Providence Parks and Green Space

Cotuit

From the Prov Parks Dept:

"WATERFRONT PARK ANNOUNCEMENT RESCHEDULED

The news conference announcing a major new city park, which was scheduled for Tuesday, April 18 at 10:30 a.m. at the intersection of Eddy and Ship Streets, has been rescheduled for Monday, April 24 at 10 a.m."

Does anyone have info on this?

Heh .... could be that proposed canal and waterfire expansion. I'd call that a major proposal...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to take a shot at this....I would say it is the area between 903 and the foundry lofts. I was in the 903 the other day and they had an architectural drawing of an entire river walk. I assume this would also connect to that American Locomotive Works. This is only a guess.....

If I had to take a shot at this....I would say it is the area between 903 and the foundry lofts. I was in the 903 the other day and they had an architectural drawing of an entire river walk. I assume this would also connect to that American Locomotive Works. This is only a guess.....

that would actually be an awesome way to help that area.

Heh .... could be that proposed canal and waterfire expansion. I'd call that a major proposal...

I think the city's official position on the Ship Street Canal is no.

Seeing as this announcement is taking place at Eddy and Ship, I assume it is Ship Street Landing, which won't be able to be fully realized until 195 is moved. But they should be able to make some improvements that will in effect act as mitigation in the area in advance of the highway being moved.

I'm sure the riverwalk around the Promenade and ALCO will be improved, but I imagine if they were making an official announcement about it, they'd make it in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think someone did something like this in san francisco. i know i've seen stuff like this before.

The link that Cotuit posted is actually a Boston.com feature on the group that did this in San Francisco, not in Boston. I haven't heard of it done anywhere else, though it's something the Provflux people should seriously consider.

yup. the woman in the mayor's office that i met with a few weeks ago joked that the economic development actually followed the environmental infastructure improvements; that is, that every time they put up one of their median planters or planted a bunch of trees, a starbucks would spring up right across. She was convinced they were tracking the landscaping.

I am very interested to find out how the financial and emotional committment to the environment has paid out to the city of chicago. For every dollar spent on landscaping, what is the return? That, i hope, will be for the target of my NEXT trip.

:lol:

yup. the woman in the mayor's office that i met with a few weeks ago joked that the economic development actually followed the environmental infastructure improvements; that is, that every time they put up one of their median planters or planted a bunch of trees, a starbucks would spring up right across. She was convinced they were tracking the landscaping.

Remember, everytime you plant a tree, an immigrant family loses their home. :ph34r::lol:

so i spent some time walking around elmhurst/wanskuck today and noticed something that really bothered me. the fiancee and i were checking out wedding ceremony sites (thinking about using the chapel at PC) and walked through campus and then decided to walk to mr lemon because i have a serious addiction to that stuff... anyways, we wanted to sit down and eat/drink our frozen lemonade. there's a park on corina st, which is right around the corner from mr lemon (in the neighborhoods off of hawkins st). it's a pretty good sized park with a baseball field, tennis courts, and basketball courts, along with a small playground and one of those walls to play tennis again (not sure what they're called).

Windows Live Local view

The park has been completely forgotten, but it's an awesome park and would be a great neighborhood park for that neighborhood. there's a lot of kids that live around there. there's only 1 basketball court that has nets (or even hoops), there's no nets on the tennis court, and the baseball field has been completely overgrown (you can't raelly tell it's there except for the fact that there's a backstop and home plate). There's a nice little sitting area with some cement tables and stools that are all covered in graffiti. the grass hasn't been tended to, it's filled with litter, and it could really just use a weekend's worth of TLC from the city or neighborhood. they need to plant new grass, fix the playground up (maybe add a bit to it), fix up the ball field and the tennis and basketball courts and the park would be perfect for the neighborhood (which needs its own work as well, but the houses along the street the park is on seem to actually be cared for (believe it or not)).

anyone know anything about this park or how to go about getting the city to actually tend to it?

EDIT: I can't seem to get that link to actually display as a link... is UP having issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jen, I have a question about who to report sick trees to.

Where Washington crosses South Main and becomes Waterman near the bus tunnel, there is a traffic island between where the bus lane splits off to go into the tunnel and Washington Place. On that island there are a handful, 5 maybe 6, of rather mature, previously quite healthy trees. This summer they are totally wilted, one has lost all of its leaves and may be dead. I'm pretty sure the problem is that the brick sidewalk goes all the way to the trunk of the trees, there's no room around the trees for water to seep into the ground, and the trees are pushing up some of the bricks, indicating that the trees are strangling, what little water there is can't get up.

Who should I contact about getting the bricks removed, this is technically a traffic island, its not a park really, and South Main is a state road, but I think it would be considered Washington Place. I'd remove the bricks myself, but I have no way to haul the extras away, and I'd probably get some vandalism citation or something. :rolleyes:

Jen, I'd like to lodge an "informal" complaint of sorts.

In Waterplacew Park, there's a walkway from the basin heading north until you reach the staircase leading up to Francis St. and Station Park. Along this section there were 4 trees planted. They had become mature and added shade to that section of Waterplace. When my wife and I went to WaterFire a few weeks ago, I noticed that these trees were cut down. I was like, "WTF? Who would want to cut down these trees that added shade and beauty to this place?" Just when they hade matured, they were cut down. That's not right at all, and now instead of trees there WaterPlace has stumps. Who's responsible for this?

Jen, I'd like to lodge an "informal" complaint of sorts.

In Waterplacew Park, there's a walkway from the basin heading north until you reach the staircase leading up to Francis St. and Station Park. Along this section there were 4 trees planted. They had become mature and added shade to that section of Waterplace. When my wife and I went to WaterFire a few weeks ago, I noticed that these trees were cut down. I was like, "WTF? Who would want to cut down these trees that added shade and beauty to this place?" Just when they hade matured, they were cut down. That's not right at all, and now instead of trees there WaterPlace has stumps. Who's responsible for this?

Hi:

the city forestry department tree resource manager/tree inspector (in the forestry department)or the city forester would have to condemn these trees prior to them being taken down. I would call either one of them at 785-9450 and find out why they were condemned. And if theey weren't condemned, the city forester will find out who cut them down and probably cite the offending party. I am not, unfortunately, municipally empowered, although i have asked to be deputized so i can give tickets. I'm still waiting for my badge and my little book of carbon copy tickets.

Archived