Possible HQ Relocations

QueenCityBobcats

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sticking their name on the Odell building is their best bang for the buck....they could probably get naming rights with about 40,000 sq. ft. there.

I don't see any new construction happening because of this, but Portman Plaza would be the most likely candidate....I just don't think they could take enough space to justify construction.

I think sticking their name on the Odell building is their best bang for the buck....they could probably get naming rights with about 40,000 sq. ft. there.

I don't see any new construction happening because of this, but Portman Plaza would be the most likely candidate....I just don't think they could take enough space to justify construction.

Wasn't Odell/525 developed and owned by BofA? That's where I worked when I worked for the bank. I wonder how keen they'd be to allow another bank's name on one of their buildings. But, now that I think about it, was Odell one of the buildings BofA sold a while ago? Maybe it was...

Yep...it was part of the big portfolio that they unloaded.....they may have a lease agreement that prohibits another bank from having naming rights though....just a thought.

Also, the 112 S. Tryon building could accomodate their needs, though they would have a tough time getting contiguous space......it is a high profile location though, that rents for rather cheap.

• 1 month later...

I just read that two more companies (ESP Engineering & Senderra Funding) are headed down I-77 (or 521). While not large employers, it's still an impact. Here's what the chair of the Lancaster County Council had to say about it: ""Lancaster County is fast becoming a prime location for headquarters and corporate office projects in the mortgage and finance industry."

Hello! Where is the concern from the leadership in Charlotte/Mecklenburg? Yes it's a positive that the jobs are staying in the area, but that's little consolation. Uptown Charlotte cannot sustain itself with just two banks and a bunch of condos. I'm oversimplifying the issue, but I feel that the big boys just don't care. Am I wrong? I'm not trying to make this a NC vs. SC issue. I'm more interested in the sustainability of Charlotte, specifically the urban core.

While I agree we hate to lose the companies, I'll be honest, so far I have yet to care too much. Not one that I am aware of has moved from downtown to SC, and not one has ever sponsered anything here (maybe Wells Fargo Mortgage....maybe)....my point being, these companies have always been more parasitic than contributing in any meaningful way to the city. I know they provide jobs, but honestly, most of the employees at these companies already are living the suburban dream. For the most part, I say good riddance, and I look forward to in 10 years time when their incentives run out to see if they once again pack up and move.

• 2 months later...

Well in today's Observer and Busines Journal, the news is that First Charter, which moved to University City from Conord about 5 years ago, is selling their HQ.

They are looking for smaller space for lease. There was an implication that some offices for the top executives and such could come downtown.....that would be sweet.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

The rest of the employees will move into smaller leased space out in the UC.

I could be wrong but I coulda swore that First Charter just finished building their HQ building in Concord a year ago at the corner of Church St and 29. It's not huge, but about five or six stories. It may just be a regional HQ though.

What are the chances of BB&T moving from W-S to Charlotte? I'd love a third banking campus to move into town. Maybe along Trade.

Charlotte doesn't need to have every banking HQ. Let BB&T stay in Winston-Salem.

Well, as nice as being #2 in an industry as important as the financial one is, 2nd is the first loser. If BB&T moved in and the GW/WB merger takes place then that would bring Charlotte within striking distance of NYC for 1st. They are already number 1 in other categories, I'd like it if Charlotte was number one in something besides NASCAR. But that's just because I'm big on bragging rights.

I'm not sure BB&T is anywhere near large enough to bring Charlotte within "striking distance" to NY. I thought the numbers were somewhere in the order of $3.1 Trillion for NY, and $1.9 Trillion for Charlotte. Consider that San Francisco at #3 is in the neighborhood of $500 Billion, we are certainly in a class, along with NY, by ourselves.

yeah and furthermore this whole "#2 banking center" thing just means the banks headquarted here control the second-largest volume of assets. lots of cities have more people working in the banking industry (atlanta, for example; boston; san francisco; the list goes on.)

at any rate, it's probably better for charlotte if local companies grow larger. i wonder which of our existing companies might be next to join the fortune 500.

(another note: one possible relo that is using a growing amount of space downtown is shaw, a fortune 500 engineering firm that has an expanding office on tryon. it's based in lousiana, but the ceo is said to like the golf and climate in nc, which is why companies move.)

Well, Charlotte lost 2 large HQ today.

US LEC was bought by a company in NY, but will maintain most of its workforce.

Uvest was bought by LPL out of Boston, which will actually add 300 jobs to Charlotte.

So, these announcements hurt pride wise, but long term could benefit Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

The Charlotte metro is going to gain a new US HQ for a company that makes steering components (BMB Steering).

The parent company is based in Germany, and 3-4 managers will relocate from Germany. Total employment will be 50-66 people.

The are looking at sites in Mecklenburg (off Moores Chapel Rd.), Gaston, Cabarrus, York, and Lancaster.

Not a huge new HQ, but I do like the trend of gaining more links with Germany. The area also is slowly gaining Italian companies as well, hopefully both trends will grow, as being internationally connected will become even more important to the "cities of the future".

Not a huge new HQ, but I do like the trend of gaining more links with Germany. The area also is slowly gaining Italian companies as well, hopefully both trends will grow, as being internationally connected will become even more important to the "cities of the future".

The Charlotte area already has one of the largest (and by some measures, simply the largest) collection of German companies in the U.S., which is why Lufthansa is the only foreign airline serving CLT. It's been a good thing for the regional economy for some time, and it's nice to see it continue.

• 2 months later...

Archived