CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Greenville Hospital System - Main Campus

goodbye

I drove around the main campus yesterday and saw lots more construction (never ending) going on. The land is cleared and grading started for the new 100,000 square foot research center on the northeastern edge. This place is simply huge to say the least. A few years ago it was the largest in the state, but I'm not sure where that stands today. Anyway, this thread is for if anyone who wants to post photos or discuss the projects as they progress at this medical campus. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone wonder how soon the two two-level parking structures in front of the Memorial Hospital will be replaced for multi-level parking decks? These lots are consistantly full and outdated visitors cannot find a place to park.

I thought the replacement of these were in their master plan. Where does GHS get all the dollars? They just never stop building. :)

Here's one of the crazy things about the GHS execs. They don't want to build them any taller because it would hamper "the view." So instead, they built a large garage in the rear, far from the main buildings, and not well-lit between. There are several similar wacky guidelines for construction around the main campus. One thing is for sure though: they aren't afraid to spend a ton of money on unnecessary things. :wacko:

What view? I doubt there is anything else you can see from the windows aside from trees and other buildings on the campus. They do have existing knowledge of the visitor overflow.

One should think things should be changing with the leadership as chairperson of the executive board.

You would be suprised how much a little peek at the outside world can impact your day when you're stuck in the hospital long term. ^_^

Regarding the new parking deck behind the main building, I was under the impression that they are planning the largest of the new additions to be built onto the back of the building. I heard a long time ago that a new multi-level trauma facility would eventually be built on one of the back lots. The feeling that I got when I worked there was that the plan was to do away with the concept of the hospital having a front and a back and move toward having ready access from several angles. I also remember plans for construction of a new "mega-entrance" with a coffee shop, bank, guest services and waiting area that would stretch from the back of the hospital to the rear employee parking deck. Don't know if these changes ever happened but they would definitely shift much of the traffic away from the front parking areas. Oh yeah...and maybe even spare the pristine view of Grove St. :P

There was actually a study which showed that treatment outcomes were better in patients who had a hospital room with a view of the outside. I find those results to be quite fascinating. There are probably other studies of this nature, but regardless it underscores the importance of patients being cared for in a holistic manner. Fresh air, peaceful surroundings, and comfort from those around them (including medical staff) goes a long way toward helping patients achieve the best outcome possible. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey its me again. Yeah i know it seems annoying but yes i am also going to be working on this building also. I think they told us we will have half a million brick to lay on this building. Its a very nice building with nice looking architecture. We are currently finishing up that new breezeway that comes down from the cafeteria, and will eventually connect to the new research center. We built 55 piers and a rotunda there. Its not finished yet though. The hospital system is forever growing with new and interesting things it seems.

• 1 month later...

I really, really like the fact that Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center will be able to accomodate more 3rd and 4th year medical students from USC School of Medicine as a result of this addition. I wish those of us at MUSC had the option of completing the last two years of our medical education in Greenville!

Based on what I have heard, it is becoming an increasingly popular choice for USC medical students to be in Greenville for their third and fourth years. :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Hey guys....our crew is going to be here in about a month starting some brick work most likely. Wont be long. Oh and the hospital has tons of money and makes some crazy rules for people incase you didnt already know. Im sure you all did.

Edited by erm1981

Well they make some crazy rules for construction workers sometimes. They told us we couldnt use the "public" cafe inside even though we didnt track in any mud and never said a word to anyone. Pretty weird but that is what they want.

Great photo update. Looks like this is following the design of the Patewood buildings (with the circular area). I'm not very familiar with the plans for GHS and the medical university. They currently have classes going on? What's the enrollment? Any idea on projections or plans for enrollment?

The new patient simulator center is opening today at Health Sciences South Carolina:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS05/703140409

This is a real asset to Greenville and the region, because it allows students to practice on these robots before moving on to patients. I have not gotten to use one before, but I did see one when I interviewed at another medical school and they are great. They are sort of like robots that present with symptoms, and you "treat" them and they respond. They even keep a log of how each student performs and the decisions that are made.

I know this is probably not extremely interesting to most readers, but it definitely puts GHSUMC at the forefront in terms of technology in this area. MUSC certainly does not have them, and I doubt USC does either. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...