Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Diamonds in the Rough

Worcester is a city of neighborhoods. While there is a downtown core, most of the city is made up of smaller neighborhoods, many of which have been overlooked for many years. This thread is about those squares, corners, neighborhoods, and streets which are currently dull or unnoticed, but which or one reason or another hold a lot of potential if they only got a break. This is my list, but I am hoping that people will add to it. However you like

Even though there are many neighborhoods, there are not many with good potential building wise. The whole Park Ave for example is just ugly, now matter how many restaurants and bars open there. Moe's will help the Webster Square, but lets face it, that's just an ugly area. I think the city should really concentrate on the few with existing assets, the real

I don't think great buildings are really the true measure of success. In fact, I think there is too much concentration on them - focus on the building, while what really makes a place vibrant is the surroundings.

The buildings along Park Ave, particularly that little stretch, actually are pretty good, if well hidden. The one that holds That's Entertainment and Jelly's is actually pretty good - it just has had so many cheap alterations that it looks pretty bad right now.

I think the canal district has a lot going for it, but I am worried that they are going to focxus too much on the lofts and renovations, and miss creating a place. Worcester is just not that hip a crowd right now to make it work - thus all the places closing down.

but I am worried that they are going to focxus too much on the lofts and renovations, and miss creating a place. Worcester is just not that hip a crowd right now to make it work - thus all the places closing down.

Sure, great buildings by themselves are not a measure of success, but wouldn

That's the attitude that has prevented Worcester from being anything already. The fact is that thre is more to a city than just a couple of noteable buildings. Sure, Webster Square does not have any lagre noteable buildings. But it does have some more than respectable store fronts, even if they have been terribly covered over in modernization attempts. Look at Main street between Mill and Stafford. It takes quite a bit of vision, but the bones are there. I certainly think that the Canal District offers a lot of hope, but don't neglect everything else.

I wonder how much the big sales O'Coins is generating over their closing are influencing Chevalier to "downsize". To be honest, I forget they are even there until I drive by. I am sure it will become loft apartments - that seems to be the big motivator. How much of those style residences can the market hold, however, at the rates they are getting for them?

That's the attitude that has prevented Worcester from being anything already. The fact is that thre is more to a city than just a couple of noteable buildings. Sure, Webster Square does not have any lagre noteable buildings. But it does have some more than respectable store fronts, even if they have been terribly covered over in modernization attempts. Look at Main street between Mill and Stafford. It takes quite a bit of vision, but the bones are there. I certainly think that the Canal District offers a lot of hope, but don't neglect everything else.

What building do you consider notable in Webster Square? The Canal District running all the way down Millbury St. is more than a few buildings. The streets are small, intimate, and it represents one of the best cityscapes in the whole city. I think it represents the best urban feel in the entire area and it has the most potential for development.

I didn't say there were any noteable ones, only that there were a number of decent ones. For instance on the south side of Main street are a couple of modern buildings with curved croners and such. If you look beyond the storefronts they have now, particularly at the second floors, you can see them. Likewise you have the knife factory, although I hear that is in particularly bad shape.And further up Mian Street you do have a few old timber buildings.