Providence Parks and Green Space

Cotuit

hi. I have a question about the grass strip between sidewalk and street. Over in summit sidewalks are being repaired and the city is, thankfully, preserving the grass strip between the sidewalk and the street instead of just paving over it. However, some neighbors are expressing concerns/questions over what can/should be planted there that can stand up to the abuse of being walked/driven over. Some neighbors are requesting that the grass be paved over with sidewalk because they are tired of maintaining the strip. it is a pain to maintain it but i think it's worth it. mine is a huge pile of weeds right now but i guess that's better than concrete. anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be planted there? options for shady as well as full-sun would be helpful. I'll get any suggestions back out to the concerned neighbors.

thx!

jim

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi. I have a question about the grass strip between sidewalk and street. Over in summit sidewalks are being repaired and the city is, thankfully, preserving the grass strip between the sidewalk and the street instead of just paving over it. However, some neighbors are expressing concerns/questions over what can/should be planted there that can stand up to the abuse of being walked/driven over. Some neighbors are requesting that the grass be paved over with sidewalk because they are tired of maintaining the strip. it is a pain to maintain it but i think it's worth it. mine is a huge pile of weeds right now but i guess that's better than concrete. anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be planted there? options for shady as well as full-sun would be helpful. I'll get any suggestions back out to the concerned neighbors.

thx!

jim

get a bunch of neighbors together and you can fill out an application for some street trees with jen.

hi. I have a question about the grass strip between sidewalk and street.

I was just wondering the other day what I would do with these if I had one.

I think the average strip is a mound of dirt with grass elevated over the sidewalk height has to be hard to maintain. Something I've seen some houses do is to remove the "mound" so that the dirt is flush with the sidewalk and then replant the grass so that it is easier to mow. Seems like a good idea, and it looks nice.

- Garris

i can plant street trees right in the sidewalk--doesn't have to have a grass strip. And anyone, in my opinion, who has a grass strip and wants to pave over it should have to pay double or triple (depending on how much frontage they are paving over) their current bill to narragansett bay commission for dealing with the storm water.

Other things that can be planted in your grass strip: bulbs like tulips and daffodils, daylilies, other perennials, small (very small) shrubs like butterfly bush and spirea.

What you can't plant on the grass strip: large shrubs, christmas type evergreen trees that block access and political signs.

i can plant street trees right in the sidewalk--doesn't have to have a grass strip. And anyone, in my opinion, who has a grass strip and wants to pave over it should have to pay double or triple (depending on how much frontage they are paving over) their current bill to narragansett bay commission for dealing with the storm water.

Other things that can be planted in your grass strip: bulbs like tulips and daffodils, daylilies, other perennials, small (very small) shrubs like butterfly bush and spirea.

What you can't plant on the grass strip: large shrubs, christmas type evergreen trees that block access and political signs.

so any political signs on that grass strip are there illegally? :lol:

so any political signs on that grass strip are there illegally? :lol:

yes, actually and i have been trying to figure out how to broach this thing because i was chastised by my councilman for having ONE OF HIS signs in my tree well. It is not legal to put political signs in the public right of way and as i was wending my way thru fox point and wayland the other day on the way to the market and community garden i saw at least 100 signs in grass strips and tree wells. I can only imagine that the same can be said across providence...

So, if anyone from ward 1 or 2 is reading, and running for an office, i'd suggest you get some of those signs out of there before someone raises a stink. *smooch*

btw, not more than 10 minutes after i posted the above, i got a call from someone who reported political signs NAILED INTO TREES!

and it appears it is a state law that political signs cannot be in public right of ways, not a city law. Street trees, btw, are not only in the public right of way, but they are also subject to the tree ordinance in providence, with fines up to $500 per day...

btw, not more than 10 minutes after i posted the above, i got a call from someone who reported political signs NAILED INTO TREES!

and it appears it is a state law that political signs cannot be in public right of ways, not a city law. Street trees, btw, are not only in the public right of way, but they are also subject to the tree ordinance in providence, with fines up to $500 per day...

can you fine the person running for office? :lol:

can you fine the person running for office? :lol:

i can't but certainly since nailing things into trees is a violation of a city ordinance, someone can. And it is possible that folks who put their signs in places that are actually public right of way can, but i've been unable to find a city ordinance on it, just reference to a state law.

but, this is also an interesting lesson. Folks From City Hall Most Certainly Do Monitor This Here Internet Thing.

Folks From City Hall Most Certainly Do Monitor This Here Internet Thing.

I'd be happy to see the fire fighters union fined for every errant "Cicciline Lies" bumper sticker remaining throughout the city. Not to mention the signs they nailed to trees. :whistling:

2006-0317-firefighters.jpg

I'd be happy to see the fire fighters union fined for every errant "Cicciline Lies" bumper sticker remaining throughout the city. Not to mention the signs they nailed to trees. :whistling:

2006-0317-firefighters.jpg

i'm quite annoyed with the fire department and that whole thing... i had been looking through the union message boards and forums during that business. i just have to say "wow". i'll leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i hear jen screaming "yipee!!!"

that is old news. :) Mrs Raleigh was a wonderful, and funny lady, and I miss her. Her commitment to trees, and the urban environment, and to RI's kids (she was also a fan of boys and girls clubs and boy and girl scouts) and her love of animals was endless, and the funds she left to support those things will go a long way to making RI a much better place to live.

But, I'd rather she was still alive...

• 1 month later...

for anyone who might be downtown wandering in the rain today--i will be (with my compadres from the parks department and some volunteers) planting some 4500+ daffodil and daylily bulbs, mulching all the trees, and planting the entrances at Burnside Park. It is sure to be a sloppy messy, chilly wet day and if you come by with a cuppa tea with milk and sugar i'd be internally grateful. You'll recognize me by the yellow raincoat (or sweatshirt) with the the big green G on it, and probably a redsox hat.

i will be (with my compadres from the parks department and some volunteers) planting some 4500+ daffodil and daylily bulbs, mulching all the trees, and planting the entrances at Burnside Park.

Wonderful!

Is this city funded or through alternative sources?

- Garris

I just popped in and saw Jen. They hadn't even started planting yet, but the park looks better already. Sadly I'm stuck at work, or I'd be down there planting. One of the few days when I have pressing things and can't just leave as I please. :angry:

I just popped in and saw Jen. They hadn't even started planting yet, but the park looks better already. Sadly I'm stuck at work, or I'd be down there planting. One of the few days when I have pressing things and can't just leave as I please. :angry:

you normally get to leave at you please?

Wonderful!

Is this city funded or through alternative sources?

- Garris

the city personnel, the mulch, the bulbs and the new soil-city funded

my time- not funded

volunteers- volunteered.

:)

It was a good day. amazing how few people know how to plant a bulb but they sure do now. The park does look a lot better, and tomorrow Gtech is doing a new employee orientation in the park and they'll get to see how lovely it is. I would ask that if any of you see nice things happening in parks and the like that you call the office of neighborhood services and let them know. It will trickle down to the folks (like the ones i worked with today) and they like to know that people appreciate the good work and don't just call to complain. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow--75 trees on the west side. who's with me?

• 2 weeks later...

So this morning the subsidized housing building at the end of our street is in the process of cutting down a few large-ish evergreens (like 20'+) as well as some nice shrubs and whatnot. I dont know what the purpose is, but I'm not a fan. I have always enjoyed all the trees on our street. Bah.

IMG_2359.jpg

Archived