18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you walk or bike to work?

• yes
    • no
    • you've got to be kidding me

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to ride my bike to work. I think for me it would be possible, but I need to be a little more commited. I would have to ride the ferry across the Elizabeth River. Do they allow bikes? :huh:

Yes, the ferry allows bikes. I used to work for FestEvents in Norfolk and I sometimes biked from my house in Churchland to the ferry terminal downtown and rode across to work. I loved that job. There is nothing better than working outside in the summer...and in the middle of downtown right on the river. It was amazing.

I'm unemployed.

:(... lol. I wish I had a job that I could walk to, but alas, there is no such thing in Tabb. I'm surrounded by miles of suburbia and a Food Lion that isn't hiring. Ugh.

Hey, enjoy it. While i've been working since I was 16 there is no need to work at 16 normally except for fueling the car. Trust me, when the time comes when you have to have a job at all times part of you will long for the more carefree days. :lol:

Hey, enjoy it. While i've been working since I was 16 there is no need to work at 16 normally except for fueling the car. Trust me, when the time comes when you have to have a job at all times part of you will long for the more carefree days. :lol:

No kidding! You will start waking up wondering why do I have to go to work today!!!!!!! Enjoy it while you can :thumbsup:

Right now, I'm between jobs but during the past spring and summer I used to ride my bike to work in Downtown Norfolk 2-3 times a week. I live about 4 miles from downtown and the ride took about 30-35 minutes, so it was no big deal for me. I actually enjoyed the ride and it is a great way to lose weight and keep healthy!

However, I do wish this region was more bike friendly. I was in San Francisco during New Years weekend and I liked how the city encourages the use of bikes as a mode of travel. I know that some area roads have bike lanes, but with the way the current system is, its makes for a treacherous journey. And with the way urban, and now even suburban, congestion and infrastructure is around Hampton Roads, I really doubt there is a good way to fix or even create a new system.

I love it. It's a fun way to get around town. I'm hoping to get one of the new ones sooner or later. Mine is one of the first released. The new batteries last longer, but at $1300 for a new battery, I'm giving it a bit more thought. I still have no trouble getting where I need to go in DC.. The bike has been sent down to Florida.

I would if I didn't have to cross the tunnel to the pennisula!

I work on the Peninsula and have considered using the 61 "crossroads" bus or whatever it's called. I would just do the reverse of park-ride. I would park my car there and then drive to work and only bring it home on the weekends. I live downtown and RARELY use my car for anything after I get home. Especially when the weather is nice like today! I am actually going to try it out next week (short week) because I think I can make it work. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes...

I am preparing for the tolls and thinking of ways to save my sanity/breaks before the summer hits. There is usually little to no traffic coming west/south on the 64-HRBT or 664-MMBT when I am off (4-4:30) but I rememer that when I first started working in August it was insanity at the HRBT every single day. I want to wait on the new car for a couple of years while I pay off student loans so I think that would be a good way of strecthing my car's life a little longer.

I joined the world of tele-commuting back in May 2005, so I walk from my bedroom to my office across the hall. Shower? I have to, or I'd never be awake to work. Dress? Only if I have a planning commission meeting or some lunch to go to outside of the house. It has its ups, it has its downs. I'll keep with it as long as I can. I'm saving thousands on gas for the 'ole SUV.

Archived