Bus Ridership on the Increase in Nashville

Hankster

Here's some very positive news as reported in The Nashville City Paper concerning an incresing ridership of buses in Nashville. As cities grow it is vital that their public transportation is working well and is being used. Nashville seems to be on the right track. Here's the link:

Bus Ridership on the Increase

Here's the article:

Bus ridership continues to increase

By Judith R. Tackett, [email protected]

January 31, 2006

Bus ridership in Nashville is still rising at a record-setting pace, and the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) hopes to see close to one million more passenger boardings at the end of this fiscal year than there were last year.

The amount of riders has continuously increased this fiscal year and skyrocketed in September and October.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been driving all day in the mess downtown and compared to when I started driving for this company, traffic has gotten a lot worse. Of coarse gas being at 2.33 a gallon doesn't hurt either. My only gripe is the people that ride the bus dont know what a red light is for. They get off the bus and walk right out in front of you. They must think its like a school bus and everyone has to stop for them.

This is great news and hopeful for the rail system as well.

This article is positive and negative for me. As a daily patron of MTA I praise and curse the system. Its good to have a bus system in Nashville. Its great to have a transit system so precise. If the bus should be at this stop at 8:07, it is there at 8:07. The MTA has perfected the art in many aspects. My frustration comes when I find myself 20 blocks from the nearest line. Sure, I love to walk and enjoy the environment, but sometimes that is to far. The recent weater doesnt ever bother me. I can tollerate the cold, but when it is raining or its 100 degrees, that is a long hike. I would love to go on about how we need more routes, but i understand this will not happen until there are several years with dramatic increases in ridership. What ailes me is how it sounds nice to hear about a new bus or a new bench, but that does not help increase accessibility and knowledge of the system. Why replace a 5 year old bench on west end when there is no bench at many stops. Take the H.H. park and ride....no shelter, no bench, NO CURB! What is the advantage to park your car and ride if you have to stand in the rain and risk getting hit by a car.

This article is positive and negative for me. As a daily patron of MTA I praise and curse the system. Its good to have a bus system in Nashville. Its great to have a transit system so precise. If the bus should be at this stop at 8:07, it is there at 8:07. The MTA has perfected the art in many aspects. My frustration comes when I find myself 20 blocks from the nearest line. Sure, I love to walk and enjoy the environment, but sometimes that is to far. The recent weater doesnt ever bother me. I can tollerate the cold, but when it is raining or its 100 degrees, that is a long hike. I would love to go on about how we need more routes, but i understand this will not happen until there are several years with dramatic increases in ridership. What ailes me is how it sounds nice to hear about a new bus or a new bench, but that does not help increase accessibility and knowledge of the system. Why replace a 5 year old bench on west end when there is no bench at many stops. Take the H.H. park and ride....no shelter, no bench, NO CURB! What is the advantage to park your car and ride if you have to stand in the rain and risk getting hit by a car.

The fact that the system is so precise may help explain why it is doing so well. Many public transportation systems around the country are seeing declining, not increasing ridership. Having more passengers is the first step in justfying new buses and new bus routes. If that happens, maybe you won't have to walk so far to your stops. Anyway, I think this is very encouraging news, especially to those of us that are wanting a denser Nashville.

This is great news. I am sure gas prices will be helping out more in the future. I would not have guessed at their punctuality. Good to know they can be counted on. I also think the added bike racks on the buses adds a lot to increasing the mobility.

I hadn't noticed the bike racks. That's a great idea!

Archived