Links of Fayetteville

strmchsr77

The Links is moving right along. There are 4 story stair shafts in place but looking at the plans I'm not sure where they are located on the plans. These photos are from the SW corner of the property about 200 ft off Rupple Rd. It's very evident now just how huge a project this is.

On another note- the Wedington Road widening project in this area is getting it's final layer of asphalt- I imagine anyone who used that road regularly is glad to see that happening.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I liked the name Wellspring better... Lindsey has several places titled "The Links" and it's becoming an incredibly common name for other developers too. I guess it's more obvious golf is involved if they use that name instead of Wellspring though.

Honestly, I liked the name Wellspring better... Lindsey has several places titled "The Links" and it's becoming an incredibly common name for other developers too. I guess it's more obvious golf is involved if they use that name instead of Wellspring though.

• 2 months later...

This project is really frustrating me. I realize that Lindsey has basically one style and that works for him, but the way he pushed and advertised this project to the city and the citizens of Fayetteville, I was at least hoping for it to be his most stylish project so far, or maybe even a little unique, but it's the exact same as everything else he's built. The apartments may be a little nicer inside, I don't know, but the 2-story ones are the exact same as his other recent ones, and those 4 story buildings aren't impressive looking either. I would have much rather seen something like Southern View II out there instead of more generic apartment buildings.

This project is really frustrating me. I realize that Lindsey has basically one style and that works for him, but the way he pushed and advertised this project to the city and the citizens of Fayetteville, I was at least hoping for it to be his most stylish project so far, or maybe even a little unique, but it's the exact same as everything else he's built. The apartments may be a little nicer inside, I don't know, but the 2-story ones are the exact same as his other recent ones, and those 4 story buildings aren't impressive looking either. I would have much rather seen something like Southern View II out there instead of more generic apartment buildings.

• 4 months later...
My wife and I drove through The Links today--yuck! The place is absolutely horrible. The worse architecture I have ever seen. Four story columns made of three different kinds of materials?? What the heck is this. It is not a plus---very cheap buildings, very monotonous. My wife (a landscape architect) thinks that there should be some sort of Edward Scissorshands-esque movie shot there....

M

Ok I totally agree that his architecture may not be winning any awards, but his golf courses should. Somehow he manages to build extraordinary courses right smack in the middle of sprawling apartment complexes - yet, when you play, you couldn't feel further away from the hustle and bustle. The green and fairways grass is spectacular at every Lindsey course I have played and the layout and conditions rival any private course in the area. For the price to play, there is no better option in my opinion. Personally, I think Mr. Lindsey is a GENIUS.

Ok I totally agree that his architecture may not be winning any awards, but his golf courses should. Somehow he manages to build extraordinary courses right smack in the middle of sprawling apartment complexes - yet, when you play, you couldn't feel further away from the hustle and bustle. The green and fairways grass is spectacular at every Lindsey course I have played and the layout and conditions rival any private course in the area. For the price to play, there is no better option in my opinion. Personally, I think Mr. Lindsey is a GENIUS.

For the price, the courses aren't too bad... But I definitely agree with the GENIUS statement. Using the same apartment designs over and over again takes a lot of question marks out of estimating construction costs, and helps keep those costs LOW.

If all NWA builders were as diligent in managing costs as Lindsey has been maybe a lot more of them would still be in business.

I also think that there's a lot of Builder-envy going on out there.... From what I can tell Big Jim runs a pretty clean ship, pays his bills on time, and finishes every project he starts. If the worst you can say about a builder is that you don't like his design choices then so be it. :o)

There's no builder envy from me, Pal, I can assure you--and money is not everything to some of us, either. I pay all my bills on time and finish everything I start. I do not do huge, ugly-assed projects that are a blight on the landscape however. I use all my own dough to do what I do and have no other investors.

No one is saying that Jim is not a great businessperson but design is a big deal to me and a big part of what we talk about in this forum. Bad design (like the Links) is something we will all have to live with a long time. And as far as other builder/developers not watching their costs and that's why they are in trouble I would take issue with that. Too much of the same crappy undifferentiated product is why they cannot sell anything.....at least in my opinion.

Mark

Mark,

I didn't mean to insinuate anything toward you -- I know you do great work and have a great reputation... The point I was trying to make is that when you cater to a customer that's at the lower end of the financial spectrum, as Lindsay does, you don't have as much wiggle room in your budget to risk cost overruns -- especially on a project of this scale (I'm guessing a budget of at least $20 Million?). Especially when cities like Fayetteville hit you with infrastructure improvement costs. Any idea what it's costing Lindsey to widen Rupple Road between Wedington Rd. and Porter Rd.?

Factoring in the fact that the apartment market in Fayetteville is VERY competitive right now (according to the Skyline report) it would be very difficult to justify implementing an unfamiliar design, which would probably need different materials and different contractors -- all of which carry added risk. I, too, would love to see some sort of Shangri La development go up on that property, but I were footing the bill wouldn't risk bankrupting the project in order to make it happen.

I know there are a couple other big apartment complexes going up right now (one in Mountain Ranch and the former Aspen Ridge) with different designs.... it will be interesting to see who's left standing in a couple of years. Hopefully all, but you never know....

FYI, one of the buildings under construction blew over in our last large storm... Not sure if anyone knew about that. I am sure that doesn't help Lindsey any. I have not heard about Lindsey having any future shakeouts... That could have some interesting effects.

I thought it would be good to have some photos of what we are discussing- the first is one of the 4 story buildings at the Links. The second is of the 3 story Southern View complex off I540 and the third is one of Lindsey's early complexes- Appleby Apartments on Gregg.

I think the photos show that Lindsey has added variation to their projects over time and while they aren't architecture marvels, for what they are they are as good as any on the market. They obviously fill a market niche that is in demand or Lindsey wouldn't be successful. I rented from Lindsey years ago and the rent fit my income at the time while giving me amenities such as a clubhouse/fitness center, swimming pool and onsite management that most others complexes didn't offer. The complex was well maintained and secure.

The drawbacks to Lindsey's approach is the that the majority of his projects do look alike- you can go to most cities within a few hundred miles and instantly pick out the Lindsey complex. Whle the golf course style is attractive to those renting there I think they help contribute to sprawl and all it's negatives. And, like I said before they won't win any medals for architectural execellence.

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1284.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

I didn't say anything about Southern View. I think it is definitely a notch above the other two here. Much more interesting design-wise with the commercial stuff on the ground level. Better!

M

I thought it would be good to have some photos of what we are discussing- the first is one of the 4 story buildings at the Links. The second is of the 3 story Southern View complex off I540 and the third is one of Lindsey's early complexes- Appleby Apartments on Gregg.

I think the photos show that Lindsey has added variation to their projects over time and while they aren't architecture marvels, for what they are they are as good as any on the market. They obviously fill a market niche that is in demand or Lindsey wouldn't be successful. I rented from Lindsey years ago and the rent fit my income at the time while giving me amenities such as a clubhouse/fitness center, swimming pool and onsite management that most others complexes didn't offer. The complex was well maintained and secure.

The drawbacks to Lindsey's approach is the that the majority of his projects do look alike- you can go to most cities within a few hundred miles and instantly pick out the Lindsey complex. Whle the golf course style is attractive to those renting there I think they help contribute to sprawl and all it's negatives. And, like I said before they won't win any medals for architectural execellence.

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1284.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

Yes, that phase of Southern View is a major departure from Lindsey's approach so far. I think it has been said on here before that it would have been a great addition to the central part of town rather that out on the freeway. The apartments seem to have rented out nicely but the commercial is still mostly empty. I know they asked the city for permission to use some of the first floor space as hotel rooms but I haven't seen any steps towards making that happen. That's a tough spot for commercial being on a one way frontage street.

Lindsey does have plans for some three story mixed use buildings on Stearns close to it's headquarters on Joyce. I haven't seen exactly what they will look like but maybe that type of development will become a bigger part of their focus.

Archived