Dell should sponsor Greensboro's PGA tournament

cityboi

Greensboro's PGA golf tournament has a new date and will be a part of the FedEx Cup Championship. That means Greensboro will see the likes of Tiger Woods coming to play. However Greensboro sponsor Chrysler decided not to renew its sponsorship. Its replacement should be Dell. "The Dell Classic of Greensboro" or "The Dell Greater Greensboro Open". This would benefit the company by putting its name out there and it would demonstrate Dell's true corporate involvement in the Triad.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dell should sponsor this game. but, they don't do many sponsorships especially sports ones. They haven't really been that active in the community as they said they would. The only thing I can think of they have done is provide a few new computers to the WS/FCS system and even then I think they had to fork out some dough for those.

I would like to see the tournament call "The Dell Championship". I think they should sponsor it because North Carolina and Winston-Salem have been financially generous to the company. Dell should really help the Triad in ways other than just providing jobs. They should step up to the plate like Wachovia in Charlotte has for its PGA event.

I have no problem with Dell sponsoring a PGA tournament, however it should be held in Forsyth Co. Say at Tanglewood? We did provide all those tax dollars to them so it would be a nice payback!

I agree. It would make more sense for it to be in W-S/FC. Over the years, Tanglewood has been host to many PGA and Senior PGA events and tournaments. Maybe FedEx or Lincoln Financial should sponsor the Greensboro tournament.

But, from my understanding, Dell puts its money towards philanthropic uses rather than sports sponsorship. They have grant and aid programs where they give money to causes/groups in the communities (Austin area, Nashville area and Winston-Salem area) where they operate.

I have no problem with Dell sponsoring a PGA tournament, however it should be held in Forsyth Co. Say at Tanglewood? We did provide all those tax dollars to them so it would be a nice payback!

Given that it was founded by the Greensboro Jaycees in 1938 as a fund raiser for charity, I doubt that would happen.

W-S's tax dollars were not the only tax dollars that brought in Dell btw-The state provided a good deal of tax incentives first-then it was up to the local towns to compete for where it would be situated thereafter.

...but then nationally people would think Dell is in Greensboro as some did way back when Wake Forest had to play in Greensboro - is that the idea?

actually people may already think Dell is in Greensboro. When WBTV in Charlotte first reported it the said Dell will be opeing a plant in the Greensboro area. They acted like Winston-Salem didnt even exist.

The main thing is that it is a tournament that was started (and still done by) the Greensboro Jaycees. It is not a tournament up for grabs to be moved. The sponsor will be a good fit and complimentary to what the Greensboro Jaycees have in mind. It doesnt belong in Forsyth County or W-S no matter who the sponsor is.

No one on here is suggesting that the GGO move to W-S or FC. They are only suggesting that if Dell were to sponsor a golf tournament, they should sponsor one in W-S. Why can't a Greensboro/Guilford County company sponsor the Greensboro tournament?

No one on here is suggesting that the GGO move to W-S or FC. They are only suggesting that if Dell were to sponsor a golf tournament, they should sponsor one in W-S. Why can't a Greensboro/Guilford County company sponsor the Greensboro tournament?

we should be thinking more along the lines of a Triad company instead of a Greensboro company or W-S company. I would have no problem with Greensboro based RF Micro Devices Or Lincoln National sponsoring such an even if it were held in Winston.

we should be thinking more along the lines of a Triad company instead of a Greensboro company or W-S company. I would have no problem with Greensboro based RF Micro Devices Or Lincoln National sponsoring such an even if it were held in Winston.

Even with that, neither KMart, Chrysler were exclusively just Greensboro or W-S companies or Triad companies. They are nationally known brands that brought a larger amount of money to help draw in some of the bigger names in golfing. Likewise any company that might sponsor the tournament doesnt have to be just from this area.

Archived