Summer Olympics

northernbizzkit1

Wouldn't it be awesome to see MEMPHIS: 2020 for a summer olympics city? Who ever heard of Turin/Turino on a large scale before the Olympics? Memphis seriously has venues to host a summer olympics! The Mississippi/Wolf Rivers could host all of the water venues and Shelby Farms could be redesigned to host various sporting events...Memphis in many years to come could see an Olympics; however, I only see this happening with a new mayor and serious work at the structure of the city...government/funds need to be drastically improved, although both of these could be a spectacle the whole world might like to ogle at. Perhaps an Olympics would get MATA rolling on light rail throughout the city!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be awesome to see MEMPHIS: 2020 for a summer olympics city? Who ever heard of Turin/Turino on a large scale before the Olympics? Memphis seriously has venues to host a summer olympics! The Mississippi/Wolf Rivers could host all of the water venues and Shelby Farms could be redesigned to host various sporting events...Memphis in many years to come could see an Olympics; however, I only see this happening with a new mayor and serious work at the structure of the city...government/funds need to be drastically improved, although both of these could be a spectacle the whole world might like to ogle at. Perhaps an Olympics would get MATA rolling on light rail throughout the city!

i dont think 2020 is a pluasible goal. perhaps 2028, or 2032 but a lot of stuff can change in 20+ years.

either way the infrastructure of the city has to improve more, better mass transit, the wealth of the city i think would need to improve although thats not an absolute need to be an olympic city because Bejing is far from a wealthy. Also Memphis would need a better image world wide and in america, where in many places its still thought of negativly. more importantly it needs to be able to beat out competetors like NYC, European Cities, the New asian power cities, any other flourishing southern city. and more importantly Nashville :)

Although, Nashville was one of four finalists for the American bid to host the Olympics in the 70's, I don't think it was taken too seriously. It was the insiration for Atlanta, however, as they thought if Nashville has the moxie to make a proposal, then why not us?

And even then, Atlanta's event was considered one of the least successful Olympics because of the transportation snafu's and security issues. The winter Olympics can and have to be held in small towns because of the proximity to winter venues. But, the Winter Olympics are on a much smaller scale than the summer games.

As far as Bejing hosting, it will have the weight of the massive Chinese economy behind it and no penny will be spared it making it one of the showiest games ever.

You would need so many arenas, housing for atheletes and a new stadium, it would strain the City. I doubt the State would help. I also doubt the Liberty Bowl is large enough to accomodate track and field events. I am not sure if even the coloseum in Nashville is even roomy enough to locate a track.

At a minimum, the requirements would be:

> A large, 50,000+ stadium for opening ceremonies and track and field (no)

> Stadiums for soccer (Liberty bowl, Coloseum, Neyland Stadium, etc)

> Arena for gymnastics (Old fairgrounds arena?)

> Arena(s) for men's and women's basketball (FedEx/Pyramid)

> Natatorium for swimming/diving (no)

> Arenas for boxing (no)

> New place for rowing and crew; Wolf River will not work as it is (no)

> Equestrian park (no)

> Cycling Velodrome (no)

> Sailing events would occur where?

> Venues for cycling, marathons, mountain biking could be constructed easily, but not cheap

> Field hockey (Auto Zone Park)

> White water events (all the way over to the Ocoee river in East Tennessee)

> Archery, badminton, lawn bowling, croquet, and whatever else they do (no)

Then you have to build and have in place when the proposal is made. not promise, a transportation system superior to what Atlanta had in 96. Then, you will need an Olympic Village to house the atheletes and provide security. I believe Atlanta built dorms for Georgia Tech to be used.

I love Memphis, and go there frequently, but I don't think it would ever happen. Or in Nashville either.

There are the Pan American Games which are an Olympics of the Western Hemisphere which are a possibility, if they are still being played. I know Indianapolis hosted them once in the 80's.

As PHofKS stated, Memphis lacks alot the facilities and capacity to hold the Olympics, but in 20-30 years who knows. I think it would be an amazing event if the city at some future point held them (ie in our lifetimes preferably lol) but there are several larger and more capable US cities to compete with, not to mention the multitudes of global cities that could via for the Summer Olympics.

The Winter Olympics are easier for a smaller city to snag do their size and less damanding infrastructure and facility needs, so some place like Salt Lake City is more capable of landing them, then a city like Memphis, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, Indy, etc are of landing the Summer games IMO.

