Growth Rate of Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easily, Rogers might even get that within a year.

It may be time for Rogers to start planning on what to do with all the Federal Funding it'll be receiving in a couple more years, but Rogers will probably have to wait for the official US Census before receiving funds from the Feds.

^^

I'd like to see some money spent on fixing up 8th Street (71B). Anyone driving into Rogers on 8th Street would think the town wasn't doing to well. Very little has changed on 8th Street since I've moved to NWA, except an Advance Auto and a Neighborhood Market. There's some depressing areas of 8th Street.

^^

I'd like to see some money spent on fixing up 8th Street (71B). Anyone driving into Rogers on 8th Street would think the town wasn't doing to well. Very little has changed on 8th Street since I've moved to NWA, except an Advance Auto and a Neighborhood Market. There's some depressing areas of 8th Street.

8th Street is a bit depressing, but what can you do to an area like that?

I would say make 8th Street a Boulevard, but other road projects are needed in Rogers.

I would say make 8th Street a Boulevard, but other road projects are needed in Rogers.

I agree. Rogers needs more infill development. It's so much easier with so much developable land to built on the outskirts or on large vacant parcels but ultimately tearing down and rebuilding some of this run-down commercial development is a key to keeping Rogers moving forward, especially in competition with the other cities. The time to do it is now while the area is a red hot market, if you wait until growth slows nobody will want to take the time or effort to renovate these buildings.

There are big parts of Springdale that could use redevelopment as well, particularly along Thompson, and I would've liked to see the stadium used to try to jumpstart redevelopment in a declining part of town.

The same can be said of College in Fayetteville, though it's in better shape, but I feel pretty confident that will happen anyway.

I agree. Rogers needs more infill development. It's so much easier with so much developable land to built on the outskirts or on large vacant parcels but ultimately tearing down and rebuilding some of this run-down commercial development is a key to keeping Rogers moving forward, especially in competition with the other cities. The time to do it is now while the area is a red hot market, if you wait until growth slows nobody will want to take the time or effort to renovate these buildings.

There are big parts of Springdale that could use redevelopment as well, particularly along Thompson, and I would've liked to see the stadium used to try to jumpstart redevelopment in a declining part of town.

The same can be said of College in Fayetteville, though it's in better shape, but I feel pretty confident that will happen anyway.

College will get developed into condo and mixed used development in the future because of it's proximity to Downtown Fayetteville. I believe it's also in the Downtown Masterplan.

Thompson could have used the stadium, but where would you find a land parcel that big with tenants agreeing to give up the land.

College will get developed into condo and mixed used development in the future because of it's proximity to Downtown Fayetteville. I believe it's also in the Downtown Masterplan.

Thompson could have used the stadium, but where would you find a land parcel that big with tenants agreeing to give up the land.

For the price they're going to pay George for the land there, you could tear down some old strip centers and easily get the land on 71.

Yeah, College has a ton of potential.

Yeah College certaionly has potential. I just wish some developments would start taking off at least on the section near Dickson. I'd really like to see some activity like everything that's going on around Dickson be carried over to there.

What about the area around 8th St and Walnut (both 71B)-- I always thought it was interesting you have a nice downtown Rogers, then going west it isn't that great until you get sort of past Frisco Mall (I remember that weird looking Best Sports, which isn't there anymore... then there's that old Wal-Mart buildling). There's a lot of traffic going through there, and it's location seems natural for possible nice developments in the future (north of there it seems okay, it's just south of there along 8th that seems run down).

What about the area around 8th St and Walnut (both 71B)-- I always thought it was interesting you have a nice downtown Rogers, then going west it isn't that great until you get sort of past Frisco Mall (I remember that weird looking Best Sports, which isn't there anymore... then there's that old Wal-Mart buildling). There's a lot of traffic going through there, and it's location seems natural for possible nice developments in the future (north of there it seems okay, it's just south of there along 8th that seems run down).

It's good land, but nothing ever lasts there.

There was a furniture store there not too long ago (The Guy from the Take 2 Video commercials owned it). Plus there's some aweful looking old homes that should be restored, but the owners are stupid and are letting them rot. Then there's the Shelby Lane Mall in the other corner that still does moderate business. There was a few gas stations there as well, but they never lasted.

It's good land, but nothing ever lasts there.

There was a furniture store there not too long ago (The Guy from the Take 2 Video commercials owned it). Plus there's some aweful looking old homes that should be restored, but the owners are stupid and are letting them rot. Then there's the Shelby Lane Mall in the other corner that still does moderate business. There was a few gas stations there as well, but they never lasted.

The good news is that the old K-Mart(?) next to Frisco Station Mall is being redeveloped into office space. From the picture on the giant sign in front of it there will be a couple of offices with several thousand feet each. Could be a good boost to revitalize that area of Walnut.

BTW... I've always liked that pair of "haunted houses" next to the Wal-Mart Benefits offices. I wish they could have been saved before it was too late, which by the looks of them it's too late.

The good news is that the old K-Mart(?) next to Frisco Station Mall is being redeveloped into office space. From the picture on the giant sign in front of it there will be a couple of offices with several thousand feet each. Could be a good boost to revitalize that area of Walnut.

BTW... I've always liked that pair of "haunted houses" next to the Wal-Mart Benefits offices. I wish they could have been saved before it was too late, which by the looks of them it's too late.

That sign has been up at the Old K-Mart Building for over a year, and nothing has happened. I'm starting to wonder if the project has been called off.

On a plus note, the Wellness Center is right behind the Frisco Mall and looks pretty good, may'be it will add so revitalization to the area.

That sign has been up at the Old K-Mart Building for over a year, and nothing has happened. I'm starting to wonder if the project has been called off.

On a plus note, the Wellness Center is right behind the Frisco Mall and looks pretty good, may'be it will add so revitalization to the area.

That's odd. I only just noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but I don't pay much attention to that side of the mall as I always use the Dixieland entrance. The Wellness Center does look like a good investment in that part of the city. It's just going to be a long haul before revitalization is really noticed there.

Yeah College certaionly has potential. I just wish some developments would start taking off at least on the section near Dickson. I'd really like to see some activity like everything that's going on around Dickson be carried over to there.

Dickson prices are getting to high to push over there.

I would like to see more of this multistory development occur on college and keep Dickson more of a low-rise area like it is now. It won't be long before we see things pick up over there.

Dickson prices are getting to high to push over there.

I would like to see more of this multistory development occur on college and keep Dickson more of a low-rise area like it is now. It won't be long before we see things pick up over there.

Yeah I'm sure people wouldn't complain too much if some of these developments were taking place just a little bit away over on College Ave. But it would seem that prices on Dickson will eventually push some development a little further away to places like College.

Yeah I'm sure people wouldn't complain too much if some of these developments were taking place just a little bit away over on College Ave. But it would seem that prices on Dickson will eventually push some development a little further away to places like College.

That's what I meant to say but I left a word out of my sentence. Dickson area prices are getting excessively high. The spacing of the buildings along College will allow for much easier parking.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Skyline Report this morning and found out some info that might be interesting to a few. First of all Benton county is not doing so good. They are way over built on about everything from Residential to Commercial. Washington county is doing better for the time being. The Rogers/Bentonville area has a 60-66 month supply on housing. Meanwhile Fayetteville/S-Dale only have a 20 month supply currently. Benton county has over 12,000 lots available as compared w/ Washington's nearly 7000 lots.

On the commercial side, Fayetteville is doing very well with extremely low vacancy rates across the board. However the Benton county cities are slowly absorbing some of the new construction but still having trouble filling up. There are over 10 million sq ft of announced commercial comming to the area over the next few quarters.

Anyway, that is a brief update on whats going on. It look like we are starting to overbuild the entire metro. Washington county, being more mature, is adapting well. Benton county is having some trouble. Looking at the special census numbers, Rogers and B-Ville both increased by around 10000 each. F-Ville stayed ahead with pretty much the same numbers, but S-Dale really increased with closer to 15000.

