Manchester's Future

M. Brown

By the 2010 census Manchester is gonig to be at least 115,000. Mabey 120,000. With the new riverfront developments, the new baseball stadium, and the new arena football team, Manchester is going to be bigger than every and growing faster and faster. Its importance in the New England economy will be greater than ever on par with that of Providence, Hartford, Springfield, and Worcester. People are going to know that Manchester is in New Hampshire and its the biggest city in the state, and that NH is not just UNH hockey, Old Man in the Mountain, skiing, cold and snow, and not "Cow Hampshire,". Oh I cannot wait. The money the city will receive from the new baseball team and the arena football team will just ingnite Manchesters growth. Trust me. Manchester is gonna be where its at. :) We already have the best Airport ;)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they havent started on the riverfront yet and the stadium either. It will soon. Its suppose to be done by 2005. its certain. http://www.manchesternh.gov/devprojects/ri...ontstadium.html Thats some info and a rendering on the staduim and the surounding area on the last link.

4378manchester_jan_25_04_105_.jpg

Where I was, at in this pic, is where the field is going to be.

I'm guilty of calling New Hampshire- "Cow Hampshire" and I apologize. I actually have quite a few friends there who I love to tease and I spend alot of time in the Nashua/ Hollis area.

One important issue to Manchester is the expansion or rt 101 to/ from rt 95 and the Seacoast. It was always difficult to get to Manchester from the east. Now the area has a stronger connection to the cities in MA and NH along rt 495 like Salem, NH, Haverhill, MA and Lawrence.

At school out the the blue somebody said the "In about 10 years Manchester is gonna be like Boston". I was soo deeply touched by that :) I wasnt even talking to her about Manchester or anything. She was just looking out the window at the skyline. I just said yup. But most likely wont get to Boston's level but that was awesome hearing that from a normal person. Not that we arent normal.

I have to go to Manchester. Without another visit (was there last summer) I would place it far below Hartford and Providence and below worcester and spring field. Hartford has real skyscrapers. Providence has a big downtown with some bona-fide mini-scrapers I see Manchester as nearly on par with Nashua and bigger, but not as pretty or chic, as portsmouth. I can't imaging anyone seriously thinking it is getting close to Boston, but like you said, maybe we (meaning me) aren't nromal here.

NH population is growing fast, but it's mostly outside the old city centers from what I have seen.

BTW, I have never used the terms "cow hampshire, masshole or vomit (VT)", but I do like Maniac for Maine.

Manchester is a big mill town being situated on the Merrimac. I always think of the huge red- brick mills you can see from the highway and all over downtown.

To compare it to other New England cities you also have to concider its prospects for future development. Manchester seems to be in a better position to grow than Springfield, Hartford and maybe even Worcester.

I've been to Providence, Worcester, and Springfield. Out of all of those Providence seems bigger. Worcester, was big, but it wasnt as urban as I thought it would be. Springfield look nice and it was pretty. But Manchester is definately more urban than Nashua and more of a city. Its Manchester and Nashua are not on the same par. Manchester is definately on a higher par than Nashua. The downtown streets of Nashua are curvy and suburban like. Manchester steets are much more centered and form more of a real downtown. Manchester does have the best development and growth oportunities of all of them. Portsmouth, and Concord are urban, but they still have more of a small town ambiance. They are more urban than Nashua I think. Im not trying to bash Nashua. I think its downtown is very nice. BAE systems brings alot of jobs there. Thats where my dad works. Providence, Worcester, Springfield, and Hartford have had their growth spurts already and now its Manchester's turn.

• 1 year later...

Rhode Islanders are far worse, I grew up in Mass. they ain't got nothin' on Rhode Island when it comes to bad driving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totaly agree. The are maniacs in RI. Me and my dad last year went to the Airshow in RI. First we saw this old guy on the highway driving highway speed on the GRASS!!! Then this crazy woman was going like 150 through the traffic swerving all over the place and almost hit us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been to Providence, Worcester, and Springfield.  Out of all of those Providence seems bigger.  Worcester, was big, but it wasnt as urban as I thought it would be.  Springfield look nice and it was pretty.  But Manchester is definately more urban than Nashua and more of a city.  Its Manchester and Nashua are not on the same par.  Manchester is definately on a higher par than Nashua.  The downtown streets of Nashua are curvy and suburban like.  Manchester steets are much more centered and form more of a real downtown.  Manchester does have the best development and growth oportunities of all of them. Portsmouth, and Concord are urban, but they still have more of a small town ambiance.  They are more urban than Nashua I think.  Im not trying to bash Nashua.  I think its downtown is very nice.  BAE systems brings alot of jobs there.  Thats where my dad works.  Providence, Worcester, Springfield, and Hartford have had their growth spurts already and now its Manchester's turn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been to all of them too. Providence felt like it was the biggest out of them all, even though it's only about 20 sq miles. It does have the largest city and metro population. To me, Springfield and Worcester didn't feel very large or urban. I felt that Manchester had more of an urban look and feel than Springfield or Worcester, but less than Providence. Nashua felt the most like a suburb, by far, and I was really surprised by that. I thought Nashua would have been more like Manchester.

The biggest thing that is going to really put Manchester ontop is the Airport Connecter from the highway. That is going to be a HUGE factor in the future of Manchester. Also the widening of I-93 and the improvments on I-293 in downtown Manchester. Can't wait to get out and take more pics.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't know of any Skydeck in Manchester. There used to be a restaurant called "High 58" on top of the Wall Street Tower building, but now it is a private residence... Perhaps they will put one on the apartment building tower that's being built on Elm Street?

I don't know of any Skydeck in Manchester.  There used to be a restaurant called "High 58" on top of the Wall Street Tower building, but now it is a private residence...  Perhaps they will put one on the apartment building tower that's being built on Elm Street?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just called High 5 not 58

• 3 weeks later...

I totaly agree.  The are maniacs in RI.  Me and my dad last year went to the Airshow in RI.  First we saw this old guy on the highway driving highway speed on the GRASS!!!  Then this crazy woman was going like 150 through the traffic swerving all over the place and almost hit us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO:)

Archived