USC Projects & Construction (excluding Innovista)

Spartan

Interesting- I wonder if this means that HRSM will move from the Coliseum to Close/Hipp rather than to the current law school? That would certainly advance the timeline. Close/Hipp is so big that it could house another school as well, though I think it might just house extra classroom space.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local/2015/05/11/culinary-program-receives-2-million-from-marriott/27145973/ 

• 1 month later...

I think it's best that we keep the political discussion off the forum, but one huge upside of the flag being moved is that the NAACP will likely drop its boycott of the state, allowing USC, Clemson, CofC, etc. to host NCAA tournament games. The Colonial Life Arena was designed as a regional host site for March Madness. Baseball and women's basketball are now selected based on rankings, but men's basketball is still preselected. Columbia can now contend for the money and publicity cities receive when they host regionals.

I think it's best that we keep the political discussion off the forum, but one huge upside of the flag being moved is that the NAACP will likely drop its boycott of the state, allowing USC, Clemson, CofC, etc. to host NCAA tournament games. The Colonial Life Arena was designed as a regional host site for March Madness. Baseball and women's basketball are now selected based on rankings, but men's basketball is still preselected. Columbia can now contend for the money and publicity cities receive when they host regionals.

Tommorow is a great day, for multiple reasons, with economic being one of them!

Thats great :) I expect to see positive changes coming real soon to our state :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Journalism faculty and staff officially moved from the Coliseum to the new building this week. I heard a rumor this weekend from a journalism grad in the know that Darla Moore bought the naming rights to the school and may name it after a former SC governor. Of course this is unsubstantiated, but it would be an interesting addition and might explain how USC made up a ~$20M fundraising gap in the last month of the Carolina's Promise campaign. 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article28783102.html

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, all the recent stories about the increase in students at USC, are really on point. Today I was driving through the university on my way to lunch, and there were PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!! The sidewalks around the Strom, and South Main, and even down Blossom towards Five Points..were packed! I know there are even more coming in the next few years. I do hope we have a plan for pedestrian safety, which might include safer intersections, as I'd hate to see anyone get hurt. The numbers of people on the street, though, is very exciting in terms of Columbia becoming a more dynamic place.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Huge move: USC is working with a private developer (Holder?) to replace four dorms with new complexes similar to 650 Lincoln. The project is expected to create up to 4,000 beds to replace the 1,200 beds in Bates House, Bates West, Cliff Apartments, and Carolina Gardens. While many of my friends are nostalgically sad about the change, this formula is proving to be hugely successful for USC. As with 650 Lincoln, the University will get a cut of the profits and regain the land in 40 years. This is obviously a lot denser than the current layout and will make the area feel more in tune with the rest of the campus.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article37232841.html

• Like 2

Huge move: USC is working with a private developer (Holder?) to replace four dorms with new complexes similar to 650 Lincoln. The project is expected to create up to 4,000 beds to replace the 1,200 beds in Bates House, Bates West, Cliff Apartments, and Carolina Gardens. While many of my friends are nostalgically sad about the change, this formula is proving to be hugely successful for USC. As with 650 Lincoln, the University will get a cut of the profits and regain the land in 40 years. This is obviously a lot denser than the current layout and will make the area feel more in tune with the rest of the campus.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article37232841.html

I hope, and suspect it will be Holder. 650 Lincoln looks to be the standard bearer for student housing, so more of that would be groovy.

I think many thousands of alumni would have some nostalgia about Bates/Bates West, etc. But the University has shown little interest in preserving most of the residential buildings that were designed in the 50s-70s era. The 'barracks' style dorms are probably more of a deterrent than an attraction for students. They aren't exactly quality architecture either... I say good riddance. I would love it  if the whole area between the Roost, Blatt, Assembley and Pickens felt more cohesive and a part of campus.

