Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

Apple flagship store coming to Back Bay

I didn't realize there wasn't an Apple Store in Boston proper yet. This 4-story store on Boylston should see my business, even with a smaller store coming to Providence Place.

Apple plans flagship store in Back Bay. Computer maker aims to build 4-story 'jewel' [Boston.com]

They'll do really well there. A lot of the schools around the Fens (i.e. Wentworth, Berklee) give their students Apple laptops.

when is it supposed to open???

Sometime this summer I think. It will also be a 24-hour store I think.

The Weekly Dig had an article on this (which I can't find online probably because the new issue came out today), about this store. Apple is facing strong resistance from neighbourhood groups who oppose the design. Apple has made it clear they are not afraid to walk away from this proposal if it becomes too much of a headache to deal with.

The Back Bay arch. comm. approved the store design yesterday....slowly but surely.

That's good, this will certainly contibute more to the street than a Copy Cop.

It's funny that the BBAC demanded that they add those vertical columns...I don't really feel that they make it blend in any better. Not that I'm complaining, I like the building.

For what its worth, I walked by there last week and the existing building is under demolition already.

This site has a webcam documenting the construction of the new Back Bay Apple Flagship store. You need to refresh the page to get updated images.

As you can see, demolition is well under way:

image.jpg

Construction of the store is set to immediately follow the demo process.

Well, demo finished up a couple of months ago, and they are prepping the site for construction. They have shored up the Boylston St. sidewalk, filled the site to eliminate the basement, and prepped the adjacent buildings.

post-1289-1180133569_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1180133569_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up in the last year.

Anyway, the grand opening of the Boylston St. store was this evening. It looks impressive, loads of glass. It is now the largest Apple store in the country, three floors.