Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raleightransplant

Jet Blue

13 posts in this topic

It was also interesting to note that RDU had almost 2 million more local travelers than CLT. Jet Blue would be smart to enter this market but this may also press Southwest to add more flights to maintain their position at RDU.

Great job Raleigh! How did RDU start to get low-air fare carriers to begin with?

Great job Raleigh! How did RDU start to get low-air fare carriers to begin with?

I think a lot of it was luck. RDU lost the American Airlines hub in the 90s which probably turned out to be the best thing considering what a disaster the airline industry is now combined with the post 9/11 fallout on the industry. RDU is run pretty lean and has managed to attract smaller carriers leading to lower fares. The hub concept is kind of an archaic model in modern air travel. RDU maintains a decent amount of local travelers which is critical to its model.

This is great. I have been watching this one for a while. On the business side, Jet Blue is having a hard time integrating the smaller planes into their fleet. (one way the low costs guys keep low costs is by maintaining only one kind of plane). I think they will get through this problem of integrating the smaller planes in a short while as it is part of their business plan.

We have several flights to NYC area (Newark, Lag, and JFK and use to have Stewart). This helps as many of the JFK flights are small planes and consolidated with other carriers (i.e. Delta/NWA combo). My guess is this will feed many of the international flights in/out of NYC as most people who go to the city fly into Newark or Lag. Nothing like making your city look somewhat bush-league to an international traveler when they fly in to NYC on a 747, 767 or a A330/340 (soon to be a A380) from another continent and then catch a 3-row CJR or a prop plane to RDU on the last leg. (Most/all of the props are gone in the last couple of years). At least with Jet Blue they will have their own entertainment monitor.

That said, having Jet Blue fly into your city and choose your city is a big step. All we need now is Frontier Airlines to come to Raleigh and get the Denver direct flights going.

I do wish we could become a mini-hub for Southwest but they need more discount gates to use. As the construction of the new terminal happens and most of the terminal A airlines go to the new one, it leaves plenty of room for SW to open up new gates.

I do think it is amazing of the area that RDU covers. Most people east of us in NC usually use our airport and it amazes me how many people in southern VA use it. Better flights than Richmond and closer.

I do think it is amazing of the area that RDU covers. Most people east of us in NC usually use our airport and it amazes me how many people in southern VA use it. Better flights than Richmond and closer.

Oh yes, many southside Virginia counties come to RDU or PTI for flights!

I think with the new Terminal C being built, good things are to come for RDU.

excellent news for RDU, but they still have a long way to go if they want to compete with Charlotte-Douglas. That airport really impressed me and it sends visitors to charlotte a clear message that this a very economically driven area. I hope that RDU will do that soon as well.

I think the renovated terminal C (to be renamed terminal 2 after construction is complete) will send the message that this region means business. I'm very impressed with what I've seen of it.

upon completion of terminal C, it will be interesting to see what they do to terminal A. i think the two should be linked together some way. Also, I think that RDU needs to get more int'l travel. i was blown away when i saw that charlotte offers flights to various european cities.

I think the renovated terminal C (to be renamed terminal 2 after construction is complete) will send the message that this region means business. I'm very impressed with what I've seen of it.

So we'll have "Terminal A", "Terminal B", and "Terminal 2"?....only the Airport Authority :w00t:

I still haven't heard a decent reason why we demolished the GOOD terminal instead of the embarassing one.

Haha no, currently we have A & C - when C is completed they'll be renamed to 1 & 2.