Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skyliner

New Commerce Secretary

Bob Faith of Charleston has stepped down from the position he held as State Commerce Secretary, saying he wants to spend more time with his family. Governor Sanford quickly appointed Joe E. Taylor Jr., a Columbia business owner. It surprised some business leaders that this move came before the election, but Taylor assures everyone that he will work hard to improve the state's horrendous unemployment rate.

New Commerce Chief Named

New blood is always welcome. Hopefully he will make some progress in our state. I don't know how much influence this position has though. Any info would be welcome.

Since the Commerce department will receive over $14 million more than it had been budgeted in the past for recruitment of jobs, I'd say it has at least a little influential power. :unsure:

In the article, he did say he'd be spending a whole lot of time in the Upstate, so I hope we reap some immediate benefits from his appointment. I'm ready to see a better alliance between all regions of the state.

Taylor addresses job creation his first week into the job. One point that he brings out that I hadn't realized is that SC is creating jobs, simply not fast enough to keep up with the growing labor force. Read the article here.