USC Projects & Construction (excluding Innovista)

Spartan

I've always wondered what it would be like to close the intersection of George Rogers Blvd. and Bluff Road (on the WB side). You could have George Rogers blvd. end right in front of the North stands and have like a big circle of champions or some plaza right there between the fairgrounds parking and the stadium. traffic would no longer be an issue walking from the fairgrounds. i know it would mess up people getting to the ETV building etc... but you could make Rosewood the preffered road to get to George Rogers/Assembly or cut through the other roads if you are coming from I-77.

Just thinking... any thoughts?

The long term plans show lowering George Rogers Blvd and creating a huge pedestrian bridge from the fairground lots to the stadium. It would be similar to the Pickens St bridge on campus except much wider.

Either way, I like your idea. We need a unique way to celebrate the traditions we have.

I saw that same pedestrian bridge, but thought that was just a USC fan putting out some suggestion/concepts for WB. It had a nice 'fly around" video also, but i don't think any of it was "official", but I could be wrong. Is George Rogers Blvd. part of (I don't know the way to say) state road system to where the city would have to get special permission to close that end off?

• 1 year later...

Renderings for the planned Moore School of Business have been unveiled. “We’re about 30% into design, so some of the features depicted in the renderings could easily change,” said Jeffrey D. Lamberson, director of campus planning and construction at USC. USC is seeking to make the building a totally carbon-neutral facility and to qualify for the LEED platinum certification. The new building will go into the space between Greene Street and the Carolina Coliseum.

1303144275-NewMooreSchool3.jpg

Renderings for the planned Moore School of Business have been unveiled. “We’re about 30% into design, so some of the features depicted in the renderings could easily change,” said Jeffrey D. Lamberson, director of campus planning and construction at USC. USC is seeking to make the building a totally carbon-neutral facility and to qualify for the LEED platinum certification. The new building will go into the space between Greene Street and the Carolina Coliseum.

1303144275-NewMooreSchool3.jpg

O M G i like this design. this will look so good in downtown and USC

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

USC Alumni Center to be Built at Lincoln, Senate Streets Across from Convention Center

From the plans...

"Imagine a place where you are always welcome to visit, hold a meeting in a stylish conference room, or attend special events, receptions, and parties in a beautiful ballroom. Where you can take classes without quizzes in the Lifelong Learning Center, spend quiet time in the gardens, or manage your work and career while in town using state-of-the-art technology in the Business Center. Imagine a home for alumni in the heart of Innovista, the University’s vibrant research campus where the Carolina community lives, works, and plays. Located close to restaurants, hotels, the Colonial Life Arena and Carolina’s baseball stadium, the Alumni Center will add its own vitality to this dynamic area."

In addition, a new underground tunnel will be built under Lincoln Street connecting the Alumni Center and parking garage to the Convention Center.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/43814-usc-alumni-center-planned-at-lincoln-senate-streets

http://www.mycarolina.org/s/842/images/editor_documents/Executive/12_alumni_center_case_statement.pdf

• Like 1

I think this is a subpar development. That space is perfect for a restaurant which would much better cater to conventioneers. I don't understand the purpose of having this building between the convention center and convention center hotel when it's not convention-related.

• 2 weeks later...

My mistake. At any rate, the tunnel seems like a colossal waste of money. I don't believe that I have ever waited more than 10 seconds to cross Lincoln other than immediately after a basketball game. Won't the removal of paid parking at the former Damon's lead to increased use of the parking garage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this site, but have been following the forum for months now. I created this account because I wanted to inform the Columbia posters about an upcoming USC project. Tonight, students were able to attend a design review meeting for a new student health center. All I can say is wow; the plans are truly stunning and unlike any other project I have seen in Columbia. It may be comparable in hype/new design, to the new business school or the tower at Main & Gervais - but it looks more like a project you would see in Portland OR or San Francisco. I don't have any graphics to share, and I couldn't find any online - but the architects are Perkins + Will. The design scheme & building itself are pretty much set in stone, as well as the location, but the company & USC wanted student input on what services should be in the building. They want to create something world-class, something that is above national standards and will gain national attention. 

The building itself will be glass/transparent, with a green roof. It will be 5-6 stories and will be built where the current health center stands. They plan to build the new facility in stages. First, they want to cover the current library parking lot/access point/loading deck with a green roof. This will be done to "heal" the area, corridor, and give students a place to walk while the first phase of the building is constructed. When the first phase is complete. The old health center will be razed and the second, connected unit - the final phase - will be constructed. Students and the uni have made it clear they want the rooftop gardens/green space to be open to the public, not just the uni community. There will also be crosswalks to the bull street garage. 

Also, they mentioned incorporating solar panels somewhere near or on the building - namely placing solar panels on the top level of the bull street garage, but also maintaining it as a parking level, aka cars shaded by elevated panels (they said this was just a thought, but it sounds great to me!)

The building is set to meet LEED Platinum standards, and is still in the development stages. There is no official timeline for construction, but it is happening. They made this very clear!

Cheers! 

• Like 1