Charlotte furniture

jcsb12

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived in S. Fla myself, I would highly recommend waiting until you get here to buy your furniture as it will be significantly less expensive in NC than Fla. This area is home to furniture and you can go to Hickory, High Point, and Thomasville to find some significant discounts over retail. There are a number of speciality shops in Charlotte selling really unique furniture, but I would wait and at least check out the outlets before going there. You can get almost any furniture style here in almost any price range.

When we moved here in '02, we went to Hickory to buy furniture. Lots of choices, but only 2 or 3 stores with contemporary styles and only 1 was affordable. The next weekend we were driving around Charlotte and found half a dozen places with contemporary styles. My wife's biggest regret wasn't the wasted trip as much as the 2 puppies we brought back. Seriously though, if Charlotte doesn't have it, Atlanta is 4 hours away and there are a ton of places.

If you guys do decide to go to Atlanta to buy furniture I can give you a few places. Of course the stores won't be as cheap as you will find here in North Carolina. In Atlanta we have Huff Furniture in Buckhead which sells incredible furniture but the prices can be kind of steep. We have The Shops Of Miami Circle which is a unique warehouse district in Buckhead that has been converted into contemporary furniture and housewares stores. We have IKEA also if you want really cheap merchandise. In Charlotte they have a future Crate and Barrel coming. If you want to drive about an hour and a half north to Winston-Salem, NC we have a store in downtown called Contempo Concepts which is really cool!

Here are some websites for these places:

Huff Furniture in Atlanta

Shops of Miami Circle in Atlanta

IKEA which is in Atlanta but has dozens of other stores in the nation

Crate and Barrel which will be opening in Charlotte in some time

Contempo Concepts in Winston-Salem, NC

Furniture shopping in NC is the best since we have so many furniture outlets where you can get amazing deals so definitely wait. Shopping for it can be tricky though since these places are true manufacturer outlets and not fake outlets so their hours can be funny and their locations can be off the beaten path in smaller towns. High Point and Hickory both operate a fairly descent tourist trade with people coming from all over to buy furniture there. I would check out their tourism websites and contact them to see if they offer any kind of lists of manufacturer

If you do browse in Charlotte, check out EQ3, Storehouse, Intro and ByDesign. There's also the Purple Picket which, from what I remember, is more of an eclectic mix of unusual things and samples. The difficulty in heading straight to the outlets is needing to pick everything out right then and there. From my experience, they're not really set up for browsing. You need to have a good idea of what you want when you get there. One approach is to scope out pieces you like in the retail stores, then find out who manufactures it, then go to that outlet to get it at a big discount.

The Kincaid Furniture outlet on 321 near Hickory sells La Z Boy stuff and a lot of it is pretty modern. Most of the items they have are the display pieces from the stores or overstock items, but when we were there a few weeks ago they had several modern pieces and some things from the Todd Oldham collection. The prices are 40% or more off from the retail price and you can haggle with them a little bit.

There is an Intro outlet on Tremont, also. You may have to go a few times before you find something you want, but the prices are significantly lower than the retail store.

Gastonia has a Rooms to Go Outlet, if you know what that is. It is located right off the interstate (I-85) in or near Gastonia.

Charlotte has a Rooms to Go outlet off of I-85S. I wouldn't consider anything they have to be modern, though. If you want a pretty standard couch, then it's a good place to get a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

For modern furniture, I was not happy at all with the choices in Charlotte. I ended up doing Atlanta and then giving up and just going to Fort Lauderdale. As long as cost isn't a big issue, I think Lauderdale is tops in the US for modern.

For contemporary furniture, home accessories, and great stuff check out City Supply Co. on Thomas Street. Locally owned, reasonably priced, laid back.

also around the corner from Thomas Street a store called Century -- they have great retro contemporary furniture and accessories -- It is on Central in the District at Dairy Queen

Archived