Durham Urban Outfitters

nyxmike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is good news for Southpoint. Gotta scratch my head, though, that Urban Outfitters is coming to a shopping mall created this decade by the clearing of a bunch of woods out on the interstate. That mall, which not only killed another mall and Durham's downtown revitalization, contains a fake downtown streetscape complete with a fake smokestack. Weird.

the only Urban Outfitters I have been to have been in more urban settings... I guess that makes sense, duh. I am kind of disappointed it is going to be in a mall, but I also having a hard time imagining it anywhere else. We aren't quite at that stage yet where a large store can survive on a streetfront with limited parking. Most of them were pretty big (2-3 floors but this was also in Boston and New York) but not as large as an anchor. Anyway, I still think it is cool that there will be one close by... just wish it was in Raleigh darn it...

That is good news for Southpoint. Gotta scratch my head, though, that Urban Outfitters is coming to a shopping mall created this decade by the clearing of a bunch of woods out on the interstate. That mall, which not only killed another mall and Durham's downtown revitalization, contains a fake downtown streetscape complete with a fake smokestack. Weird.
It's just a name.

What's the average square footage for Urban Outfitters? Are they your average mall tenant size or are they large enough to be mini anchors?

I'll give Southpoint one thing, stores seem to be attracted to it.

Urban Outfitters will probably be in the old Organized Living space. I'm not sure sure how big that store is, but it's substantial. That'll also put it near The Cheesecake Factory, which is a smart move.

The Urban Outfitters I've seen are in store fronts that are about the size, or smaller than, a Gap. I would not consider UO as a mini anchor, although they would be a good fit in part of the space Organized Living was in.

Also, as noted about, the Urban in Urban Outfitters is just a name. The stores sell cool jeans, shirts, and things for hip urban spaces (like a loft).

New Haven, CT, where I live, has an Urban Outfitters and J. Crew right downtown next to Yale. It's always filled with college students. It's too bad Duke hasn't made a bigger effort to invest in new retail space downtown, because it would make Durham a better place, and give Duke students a wider variety of places to shop. Yale's done a good job in investing in the city; Duke should learn something from what Yale's done.

wow... that's pretty cool. Urban Outfitters had been on my wish list for a while. Now we need Ikea.

YES!! I was just at IKEA at Potomac Mills on the way back from DC; got a carload of cool stuff for around $200. On second thought, maybe it's best that it's that far away......

:D

There's just no pleasing you on this, I see. It's a nice store and Southpoint is a nice mall.

It's a great store, and a great mall, as malls go; but that doesn't change the fact that it killed an existing mall and a half (South Square and Northgate), plus some of U Mall in Chapel Hill, and exacerbates the sprawl pattern that has no possible connection for transit, which diminshes revitalization efforts in the area's downtowns and reduces the chances for a TTA system's success. Plus they paved over some pretty extensive acreage in really close proximity to our drinking water supply.

Archived