Besides, there are several cities in the US more likely of holding them: NYC, Chicago, SF, SD, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philly, Boston, Seattle, Orlando/ Tampa, Washington/ Baltimore, Detroit, and LV (I think that could actually happen). And if we consider that the US lands an Olympics every 16-20 years, I don't see this happening anytime soon, unless Memphis partners with Nashville or another nearby city.

Being in NAshville and having lived in Atlanta in 1996, I too have thought that Nashville/Tennessee could host the olympics in the near future. The problem would come from the in-state bickering. In seems like to be successful, you'd have to have to use the entire state for the Olympics (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville). You easily put soccer in Neyland, Basketball in FedEx forum, Gymnastics in the GEC, but what about track and field/opening and closing ceremonies? In 2024, Nashville's going to have to start thinking about a new coliseum for the Titans, so... it goes to Nashville! But Memphis and Knoxville folks won't like that....

There's an advantage to Atlanta being the major city in Atlanta. Other than sailing in Savannah and soccer in Athens, everything was pretty much kept in the Atlanta metro. Where in the world would we put sailing???

That's what I thought. How about this: Tennessee 2020 Summer Olympics. I'm thinking we can spread it out, basketball in Memphis, soccer in Knoxville, maybe swimming in Chattanooga, and then have various events around in each city. And then, I would say opening/closing ceremonies and track and field in Nashville. We could then use the stadium for the Titans when the Olympics are done. And yes, other cities might feel that they should get that, but what if each city paid for its own facilities. That way the events are spread evenly between the cities according to thep population and economy of the cities. Every city gets what it deserves. I doubt anything could happen in TN if the local governments don't work together. And then, for infrastructure improvements, how about that Tennessee Rail System, which would connect all of the cities participating in the Olympics. I think this could work.

But there are two problems: Who would coordinate it? The governor? And also the sailing issue. I guess we would have to have that a ways away.

I know this is all dreams, but it really could happen eventually in the future, don't you think?

And then, I would say opening/closing ceremonies and track and field in Nashville. We could then use the stadium for the Titans when the Olympics are done. And yes, other cities might feel that they should get that, but what if each city paid for its own facilities.

In my opinion, this whole topic is so far-fetched that it's almost silly. Atlanta was considered a stretch for the 1996 Olympics, and I can't imagine Tennessee being considered.

I also get the feeling that if and when the Titans--or any pro sports team--in 2020 wants new facilities, cities are going to look long and hard before building them. I think public sentiment has gone the other way on that one.

I also certainly don't think the state is going to come up with a nickel for the Olympics, and I think most local governments would face open rebellion if they tried to tax their citizens to do it. Maybe by then, the Olympics will be so commercialized though, that they could call it the FedEx Olympics.

Since the topic has strayed from Memphis hosting the Olympics, I'd say I'd like to see New Orleans give it a shot for 2020.

It's already got 45,000 hotel rooms, the Saints will have probably finagled a new stadium, there's still the SuperDome, as well as an existing excellent public transportation system.

Beyond that, New Orleans has a history of dealing with big events.

I just can't see either memphis, nashvile or even tennessee as a whole ever being a reality - even in 20-30 years (or even 50 for that matter)...there are so many american cities that would have a much better chance - NY, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, DC, Houston, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, etc. etc.

And since the US only gets it every 10-20 years or so, i think that this is way to far enough

But then again, who would have ever thought salt lake city would have gotten it?

I just can't see either memphis, nashvile or even tennessee as a whole ever being a reality - even in 20-30 years (or even 50 for that matter)...there are so many american cities that would have a much better chance - NY, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, DC, Houston, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, etc. etc.

And since the US only gets it every 10-20 years or so, i think that this is way to far enough

But then again, who would have ever thought salt lake city would have gotten it?

I agree. Maybe in 50 years, even then a stretch.

Sun Valley, Idaho held the winter Olympics back in the 60's. Grenoble, France also held them. As someone said on here, winter Olympics are held in relatively small towns since they have to be located in mountainous areas.

I'd like to see Anchorage get it. Of course, the lack of sunlight this time of year might be a problem. But they were once held in Lillehammer, Norway which might be as far north.

Great, so Memphis/Tennessee should try for a winter olympics? Memphis got some snow this past weekend, right? There you go!

Exactly! FedEx has a bunch of daily flights between Anchorage and Memphis where they could haul the snow in on their DC-10's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived