More development a real possibilty around the roundabout

smeagolsfree

From the Tennessean.

Again the rumors are flying around the south end of Demonbreun for more condos and apartments. I think you will probably see a major hotel on that end of town too, but of course this is speculation. I tend to do that a lot, but my instincts have been close so far.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1197/COUNTY01

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a former Music Row worker, I have a little insight to the (shortsighted) mindset of Music Row about surrounding properties. Believe me, the 'higher ups' on the Row will make a lot of noise if a proposal doesn't suit their perspective.

1) A former high-up boss told me the Shoney's/parking lot/Reba properties along Demonbreun should not be redeveloped AT ALL. He said "we need that area for parking." That's all he could think about.. his huge car. I garuntee his opinion was at least partly shaped by those of his peers.

2) The previous proposal for the Adelicia site. Same boss said 'they' (meaning he and other Row leaders/property owners) were rallying against it because it was 'too tall' and didn't fit with the neighborhood. This may have been true to some extent, but in reality the Adelicia isn't THAT much different than the previous proposal as far is 'fitting in.' Again, he also said that property was needed 'for parking.'

Granted, a huge number of Music Row execs live in Brentwood and they don't care about us city dwellers, but I would prefer them to keep out of matters regarding improvment of the built environment in the core of the city. Especially when it has minimal to no impact on their lives whatsoever.

He said "we need that area for parking." That's all he could think about.. his huge car. I garuntee his opinion was at least partly shaped by those of his peers.

2) The previous proposal for the Adelicia site. Same boss said 'they' (meaning he and other Row leaders/property owners) were rallying against it because it was 'too tall' and didn't fit with the neighborhood. This may have been true to some extent, but in reality the Adelicia isn't THAT much different than the previous proposal as far is 'fitting in.' Again, he also said that property was needed 'for parking.'

Granted, a huge number of Music Row execs live in Brentwood and they don't care about us city dwellers, but I would prefer them to keep out of matters regarding improvment of the built environment in the core of the city. Especially when it has minimal to no impact on their lives whatsoever.

I think these people are going to have to get used to the idea of parking garages in that area. Nashville is no longer the smallish, sleepy southern city it once was.

There are already several rather large garages around Music Row. Gaylord has the largest, UA has underground, Roundabout, MCA, and others. I question how much say any music executive would have regarding property they didn't own. Even if some are property owners, the tide is changing with the valuation of the property in the area. Just ask Reba. She used to own the land where the Roundabout Plaza sits now...I don't know if she still owned it when the Roundabout guys bought it, but as far as I know Starstruck still owns the Mandrell land. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Reba doesn't need the money, but they certainly know the value of "the deal." Maybe her "W" is still possible.

Personally, I don't want Music Row itself to change much. That, imo, would be catastrophic and a huge loss to an integral part of what makes Nashville, Nashville. With what I've seen with renovations and small businesses moving in, I think the area is poised for caution to prevent a wholesale wrecking of the area. Much of it has changed to an enormous degree, but now is the time to be careful with how far we allow big money to take over. There's room for both.

Amazing what 4 or 5 stories can do to soothe the savage neighborhood. I think another factor is that the people that will live in the Adelicia will spend a lot more than Vandy graduate students. I think that is what they had proposed there before. Amazing what money can do.

Archived