The Rogers/Bentonville area has a 60-66 month supply on housing. Meanwhile Fayetteville/S-Dale only have a 20 month supply currently. Benton county has over 12,000 lots available as compared w/ Washington's nearly 7000 lots.

Yeah it seems like everyone in my apartment complex is moving into a new home for the past couple of months. An oversupply of housing is very good news to some people like me who has a family and a single income. In a couple years I may be able to find a half million dollar home going for $150K and depending on the market I could probably get it for as little as $125K if I'm lucky. My word to developers is keep on building because the same thing happened in Dallas where my brother bought a new $350K house for only $120K. It's just too bad they're not building more affordable housing for under $100K as they wouldn't sit vacant for 5 years like all their "fancy" houses.

Yeah it seems like everyone in my apartment complex is moving into a new home for the past couple of months. An oversupply of housing is very good news to some people like me who has a family and a single income. In a couple years I may be able to find a half million dollar home going for $150K and depending on the market I could probably get it for as little as $125K if I'm lucky. My word to developers is keep on building because the same thing happened in Dallas where my brother bought a new $350K house for only $120K. It's just too bad they're not building more affordable housing for under $100K as they wouldn't sit vacant for 5 years like all their "fancy" houses.

I've been wondering how strong the reasons have been for the speculative development for a couple of years. I was thinking maybe it could be Lindsey's downfall, which would seem to be divine payback for building so many identical apartments. I do hope it means a cheaper house for me, but I wonder what kind of trickling effect it will have on the rest of us.

For the past 3 months a developer friend of mine says that a lot of developers are turning their keys in because they just can't sell. Houses for $100,000 go easily but $220,000+ is just not selling. The prices are outrageously high priced for sure, and especially across the country.

I wish they had at least taken time to invest in not building simply the traditional way but adding new "green" houses. Look at California!

I think the biggest problem is that developers all jumped on board with the $200,000 and above houses. Sometimes even more into the $250,000 and above. I think there's still demand but few developers put much effort into stuff under $200,000 where there is still demand. I'm also wondering if quality could also be coming more into it. I was talking to a vendor recently and he was compaining how the subdivision he moved into had such shoddy construction on the houses there and they're all around $225,000. He said a lot of his neighbors are moving out because they were put up so quickly and weren't put together very well at all.

I think the biggest problem is that developers all jumped on board with the $200,000 and above houses. Sometimes even more into the $250,000 and above. I think there's still demand but few developers put much effort into stuff under $200,000 where there is still demand. I'm also wondering if quality could also be coming more into it. I was talking to a vendor recently and he was compaining how the subdivision he moved into had such shoddy construction on the houses there and they're all around $225,000. He said a lot of his neighbors are moving out because they were put up so quickly and weren't put together very well at all.

The same thing seems to be happening in LR with the $500,000+ and $1 mil+ houses in far west LR. High-end builders got way too optimistic and overbuilt and now you're going to see a stagnating inventory and probably some price reductions. Finding buyers with those with higher interest rates is going to very tough. The city of LR itself is very short on the $100k-$300k range of homes though there are plenty in the metro outside of Pulaski Co and in Maumelle.

I suspect you're right about Benton Co and the same phenomenon with high-end housing. The difference is that while Benton Co inventories are growing that if they stopped building tomorrow there would be people to buy all of those homes relocating there, which is why I think we'll see a fall in construction pace but the drop in now home prices will be pretty modest. I also bet some of the same builders will shift towards Washington Co some. Some homebuilders will continue to build with blind optimism, though, regardless of market conditions, especially in a rapidly-growing market. Maybe some builders will just focus on more affordable housing brackets.

Arkansas builders, not just NWA but the whole state, can be a bit unreliable. Part of this is the lack of national builders like Centex, Lennar, Toll Brothers and DR Horton here. I swear I know so many people that have had trouble with the small homebuilding operations in NWA and Central AR and it seems so rare in TX. Maybe the state needs to be a lot more aggressive about policing the contractors.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived