What if Mellon Financial Plaza Tower had a crown?

UrbaniDesDev

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MellonFinancialTower.jpg

If Mellon Financial Tower had a crown, much like the crown of The Bank of America Plaza Tower in Atlanta, it would have a great new presence in downtown Pittsburgh. It would become the tallest building in Pittsburgh and would off set the black box that is USX Tower.

What do you think?

:yahoo:

Hi there... :yahoo:

I hope it's okay, but I used a new photo from the brilliant "FLASH" to render a mellon centre with a crown. Given that it's Mellon ... I kept it green in color.

Once again the original photo is from FLASH ... and here's my rendering

crown0ds.th.jpg

Those are nice graphics, and by the way welcome to the forum to you both, hope you have lots to add :). I think the way it would go into the record books though is that U.S. Steel Tower (your going back to the 90s with that USX stuff) would still be the tallest. Unless the addition is "structural" and a uniform part of the 'scraper it would just be decorative top or "antenna", those don't count in overall building height. It would look nice though in some ways :).

Those are nice graphics, and by the way welcome to the forum to you both, hope you have lots to add :). I think the way it would go into the record books though is that U.S. Steel Tower (your going back to the 90s with that USX stuff) would still be the tallest. Unless the addition is "structural" and a uniform part of the 'scraper it would just be decorative top or "antenna", those don't count in overall building height. It would look nice though in some ways :).

I think the way he has the spire molded into the crown would allow for it to be counted as structural. This is how the Petronas Towers beat out the Sears Tower.

I agree that its very arbitary. I think the ceiling of the highest occupiable floor is how things should be counted. Then again, some buildings cheat on that. For instance, the Empire State building has a "102nd floor" as its highest floor (the spire on top is not "structural" and thus does not count towards its height but the "102nd floor" does). However, the highest real floor is the 86th. Between that and 102nd is a pillar. I'm not even sure what is on the "102nd floor" since I don't think its open. Its probably the place where people getting out of zepplins are supposed to enter (the Emprie State once having a mooring post for zepplins).

Archived