Madison County

Mith242

Here's an area of the metro that almost nevers get mentioned. Granted it's certainly a rather quiet part of the metro area. Also rather sparsely populated with Huntsville coming in around 2,000. Just about every other town in the county is the type that you'd 'miss if you blinked'. But I thought I'd see if we can get some discussion going on with it. What would people like to see Madison County in the future? In some ways I'm a bit hesitant about bringing in lots of development. Although it is a rather poor county and probably could use something to help get things going. But it's also just west of Newton County. I guess I'm worried about sending development closer to Newton County and what I consider the heart of the Boston Mtns and Arkansas Ozarks. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madison County doesn't have much going for it right now. I believe the Supercenter over in Huntsville is about the biggest thing over there.

Anyone know much about the terrain over there?

It's certainly not like the somewhat flat terrain that can be found quite a bit in the Benton and northern half of Washington County. I'm not certain but I think at least half of the county is made up of the Boston Mtns which of course the most rugged area of the Ozarks. I suppose you could make a few arguments about southern Washington County and how little development there is there too. Although there are a few more towns and a little bit more overall population compared to Madison County. I've been wondering how long before you start having more poeple move out towards Madison County and commute to main part of the metro. For now I don't think many people have considered building houses out that direction just yet. I'm a bit concerned about having it turn into just a type of bedroom community for other areas of the metro. That and as I said before I guess I'm a bit concerned about having development reach Madison County and start moving deeper into the Ozarks, Boston Mtns and towards Newton County. Perhaps the one saving grace is that I think Fayetteville will be looking more towards more dense compact growth. I realize that not everyone in Fayetteville will agree with that vision and could move further out as that happens but I think from what I saw from the City Plan 2025 meeting that there isn't a huge amount of annexation planned for Fayetteville.

There is some beautiful land in Madison county.

I believe the area will become a bedroom community to Springdale. I talked to a businessman out that way the other day and he says its already starting.

Once 412 is widened a few more miles east, you're talking about 20 minute commutes into the heart of NWA. With a 412 bypass, it'll only be 35-40 minutes from Huntsville to Vendorville.

Housing prices and school quality will push people out there. Its inevitable.

I haven't been to the section of the county just east of the Springdale area. I am more likely to go through Hwy 16 from Fayetteville. But I'm not too surprised on the bedroom community talk. I imagine it's still probably has some of the cheapest land available in the metro.

I'm not sure about the near future, but once the 412 bypass gets completed to the east (whenever that may be), I can definitely see development ocurring out that way.

True, the bypass won't be anywhere in Madison County but it will probably have some effect on it.

True, the bypass won't be anywhere in Madison County but it will probably have some effect on it.

The bypass will push growth to MC because it will allow quick access to 540. Right now, 412 is divided freeway east of Springdale, but when it reaches Springdale it turns back into a regular street with traffic lights and congestion. The bypass will allow a quick, convenient link around Springdale to 540 for those traveling into the metro from the east.

This will make for a much quicker commute from Madison County to the employment centers of NWA.

Once its convenient, Madison County will grow rapidly IMO.

^

You think quicker than Centerton, Lowell, or McDonald County?

Not necessarily quicker, but more in the way that Farmington has taken off recently, for different reasons than the above.

Madison County will hold the appeal of a small town environment, different school district choice, and different lifestyle than can be found in Lowell or Centerton which, for the most part, are just extensions of larger towns. I don't think the growth will necessarily take place in Huntsville or any certain municipality, but will probably be more rural subdivisions which take advantage of proximity to the larger metro, but are in the Huntsville school district.

Some of it will no doubt be driven by the problems being experienced in Rogers and Springdale with gangs, etc, stuff that was unheard of in NWA ten years ago.

Not necessarily quicker, but more in the way that Farmington has taken off recently, for different reasons than the above.

Madison County will hold the appeal of a small town environment, different school district choice, and different lifestyle than can be found in Lowell or Centerton which, for the most part, are just extensions of larger towns. I don't think the growth will necessarily take place in Huntsville or any certain municipality, but will probably be more rural subdivisions which take advantage of proximity to the larger metro, but are in the Huntsville school district.

Some of it will no doubt be driven by the problems being experienced in Rogers and Springdale with gangs, etc, stuff that was unheard of in NWA ten years ago.

Yeah as many areas of Benton and Washington County grow more urban there will be people looking to move further out into a more rural setting. As you said once there is quicker access to the other areas of the metro more people will start looking to Madison County. I even have coworkers that live in Madison County and commute. Although I admit I don't know if they were already from there and got jobs closer to the metro because there weren't any there or if they moved out there to get a more rural setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how we started this topic and news about Madison County has popped up. Looks like developers bought a lot of land near the town of Hindsville which isn't too far away from the Washington/Madison County border. The reason why this development is making news is that it very well could more than double the population of Hindsville. And of course there's concern as to whether the town can handle such growth.

Funny how we started this topic and news about Madison County has popped up. Looks like developers bought a lot of land near the town of Hindsville which isn't too far away from the Washington/Madison County border. The reason why this development is making news is that it very well could more than double the population of Hindsville. And of course there's concern as to whether the town can handle such growth.

Now we're talking sprawl. The good thing is 412 to Hindsville is already 4 lanes but to have a bedroom community there would creat incredible traffic congestion in Springdale, at least until the Springdale 412 Bypass is completed.

Now we're talking sprawl. The good thing is 412 to Hindsville is already 4 lanes but to have a bedroom community there would creat incredible traffic congestion in Springdale, at least until the Springdale 412 Bypass is completed.

Yeah I'm also sure they're doing this in anticipation of the future 412 bypass. But as we mentioned before with cheaper real estate prices it's just a matter of time before they move out to Madison County.

I find Madison County extremely interesting.

In fact, when this summer comes around, I want to spend time exploring the historic places of Arkansas and really get a feel for history. It's all very interesting......

You guys might want to check out http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/

and help with the encyclopedia. It's sort of like a wikipedia for Arkansas.... I'm *hoping* I can work with them.

I find Madison County extremely interesting.

In fact, when this summer comes around, I want to spend time exploring the historic places of Arkansas and really get a feel for history. It's all very interesting......

You guys might want to check out http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/

and help with the encyclopedia. It's sort of like a wikipedia for Arkansas.... I'm *hoping* I can work with them.

Great link johnny! I'm not sure how much of an outdoorsman you are but Buffalo National River is the best camping around. Erbie Campground there has a historic cabin and farmstead within walking distance to it, although just getting to the campground will take a toll on a car which makes it that much more worthwhile.

Also in Madison County is Terra Studios just past the town of Durham. It's not really a historic site but it is very unusual and interesting.

Great link johnny! I'm not sure how much of an outdoorsman you are but Buffalo National River is the best camping around. Erbie Campground there has a historic cabin and farmstead within walking distance to it, although just getting to the campground will take a toll on a car which makes it that much more worthwhile.

Also in Madison County is Terra Studios just past the town of Durham. It's not really a historic site but it is very unusual and interesting.

Wow, very cool link.

I just remember travelling around with my parents to little towns filled with history..... it was an awsome experience. There would often be these roadside vendors selling peaches or pottery or something. And most hardly got visitors, so they were very kind and courteous.

I need to get to know my state before I pack off to college somewhere outside. But, I actually want to try to make the move back to Arkansas once I get my degrees.

Wow, very cool link.

I just remember travelling around with my parents to little towns filled with history..... it was an awsome experience. There would often be these roadside vendors selling peaches or pottery or something. And most hardly got visitors, so they were very kind and courteous.

I need to get to know my state before I pack off to college somewhere outside. But, I actually want to try to make the move back to Arkansas once I get my degrees.

Sure Johnny, sure. Your family will probably have to fight you to get you to set foot in the state again. :lol: Just kidding.

Archived