Madison County

Mith242

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm looking to start a company..... so the opportunities for me really don't matter too much. Before I sound too cocky, let me just say this is speculation at this point (obviously)...but I would really, really like to start a company.

I'm probably majoring in political science at the very least, maybe both business and political science. Or business in grad school.

The thing about "opportunities" doesn't really apply to me. But for many, many people I know at my school, it does. Students looking to go into aeronautical engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, or whatever have very few opportunities here in Arkansas compared to many other states.

The thing that most worries me about Arkansas is if it's conducive to the type of business I want to start .... economically and academically. Arkansas isn't exactly a hotspot for attracting the best and brightest.

But I'm just a teenage boy with naive ambitions and idealism, what do I know?

Well, I'm looking to start a company..... so the opportunities for me really don't matter too much. Before I sound too cocky, let me just say this is speculation at this point (obviously)...but I would really, really like to start a company.

I'm probably majoring in political science at the very least, maybe both business and political science. Or business in grad school.

The thing about "opportunities" doesn't really apply to me. But for many, many people I know at my school, it does. Students looking to go into aeronautical engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, or whatever have very few opportunities here in Arkansas compared to many other states.

The thing that most worries me about Arkansas is if it's conducive to the type of business I want to start .... economically and academically. Arkansas isn't exactly a hotspot for attracting the best and brightest.

I would encourage you not to sell Arkansas short.

Stephens Inc. has had no problem attracting good employees, and neither has Alltel or Acxiom. All of these companies require a level of technical expertise and education, too. And besides, the world's largest company has been able to survive in what used to be "little-ole" NWA, so I think if you want to start a business here lack of employees shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not trying to get too personal, I'm just curious: what kind of business do you want to start. If you don't want to post, that's fine, you can PM me - or not tell me at all! :thumbsup:

It's true that Northwest Arkansas is pretty limited when it comes to opportunites, being that Northwest Arkansas lacks any major industries like automotive, software development, biotechnology, aerospace, etc. and the fact that our very low unemployment rate keeps many of those industries from moving here.

You have to consider the opportunites in Northwest Arkansas based on the major industries here. Tyson and Wal-Mart have created a great demand for marketing research companies here in Northwest Arkansas. There are small marketing companies moving to Northwest Arkansas simply to meet this demand. JB Hunt obviously does trucking so we know what the demand is there. The University of Arkansas is the biggest science and research facility in Northwest Arkansas and they meet the demands of those industries, although the Fayetteville Research & Technology Park has quite a few startups located there that are quite impressive.

So, unless you're planning to start a marketing company you may find better opportunities elsewhere... at least until opportunities expand in Northwest Arkansas.

It's true that Northwest Arkansas is pretty limited when it comes to opportunites, being that Northwest Arkansas lacks any major industries like automotive, software development, biotechnology, aerospace, etc. and the fact that our very low unemployment rate keeps many of those industries from moving here.

You have to consider the opportunites in Northwest Arkansas based on the major industries here. Tyson and Wal-Mart have created a great demand for marketing research companies here in Northwest Arkansas. There are small marketing companies moving to Northwest Arkansas simply to meet this demand. JB Hunt obviously does trucking so we know what the demand is there. The University of Arkansas is the biggest science and research facility in Northwest Arkansas and they meet the demands of those industries, although the Fayetteville Research & Technology Park has quite a few startups located there that are quite impressive.

So, unless you're planning to start a marketing company you may find better opportunities elsewhere... at least until opportunities expand in Northwest Arkansas.

Right. But if I were to start a company....and it were in Arkansas, it would be in Little Rock. Little Rock has a pretty diverse economy for its size I believe it ranked second in economic diversity, behind Chicago.

Arkansas might not be as bad as some people think but we really could diversify and try to reach out to some of those more technical jobs Johnny mentioned. Although some of that will be difficult because I don't think some of those are things that are even taught in our universities here in the state. I'd like to first focus on bringing in jobs for some of what our universities teach but currently many of the graduates have to go out of state to get jobs. I'm hoping both Little Rock and NWA will be able to expand into some of these areas.

Arkansas might not be as bad as some people think but we really could diversify and try to reach out to some of those more technical jobs Johnny mentioned. Although some of that will be difficult because I don't think some of those are things that are even taught in our universities here in the state. I'd like to first focus on bringing in jobs for some of what our universities teach but currently many of the graduates have to go out of state to get jobs. I'm hoping both Little Rock and NWA will be able to expand into some of these areas.

Little Rock has a fairly prevalent market for "technical" jobs.

Like I've said before....Acxiom (although a large amount are in conway), Alltel, Stephens, UAMS, etc. provide a large base of employees with technical skills. I would like to see some kind of research initiative started in Little Rock like Fayetteville is trying to do. With UAMS being the center of scientific research, and the advances UALR is making in nanotech, the potential is there.

Little Rock has a fairly prevalent market for "technical" jobs.

Like I've said before....Acxiom (although a large amount are in conway), Alltel, Stephens, UAMS, etc. provide a large base of employees with technical skills. I would like to see some kind of research initiative started in Little Rock like Fayetteville is trying to do. With UAMS being the center of scientific research, and the advances UALR is making in nanotech, the potential is there.

Yeah that would be a great thing to see in Little Rock. Take advantage of some of the things that people are learning and at least give them the chance to find a job there if they might want to stay after they graduate.

We all agree that there are plenty of jobs in both Northwest Arkansas and Little Rock. But what johnny is looking for is a place to start his own business. I don't know about Little Rock, but most new businesses in Northwest Arkansas cater to Wal-Mart and it's hundreds of vendors and suppliers here. With the booming housing, commercial, retail, restaurant and banking industries in Northwest Arkansas there is also a high demand for construction, architectural, real estate and business services here. The #1 demand in Northwest Arkansas is in product marketing services for the many suppliers for Wal-Mart.

• 4 months later...

Looks like work on expanding Hwy 412 just east of Madison County to Hwy 45 will start soon. It will be widened to 4 lanes and there will also be a 4 lanes bypass built just east of Hindsville. Looks like this area is really setting up to be a bedroom community to Springdale and the rest of NWA.

It's more like straigtening a kink in the road so to speak, that's really it. Journalists don't know any better. That's like saying there's a 412 bypass around Sonora (it's more like "bypassing" a curve in the road and some buildings).

It's more like straigtening a kink in the road so to speak, that's really it. Journalists don't know any better. That's like saying there's a 412 bypass around Sonora (it's more like "bypassing" a curve in the road and some buildings).

Thanks for pointing that out itk. :D

^^

But "we're building a bypass" sounds so much better than "we're just fixing a broken road". :lol:

Ah heck, it's never broke! And if it was, it was people driving on it, not the engineers who built it!!

Seriously, though. You can think of it as upgrading the existing road to a higher standard. The older route, built who knows when, I doubt carried nearly the amount of traffic it does today, and did not have the importance it does today (as a National Highway System Route).

Ah heck, it's never broke! And if it was, it was people driving on it, not the engineers who built it!!

Seriously, though. You can think of it as upgrading the existing road to a higher standard. The older route, built who knows when, I doubt carried nearly the amount of traffic it does today, and did not have the importance it does today (as a National Highway System Route).

That brings up an interesting question... when will we start seeing "truck routes" through the cities to save on wear and tear on roads? There was talk a while back of making the Springdale Northern Bypass a truck route which would ban trucks from driving on Hwy 412. Is anything like that likely to happen?

That brings up an interesting question... when will we start seeing "truck routes" through the cities to save on wear and tear on roads? There was talk a while back of making the Springdale Northern Bypass a truck route which would ban trucks from driving on Hwy 412. Is anything like that likely to happen?

I can't concieve that happening, considering how many truck-based businesses and industries are in town and would have to utilize the existing Hwy 412. My understanding is that it is pretty rare for AHTD to ban trucks on an existing highway route. Now if it was strictly under the control of the city, then the city can pretty much do whatever they like. I don't know if the City of Springdale would consider that if given the opportunity.

• 9 months later...
Saw on KNWA the other night that the average new home sold in Madison County jumped 50% over the last year from +/- 120k to +/- 175k.

The 412 extension isn't even out to Hindsville yet.

Interesting that this has coincided with the abrupt halt in growth in the Springdale School District.......

For those of you looking for the next "Jenks" in another thread, it may just be Huntsville.

I don't know. That IS a large one year increase in the price of new homes, but Madison county hasn't been a high growth area relative to the rest of the region until just now so I'm not sure I would go as far as to call it a bubble.

What it does tell me is that developers are building more new houses, and higher quality houses out that way.

Its likely that you can get more for your money in Madison county than in the metro proper because of lower land prices, and that is helping drive development out that way.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Madison county is overbuilt, and its still not higher priced than the rest of the region.

With easier access to employment centers via expanded 412, it makes sense to me that demand is increasing out there.

Madison Co. might be seeing some of the "white flight" we keep hearing about from east Springdale since the high school split.

Plus, I think Madison county has some of the prettiest terrain in the region. I could see how it would be nice to have a large lot or maybe an acre or two out in hilly Madison Co., the same as its nice to have a big spread out in Goshen. Only in MadCo, it'd be a lot cheaper.

You make a good point there. I guess it can't be too unreasonable for great real estate potential to suddenly be discovered in Madison County which would bring new home prices up to par with the rest of the metro. I too like the landscape and scenery of Madison County. With it's closer proximity to War Eagle, Hobbs State Park, and Buffalo National River it's an excellent choice for a bedroom community.

Yeah even though home sales were down in the metro, average home prices here are still more expensive here than central Arkansas. So I'm not too surprised that more people will start looking outside Washington and Benton Counties.

Archived