Possible HQ Relocations

QueenCityBobcats

The rebel teams are Ferrari, Ferrari, which has participated since the inaugural championship in 1950, current championship leader Brawn GP, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso.

I don't follow F1 very closely, but that seems like most or all of the major teams. When the Indy split in two a few years back, I thought their sport lost some of its appeal, at least to me. I can't imagine that this result would be any better for F1.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC is reporting about some sort of massive split within F1 racing where 8 or so of the traditional teams are upset at the new rules that are making this team from Charlotte possible. They don't want spending limits which were put in to make the price for entry into this race more viable. Hence the announcement above from a few months ago.

Now those 8 teams have announced they are leaving the F1 organization and will setup their own race and world series. Though I have not heard anything about the Charlotte team since the infomercial like announcement, I suspect this won't be good for them. The rebel teams are Ferrari, Ferrari, which has participated since the inaugural championship in 1950, current championship leader Brawn GP, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso. F1 had been previously stung a few months back by the news that Honda was completely pulling out.

I can't remember, but it seems to me the CLT announcement had them partnering with a European team, but I don't know it it was one of these.

No mention of Charlotte in this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/8108488.stm

It basically says Mosely wants to cap expenditures at 40m pounds per team in order "to prevent a monetary arms race" in this current world-wide economy. Sounds reasonable to me.

• 3 years later...

This begs a relo rumor-mill thread which I vaguely recall we have, will have to search.  CSX itself?  We are dead in the middle geographically of it's US "range", and are a multi-mode transportation hub.  Also serving Southern Canada puts it closer than Jacksonville.  There are other track upgrade related mentions, but perhaps merely just related to specific projects.

This begs a relo rumor-mill thread which I vaguely recall we have, will have to search.  CSX itself?  We are dead in the middle geographically of it's US "range", and are a multi-mode transportation hub.  Also serving Southern Canada puts it closer than Jacksonville.  There are other track upgrade related mentions, but perhaps merely just related to specific projects.

Oh jeez, I really, really hope not, hah.  Well actually I won't say I "hope not" but if it DID happen, we'd have big wigs out at Pinoca damned near ever day.  That would be awful, lol.

Upgrade

BB&T (probably consolidation as well)

That would be nice.

BB&T's current tower is HIDEOUS.

This begs a relo rumor-mill thread which I vaguely recall we have, will have to search. CSX itself? We are dead in the middle geographically of it's US "range", and are a multi-mode transportation hub. Also serving Southern Canada puts it closer than Jacksonville. There are other track upgrade related mentions, but perhaps merely just related to specific projects.

Don't see CSX relocating anywhere anytime soon. They're currently cutting back on a lot of individual (employee) relocations right now.

While they have been pleased with their operating ratio (70.2) the past couple of years they still are focused on reducing it to 65.0. You can't do that with a corporate relocation. I will say if they ever decided to relocate to Charlotte, I would expect them to be a big contributor to the community. They do a lot of community service for the Jacksonville area.

Don't see CSX relocating anywhere anytime soon. They're currently cutting back on a lot of individual (employee) relocations right now.

While they have been pleased with their operating ratio (70.2) the past couple of years they still are focused on reducing it to 65.0. You can't do that with a corporate relocation. I will say if they ever decided to relocate to Charlotte, I would expect them to be a big contributor to the community. They do a lot of community service for the Jacksonville area.

Even beyond that, I can't see CSX relocating to a city where they have such a small presence as in Charlotte, either.  Our yard here is tiny.

Even beyond that, I can't see CSX relocating to a city where they have such a small presence as in Charlotte, either.  Our yard here is tiny.

The size of the yard there really wouldn't impact a decision on relocating to Charlotte or not. The HQ in Jax really doesn't interact with local operations at Moncrief or Duval Yards. Also, CSX has other operations in Charlotte besides Pinoca Yard. There are some sales and marketing offices in the south part of town.

If CSX were to relocate(don't think they will) I think they would move into the Atlanta market and join the Training Center already well established there.

Archived