USC Projects & Construction (excluding Innovista)

Spartan

• 5 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/business/new-usc-student-housing-being-considered-near-colonial-life-arena/article_8979384a-bfea-11ec-b186-431aa6018fb3.html

Here's a proposed student housing project, steps from the Colonial Life Arena, and near the newly extended Greene St, which will lead to a Riverfront Park (potentially in years to come). USC is really blowing up. It has 36,000 students now, I believe.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am hearing a lot of chatter about a transformative project near Williams Brice Stadium. One of my sources has indicated it will be on the portion of the Fairgrounds property that actually represents the midway (not the grassy parking area), and that it essentially will be an athletic and shopping complex like that at Disney. Others have compared it to the Battery entertainment district, surrounding the Braves' suburban ballpark, featuring hotels, residential, restaurants, etc. Does anyone know anything about this? Would love to see some preliminary renderings. I, for one, would not miss the State Fair, at its current location. I'd be delighted to see something of this magnitude take its place.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 6:53 AM, victory said:

I am hearing a lot of chatter about a transformative project near Williams Brice Stadium. One of my sources has indicated it will be on the portion of the Fairgrounds property that actually represents the midway (not the grassy parking area), and that it essentially will be an athletic and shopping complex like that at Disney. Others have compared it to the Battery entertainment district, surrounding the Braves' suburban ballpark, featuring hotels, residential, restaurants, etc. Does anyone know anything about this? Would love to see some preliminary renderings. I, for one, would not miss the State Fair, at its current location. I'd be delighted to see something of this magnitude take its place.     

Heard yesterday this will be a 1 billion dollar investment, to be completed in 4 stages. I hope they announce it soon. I have never been very patient.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, victory said:

Heard yesterday this will be a 1 billion dollar investment, to be completed in 4 stages. I hope they announce it soon. I have never been very patient.

That’s exciting to hear but knowing Columbia I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Do you know who actually owns the fairgrounds?

1 hour ago, SouthernSkyline said:

That’s exciting to hear but knowing Columbia I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Do you know who actually owns the fairgrounds?

I don't know. Something is afloat. It may not end up being the Fairgrounds, but parcels of surrounding land.  I'll certainly link info about it, when the public announcement is made. I sure hope the deal isn't contingent on the Gamecocks having a good football season. I'm a fan..and a realist. If you hear anything in Charlotte, please share.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, victory said:

https://www.batteryatl.com/   More rumblings on a Gamecocks sports message board, with some comparing it to the Battery in Atlanta, or Clark St, outside Wrigley Field in Chicago. Some saying, in addition to hotels, restaurants, bars, etc, there will be a new basketball specific arena, and other sporting venues. One poster said he believed land on both sides of Bluff Rd, from Williams Brice Stadium to I-77, has been/is in the process of being, purchased for this. I love the speculation. 

Even more gossip around town on the massive redevelopment of the stadium area. In addition to retail, bars, restaurants, hotels, and new sports facilities for every Carolina sports team, a couple of folks say the project would include a new football stadium. Its thought it would be built with a smaller seating capacity, ala an NFL stadium, with nicer amenities than Williams-Brice. Non university sports teams (traveling soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, cheer, etc) would utilize the new facilities year round, for tournaments, and local high schools are thought to also have similar access. I wish they'd go ahead and put out the grand announcement. I can't wait to hear the plan details, and view renderings.

Edited by victory

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, victory said:

Even more gossip around town on the massive redevelopment of the stadium area. In addition to retail, bars, restaurants, hotels, and new sports facilities for every Carolina sports team, a couple of folks say the project would include a new football stadium. Its thought it would be built with a smaller seating capacity, ala an NFL stadium, with nicer amenities than Williams-Brice. Non university sports teams (traveling soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, cheer, etc) would utilize the new facilities year round, for tournaments, and local high schools are thought to also have similar access. I wish they'd go ahead and put out the grand announcement. I can't wait to hear the plan details, and view renderings.

Interesting. So, like an additional stadium or a replacement for Williams-Brice? 

10 hours ago, Spartan said:

Interesting. So, like an additional stadium or a replacement for Williams-Brice? 

Well, that's the big question. A lot of folks have insinuated there will be some type of public announcement this week; in fact the project has been referred to as 11/10. I truly hope we learn something soon.   

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, vicupstate said:

So no 'big announcement'?  It never made a lot of sense to replace the football stadium. 

None yet. Folks believed (myself included ) said announcement might occur on 11/10 (November 10), but it appears "11/10" alluded to a moderator's response the development would be an "eleven out of ten" for the university and city. The State ran an article where they confirmed the state fairgrounds were not being sold, however, in the same article said the university did have a development project in that area. So, it is a real thing, and it will be transformative. The details may or may not include a rebuilding of WB, but it will be big. Recently, some rumors have surfaced that there will be condos and a hotel built into the stadium, where residents/guests, can walk directly to their seats. The Gamecocks nosedive here at the end of the season is unfortunate, although familiar, however, I hope this whole project is not contingent on wins and losses, or else it will never come to fruition.  

14 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I have heard of condos at facilities like that but a hotel seems odd.  It isn't the best location and while it would be packed during football season, that isn't many weekends. What 6 a year?  

Yeah, six or seven. We'll see. Hoping we don't have to wait too much longer on an announcement. First quarter of 2023 at latest.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, vicupstate said:

I have heard of condos at facilities like that but a hotel seems odd.  It isn't the best location and while it would be packed during football season, that isn't many weekends. What 6 a year?  

Apparently, The East Upper and South Upper decks will be torn down, to make room for whatever bells and whistles (new stadium seating, hotel and/or condos, etc) are coming. This was made public by one of the Gamecock sports message boards' moderators, recently. The "bells and whistles" have not been announced, but there are plenty of rumors.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow are ticket sales really that bad? Didn't we sell out pretty much every game this year? If they're looking at modifications that extensive then I would want to see additional normal-fan seating replace the ramps to create a U or something. Get ready for the fanbase to lose its mind - especially if they don't roll it out well.

• 7 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 10:21 AM, Spartan said:

Wow are ticket sales really that bad? Didn't we sell out pretty much every game this year? If they're looking at modifications that extensive then I would want to see additional normal-fan seating replace the ramps to create a U or something. Get ready for the fanbase to lose its mind - especially if they don't roll it out well.

This project is still a go, and renderings will be released before the opening game. Get ready. This will not only modernize the stadium and add more comfort to the fan experience, but the 800 some odd acres adjacent, will become a stadium district of shops, restaurants, hotels, bars, one or more golf courses, and an expansion of the Congaree River walkway, which will extend from Canalside all the way to Heathwood Hall. It's going to be very special!

• 3 weeks later...

OPINION - Ppl who post info contrary to group think get called “liars” around here all the time by ppl who have no idea but

Once USC decided to use their land after the first major investor only wanted parts of the 800 acres, things changed. As proof just follow USC’s own words - March was 5 months ago - yet no announcement of who was even interested muchless what they were willing to build. If there was this great push from other sources that USC was led to believe would jump all over USC’s offering of land - then why no announcements or leaks?

The bottomline is USC has re-entered serious discussions with the original plan investor. So let me just caution you guys who think others aren’t truthful - as of April there became two (so called 11/10) projects. Investors have purchased or entered into several purchase option agreement’s for NON-USC lands around the area from Shop, Key and Bluff Rds. Then you have the USC lands which are west of Bluff Rd for the most part. (This does not include the small acreage around the CLA area) So when the first stages of the development are announced - and it will be announced because it’s going to happen - you’re going to see many other parcels of land used to tie it all together that aren’t own by USC. Hilton Worldwide already has land & land options to build 2-3 hotels not tied to USC lands. A huge Fla developer has land & land options to build out a massive retail & restaurant area much like The Battery. Again not currently on USC owned lands. (OPINION - I believe this developer may still use some USC lands)

OPINION based on strong sourced conversations, you can expect to eventually see a PGA style golf course and a Resort style facility built on USC lands with additional parcels eventually going to major chain restaurants.

I also know that the investo/developer still has a desire to build a soccer complex and Worldwide training area along the Bluff Rd area. His “new” group of investors strongly believe that will be key to generating year round activity that brings in consistent retail dollars. Again - as of the last meeting they don’t anticipate using USC lands though USC has became very aggressive in acquiring other parcels. But it will all work together to achieve the main goal.

