Observation Deck in Nashville

jice

Okay... I'm still pretty new to Nashville. So I was wondering if there are any public obseration decks, or somethin similar, in DT Nashville? What buildings are actually open where you can go up and look out them? The closest thing i've found so far is the lil tower thing at the GEC lol. Thanx in advance :thumbsup:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the L&C was the best view but like poet said, its closed. However, i believe the Viridian is going to hamper that view soon anyways. I actually rode the elevator to the top (minus two floors of penthouses) of the Rennissance last week. It is a spectacular view, however short-lived. I suggest getting of on the 22nd and walking down the hallway and look out the windows at both ends. Its about the best we can get in town.

Speaking of the revolving restaurant, does anyone know what is in there now? Is it empty? I remember when it was The Pinnacle and the view was unbelievable. It seems a waste to have it sitting empty. I heard a rumor that the rotating mechanism is broken, to costly to fix, so noone wants to invest. Any truth to that? Surly with the growth in the city, and an incresing number of high end restraunts and hotels, someone can make a buck off of it. How about an upscale swanky bar!

Unfortunately, there are none left. A woman committed suicide from the L&C Tower so its closed. Another woman jumped off of the roof of the Sheraton, so its closed.

If you are a member of the YMCA inside the financial tower, you can walk out onto an observation deck, but nothing is open to the public.

Hmmmmm....may have to become a member then.

Doorman, I need in the Ren. soon. PM me when a good time is to go up for some pics.

Well then, Nashville needs a new observation deck :) Any chance Signature will have something open to the public?

I did find this article about the L&C one:

http://vh10317.moc.gbahn.net/learn-nashvil...ent_ID=65701894

The article makes it sound like photographers can apply to use its observation deck, if they have insurance? I'm not sure what kinda insurance they are referring to.

Looks like i'll have to sneak into the Ren. :ph34r:

Aren't there various clubs atop several buildings DT? I recall, a college buddy of mine had his wedding reception in a private club on the Nashville City Center. I believe there was another one on top of the Suntrust Building.

yeah, there is the cumberland club on top of city center. my dad works for gresham smith and partners which is located in city center and get to go up there every now and then. i'm still trying to get him to get me up there so i can take some pictures.

Speaking of the revolving restaurant, does anyone know what is in there now?

I asked this same question about a month ago. I read it was just too costly to keep open, restricted to weekends and then finally closed for good... When did it switch from Crowne Plaza to Sheraton? I last went up in the Pinnacle back in fall 1994, when my friend told me what the letters L&C stood for as we watched the sign. It was a nice place.

Memphis at one point had two revolving restaurants(100 N Main and the UP Bank building next door to Clark Tower), but they are probably out of service too.

I was never aware of the suicide jumps from both buildings. Egads.

My first experience with the revolving restaurant was before the Hyatt opened. I think it was 1975. My friend Tonya and I climbed 25 floors of stairs to the top and, with our bottle of Tequila, sat on the scaffolding over the sidewalk. The incomplete restaurant loomed above us. What a view. What a couple of idiots. It was great fun.

The restaurant was then called the Polaris.

I think the Sheraton revolving restaurant is still open for special events, it was in 2002 at least. It still rotated then as well. I found it to be very neat the time I was there, adn would think if marketed right to the general public it would seem to be an idea that would do well.

No doubt. I remember dining up in the restaurant up there. It was one revolution per hour, the view was specacular, and it helped make for a wonderful dining experience. With all the new buildings about to be added to the skyline, the view can only get better. I don't see why the Sheraton doesn't open it back up.

No doubt. I remember dining up in the restaurant up there. It was one revolution per hour, the view was specacular, and it helped make for a wonderful dining experience. Hen all the new buildings about to be added to the skyline, the view can only get better. I don't see why the Sheraton doesn't open it back up.

Do you ever wonder if there's some evil force who wants to take away all the cool stuff in Nashville? (Polaris, AA hub, Opryland, Church St. Center, writing in Snodgrass windows, Summer Lights, L&C weather letters, KDF the rock station, and the list goes on.

I'm kinda kidding, but I'm not, ya know?

• 10 months later...

lets call some high up people or reps for Starwood Hotels&Resorts and complain to them, this restaraunt would be a major hit with families, cause we all know how kids love to point and say wow and cool, damn, im 19 and never got to do that those beotchs, oh well, well see what we can do, hopefully, yall back me up on this

Reed, go to the sales center for Terrazo. It's on the 30th floor of the L&C and it's open even on Saturday. One of our forum groups went up there and just was amazed. Since you're so young, tell 'em your heir to a giant horse farm and want a vcity home for those wild weekends downtown. lol.

Seriously, the view is amazing. You won't regret doing it.

• 1 year later...

update: Went to the Pinnacle tonight with my girlfriend. They were setting up for a special event, but didn't seem to mind us snooping around a little. It does look in bad shape, but the view is even better. I really don't think it would cost "millions" to spruce the place up. Some new decor, carpets and paneling should do the trick. I'm not sure if the turntable works or not. It was motionless when we were touring it.

Is office space pricing still contingent on height in Nashville I wonder? One would think if more worth/value is still associated with height in office and residential space that with proper marketing and design a roof-top bar, banquet hall, and/or restaurant could be successful in the city. I think it would have to be a "place to be" though....and that is not a easy element to capture and/or create for any establishment.

Hey all... been lurking here for a few months. This thread inspired me to post some shots I took when I got to visit an unoccupied floor of the (then) BellSouth tower... I don't remember which floor number it was, but it's where the sloped glass portion begins. (In the first picture you can see one of the big spotlights that angles up to the top of the building.)

Coincidentally, these were shot a year ago tomorrow. Enjoy, and do ignore the reflection of the photographer's hands in a few of the shots. :)

http://www.circumspectfiesta.com/images/070220_bellsouth/

Archived