Providence Parks and Green Space

Cotuit

where it doesn't need to be lifted, frankly, is where college students live, because they don't need cars if they live within walking distance to their university, like Brown or RISD. Where it does need to be lifted are very dense neighborhoods where not everyone is a student, nor has a walking commute, like Federal Hill, Olneyville, upper south Providence, etc.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think it needs to be lifted everywhere, quite frankly. some college students do, in fact, need cars. for example... education majors at PC have to student teach. they need cars to get to some of the schools because the college won't guarantee them a school in the city or even near a RIPTA line outside of the city. in fact, a few of the ones i know student teach in attleboro. their assignment is their assignment, no questions asked, at least from what i've heard.

I just don't get what the argument is, for the parking ban, ever. I mean, you can park during the day, which is when there's traffic going by -- so if it's not a problem then, why on Earth is it a problem at night? Permanent residents already have their off-street spaces -- so what's the problem with allowing on-street parking on top of that? Parked cars don't make noise, block anything (or, if they do, they do it during the day, see above), or cause any other problems, except possibly for snow removal, which normal cities already have regulations to handle (e.g., Worcester's no-parking-on-one-side-of-the-street-during-snow-season rule). Some irrational fear of college students invading the city with thousands of ugly old cars? Geezus, don't we have bigger fish to fry than that?

Urb (full disclosure: as a student, I drove a hideous rusty old green pickup truck)

your thing says you're from newport/east bay. where do you live? have you lived in a city or spent time in a city? it's just a normal part of city life having cars parked on the street all the time. go to boston or one of the outlying cities like cambridge or somerville, go to new york or philly. it's normal. you live with it because you live in a city.

Knowing this makes your position on on-street parking really strange to me. Newport has no overnight parking ban. Every available parking space is taken all night on the street I grew up on (about 4 blocks from you). Bridge Street has parking on only one side, but there must be cars parked in front of your house, unless you have some really unusual set-up with your neighbors. Upper Thames St. is packed with cars all night, as is every street on the Point. I can't really think of any street in Newport that DOESN'T have cars parked in front of every house (although the streets are so narrow it's usually just on one side).

Is this unacceptable or annoying in Newport? Is it somehow more annoying around Thayer St. than it is around Thames? Is it more annoying in Providence than in Newport?

Even if you don't have cars in front of your house, for some reason, why would it be annoying?

I think it is more annoying to me, because it is the city, I just feel like college kids, young obnoxious kids etc. whenever I am in providence there is always one annoying and/or drunk kid fudgeing with peoples cars. That has never happened here, so maybe I just am worried on a subconsious

I think it is more annoying to me, because it is the city, I just feel like college kids, young obnoxious kids etc. whenever I am in providence there is always one annoying and/or drunk kid fudgeing with peoples cars. That has never happened here, so maybe I just am worried on a subconsious

Um, have you lived in Newport through the summer yet? Parking or no parking has nothing to do with the crap that you have to put up with when the bars let out. Fudging with people's cars? How about puking in the bushes, pissing against the side of the house, or having screaming brawls under the bedroom windows at 2:30 a.m.? Would a parking ban miraculously fix this?

I had no idea Bridge St. was so quiet!

(Of course, I grew up back in the Newport when your car windows would get smashed for the change and bridge tokens inside, Broadway was a sea of lost old guys drinking from paper bags, and the neighborhood dogs were Dobermans, not Labs. My, how things have changed in the old 'hood. Pick your evils, I suppose.)

Bridge St. is indeed pretty quiet. It is fairly removed from the bar scene further down Thames, and you don't get the crowds of rowdy drunks at closing time because Bridge isn't really on a walking route between the bars and anything in particular.

It is kind of narrow for two-way traffic and on-streeet parking, though. I've seen cars parked partially on the sidewalk there, and God help you if you meet an SUV coming the other way!

Archived