Lastly, once USC made the decision NOT to move the stadium, the investor, who generated the first proposal backed off. Since that point - the two sides have comeback together somewhat. The biggest issue in not moving the stadium foot print came down to timing. A new stadium could have been built in the 8 month window between seasons - just redeveloping the current foot print will take up to 2 to 2.5 years, as it has to be done in phases so no home games are lost due to delays in replacing the water/sewer system under the stadium. The developer wanted it built as fast as possible for obvious reasons - $$$$$’s while USC wanted to honor the site tradition. It appears USC has won out but has had to locate and add an additional investor to join the stadium project. (This could be Buffalo Wild-Wings as another poster said. I don’t know) So it remains - early projections weren’t wrong - things changed over the course of getting it all worked out - things could still change as the parties are still negotiating and ironing out issues. (OPINION - I don’t think the stadium discussions have completely ended)

I’d suggest everyone keep in mind - there are several moving parts in what USC wants completed and where but there are also several moving parts to what other investors want and where they’re willing to put their projects. That’s really not that surprising because this thing started out as a massive undertaking and first proposals were bound to change. At this point, I don’t believe USC’s land usage will be as big in Phase One as had been hoped. (Again my OPINION)

Make NO mistake, the projects on both groups part are still on course even with the delays and will be built. Too much has been invested not to see it completed. I just don’t believe it’s going to be as fast as some here thought including me, it already hasn’t been. It will generate revenue that will make it a game changer for WB area, USC and Cola as there have already been smaller venues developed that are extremely profitable. This thing is just more massive (or proposed as such)

*****there was a period near the first of this year where there was a lot of frustration on both sides. They held several closed door meetings in May & early June to work somethings out. Relationships have progressively gotten better and things appear to be moving nicely again. I’d be shocked if there’s an announcement prior to the season opener, though (that’s just my OPINION based on all parties wanting the announcement to be the talk of the nation so they’re just not going to let anyone half **** it.

Those who have previously called me a “liar”, feel free to not believe a word of this either. I seriously doubt anyone involved on the investors side or USC’s has knowledge of all the various moving parts and the changes that naturally occur in planning something this impressive and massive. That’s my point - there’s been no formal announcement because negotiations are on going and projects can still change.

Above, is a post someone made to a Gamecocks sports message board today. I have talked about this project before, although, like 99% of folks (the above poster excluded) I have only heard generalities about the project. It is getting closer.  I don't know the above poster, and I do not post on said site, but I do read the forum for info on Gamecock sports, and in this case, any info I can get on the big project. So, fingers crossed this happens, and is as grand in size and scope as we've been led to believe. In reading his post, be aware its not necessary to understand some of the points he makes. Just do as I did, and think about some of the projects mentioned..ie a year round soccer complex, PGA style golf course and resort, multiple hotels and restaurants, and of course, work on the stadium. It's fun to dream.    

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A new article on the WB Stadium area development plans. This focuses largely on athletic fields, and less on the actual stadium improvements, or any concrete info on retail/restaurant/hotel stuff. https://www.dailygamecock.com/article/2023/11/new-recreational-fields-could-be-coming-with-williams-brice-stadium-development-davisson-news

• 3 weeks later...

USC to purchase Rutledge building and 1430 Senate St.

The University of South Carolina is planning to buy two state-owned office buildings in downtown Columbia, further expanding the flagship university’s footprint south of Gervais Street. 

USC’s board of trustees voted Dec. 19 to approve the purchase of the Rutledge Building office tower at the intersection of Bull and Senate streets, currently home to the S.C. Department of Education, and the 1430 Senate Street office building across the street. They would cost the university $2.2 million each.

The two real estate acquisitions still need approval from the state before the property is in USC’s hands, though USC spokesman Jeff Stensland said the university doesn’t expect issues getting those approvals. 

The Department of Education is set to move out of its downtown headquarters this summer to a new location at the State Farmers Market in Lexington County, department spokesman Jason Raven said.

Seems like $2.2 is pretty cheap for the Rutledge building. Hell the land ought to be worth most of that. I realize it will need a gutted to the studs but still. 

• Like 1