USC Projects & Construction (excluding Innovista)

Spartan

I've been somewhat bummed by the lack of announcements in Columbia, so I took a look at the law school to see how it was progressing:

http://lawcam.admin.sc.edu/view/view.shtml?id=2927&imagepath=%2Fmjpg%2F1%2Fvideo.mjpg&size=1

It looks like the structure is fully formed and they are still doing some site work. Does anyone have better shots? I would also be curious about the status of the second phase of 650 Lincoln as that should be completed later this summer.

Don't have any better shots of the law school but they're just doing the brick work and landscaping work. 650 Lincoln should be starting Brick work soon since they're just about done with the parking garage. The last announcement for Columbia is the 4 story storage facility for canalside.

On 5/8/2016 at 2:05 PM, mpretori said:

After the "shadow study" combined with the bottom of the economic cycle, investment has nearly stalled in CAE. 

I think it has more to do with the expiration of the tax break, the potential overbuild of student housing, and the seasonality of announcements (they seem to come in summer/fall). I agree that the shadow study was absurd though. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Spartan said:

I didn't realize the new law building wasn't going to be brick. It it really just concrete or is it some sort of granite/limestone that doesn't show up will on the webcam?

The renderings make it look McKissick, which is limestone, sandstone, or something similar. If I'm not mistaken, the Law School was designed to mirror the Romanesque style of the SC Supreme Court.

• 1 month later...

USC is going to charge all frat and sorority members $125 per semester to pay for a new parking garage on the existing intramural field across Blossom, at Devine and Gadsden. Some students may see an offset by not having to pay for lot or garage parking, but this will be a hit for most everyone else. The garage is going to be Greek only though, so there's that. I suspect they will use the existing lots for extra housing. There is pent up demand on the sorority side. 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article91012017.html

• 1 month later...

USC is going to build a 'health campus' that would house the USC School of Medicine. The current site on Garners Ferry Rd is being leased from the government for $1/yr, and they expect it to increase to $7.5m/yr when the lease is up in 2030. They were considering two locations, both of which are near Palmetto Health Richland. The Board decided to build on land donated from the Bull Street project. It's going to be built in two phases, with a total investment of $200m. It will eventually employ over 3,800 people (a portion of which will be new jobs) and have an annual economic impact of $180m.

I really like this idea. It will really bolster private sector investment in Bull Street and give students and employees access to retail and residential options all in one area.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article102199322.html

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016 at 2:06 PM, carolinagarnet said:

USC is going to charge all frat and sorority members $125 per semester to pay for a new parking garage on the existing intramural field across Blossom, at Devine and Gadsden. Some students may see an offset by not having to pay for lot or garage parking, but this will be a hit for most everyone else. The garage is going to be Greek only though, so there's that. I suspect they will use the existing lots for extra housing. There is pent up demand on the sorority side. 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article91012017.html

Definitely a need for parking

On 9/16/2016 at 5:37 PM, Spartan said:

USC is going to build a 'health campus' that would house the USC School of Medicine. The current site on Garners Ferry Rd is being leased from the government for $1/yr, and they expect it to increase to $7.5m/yr when the lease is up in 2030. They were considering two locations, both of which are near Palmetto Health Richland. The Board decided to build on land donated from the Bull Street project. It's going to be built in two phases, with a total investment of $200m. It will eventually employ over 3,800 people (a portion of which will be new jobs) and have an annual economic impact of $180m.

I really like this idea. It will really bolster private sector investment in Bull Street and give students and employees access to retail and residential options all in one area.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article102199322.html

That is yuge

• 4 months later...
is this still the latest design they're going with? http://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20150813/ddrc_2015-08-13_pkt11_assembly_1015_eval.pdf

the original was 1,000,000x better. real letdown.

Yes this 6 story version is the final product compared to the old 12 story version.

So yeah we can knock this up as another columbia failure since we've lost 3 12-15 story buildings in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

Yes this 6 story version is the final product compared to the old 12 story version.

So yeah we can knock this up as another columbia failure since we've lost 3 12-15 story buildings in 2 years.

The 12 story building would have been good for future density in the area, but I honestly don't mind the scale given how low the buildings it are. I think they expanded the footprint to include more land, meaning they aren't heavily sacrificing the number of units.

Edit: Here's the satellite view of the site: 

Edited by carolinagarnet

4 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

Bummer that we lost out on another taller development but it still does look good. 

Columbia wants density but seems to always turn down dense projects. Also USC needs to stop dictating the city half of the time.

25 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

Bummer that we lost out on another taller development but it still does look good. 

Columbia wants density but seems to always turn down dense projects. Also USC needs to stop dictating the city half of the time.

USC has directly or indirectly generated almost all of the new development downtown in the past few years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

USC has directly or indirectly generated almost all of the new development downtown in the past few years.

Yes but USC also is a little power hungry with it comes to development on or near their campus. It seems like anything near them it gets held up, shrinks or shut down because of USC.

Just my opinion that's what it seems like

3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Yes but USC also is a little power hungry with it comes to development on or near their campus. It seems like anything near them it gets held up, shrinks or shut down because of USC.

Just my opinion that's what it seems like

The 12 story building would have been good for future density in the area, but I honestly don't mind the scale given how low the buildings it are. I think they expanded the footprint to include more land, meaning they aren't heavily sacrificing the number of units.
Edit: Here's the satellite view of the site: 

Yeah they grabbed an extra .38 acres and reduced the amount beds by 200-300 if I remember correctly.