I'm not sure what the long term plan is for Blatt, but the University will eventually need to address Rocky Branch Creek. Burying the creek has caused a ton of property damage and has buried what should be a great feature. The Bright Meyers purchase of Capital City Stadium seems to have been shelved, which should allow USC to buy the land for intramural fields. That said, USC bought the land next to the quarry for the same purpose, so it's unclear what they plan for the creek path now. At any rate, the stretch between Blossom and Bates is now being referred to as "South Campus" in news reports. The school is finally getting back to its core style. I only wish we could get rid of the Humanities, Gambrell, and Close-Hipp. Unfortunately, there are no plans for those buildings.

I'm not sure what the long term plan is for Blatt, but the University will eventually need to address Rocky Branch Creek. Burying the creek has caused a ton of property damage and has buried what should be a great feature. The Bright Meyers purchase of Capital City Stadium seems to have been shelved, which should allow USC to buy the land for intramural fields. That said, USC bought the land next to the quarry for the same purpose, so it's unclear what they plan for the creek path now. At any rate, the stretch between Blossom and Bates is now being referred to as "South Campus" in news reports. The school is finally getting back to its core style. I only wish we could get rid of the Humanities, Gambrell, and Close-Hipp. Unfortunately, there are no plans for those buildings.

They've referred to that area as South Campus for a long time. When I was there 10 years ago it referred to everything below Blossom St. North Campus included the main classroom buildings, the RH and the Horseshoe. West Campus was the new area, generally accross South Main Street.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In light of the Muschamp hire, I realize that we have not discussed the $80M in football-related construction the athletic department is pushing:

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/south-carolina-gets-initial-approval-for-50m-football-facility.html

The football operations building seems like a waste of money, but other schools have them already. I guess we have to keep up with the arms race. I think Tanner is crazy to push additional suites when he's already hitting the debt ceiling imposed by the state (or the University, not sure which). He pulled over $18M in athletics donations last year, though, so maybe it's feasible.

They aren't starting it for a few years, so I'm betting that other funds will be freed up by then. The concept of an 'operations' facility is probably the most egregious example of the arms race. Its pretty ridiculous too. College facilities in a lot of Power 5 schools are nicer than NFL facilities (ie: USC's current facilities are nicer than the Panthers' - so I can only image the palace that will be the operations center).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think that's part of the reason they are looking to add more premium seating to the east grandstands.They just freed up about $1 million per year for a few years by hiring Muschamp. I'm also assuming there will be more savings with a new staff - at least for a few years. That said, the lost revenue by having to play LSU in Baton Rouge is going to really hurt the budget at the end of the year. I think Tanner is doing a great job though and I'm not concerned about his ability to lead through a rough patch.

• 2 months later...

This is SO much better than what is currently there. I'm glad USC is investing in the incubator- it is a surefire way to build a tech sector organically. One of the early is a company called Duck Creek that produces insurance software. Accenture purchased it and now Accenture has a presence in Columbia. As great as it would be for a large business to relocate to Columbia, these are the kinds of businesses that have staying power.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/57077-4m-home-for-usc-columbia-tech-incubator-to-be-ready-first-quarter-of-2017?rss=0

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been somewhat bummed by the lack of announcements in Columbia, so I took a look at the law school to see how it was progressing:

http://lawcam.admin.sc.edu/view/view.shtml?id=2927&imagepath=%2Fmjpg%2F1%2Fvideo.mjpg&size=1

It looks like the structure is fully formed and they are still doing some site work. Does anyone have better shots? I would also be curious about the status of the second phase of 650 Lincoln as that should be completed later this summer.

35 minutes ago, carolinagarnet said:

I've been somewhat bummed by the lack of announcements in Columbia, so I took a look at the law school to see how it was progressing:

http://lawcam.admin.sc.edu/view/view.shtml?id=2927&imagepath=%2Fmjpg%2F1%2Fvideo.mjpg&size=1

It looks like the structure is fully formed and they are still doing some site work. Does anyone have better shots? I would also be curious about the status of the second phase of 650 Lincoln as that should be completed later this summer.

After the "shadow study" combined with the bottom of the economic cycle, investment has nearly stalled in CAE.