Possible Transit between Little Rock and another city?

Mith242

Can anyone imagine some sort of transit say between Little Rock and Memphis, or perhaps even say between Little Rock and NWA anytime in the near future? What do you guys think of the possibilities? If you like the idea how would you like to have it set up?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone imagine some sort of transit say between Little Rock and Memphis, or perhaps even say between Little Rock and NWA anytime in the near future? What do you guys think of the possibilities? If you like the idea how would you like to have it set up?

I would like to see it but I don't think it will happen in the future unless the population of the areas double. If Tunica continues to develop and transit is developed between there and Memphis, maybe.

I figured Memphis would be one of the most logical areas. It's one of the most populous areas that close to Arkansas. Granted none of these ideas may be very feasible. I like the Little Rock NWA idea. But aside from the sports aspect of it there peobably just isn't enough population to warrant anything like that. But still I like to at least think about it. :D

lol. Who here among us would choose to ride a bus over driving our own car from Conway to Little Rock?

I'm not going to even bother with light rail....

Yeah I know there's that mentality in this area. But I wonder how bad before traffic got before people might consider it. Of course I imagine most people would say the only solution is to add more lanes and still wouldn't consider a transit.

lol. Who here among us would choose to ride a bus over driving our own car from Conway to Little Rock?

I'm not going to even bother with light rail....

And I didn't suggest Light Rail Johnny :D

Transit could mean a multiple number of things. I was thinking more along the lines of Bus Service. Think about I-40, I know it won't be able to take much more in the coming years.

Yeah I know there's that mentality in this area. But I wonder how bad before traffic got before people might consider it. Of course I imagine most people would say the only solution is to add more lanes and still wouldn't consider a transit.

Public transit will only be used when it offers a service. Ex: LR to Conway rapid bus service. Lease out buses to private companies. A.M. service. Dunkin Donuts bus service from Conway to LR. The rider would pay a cover charge and then they could purchase coffee and donuts or other breakfast items along with a newspaper. For the return P.M. trip have a Hooters bus. Cover charge, wings and beer. Or for those who would want a more mellow ride a Starbucks bus. Cover charge, coffee and an ipod download. Or use the rails an reinvent the club car. Lease out the cars to different companies like the buses above. Just a thought.

And I didn't suggest Light Rail Johnny :D

Transit could mean a multiple number of things. I was thinking more along the lines of Bus Service. Think about I-40, I know it won't be able to take much more in the coming years.

Yeah I just said transit. I didn't say it had to be buses or anything. Maybe we should start up a topic for a maglev here in Arkansas. :lol:

Still, who in Conway would drive to a bus depot to begin with, then wait for a bus and PAY to go to Little Rock........when it only takes 30 min to get to Little Rock from Conway.

In the time that person was traveling to the bus depot, waiting for the bus, and finally travelling to LR, he or she could have already travelled back and forth from LR.

Little Rock and Memphis seems more reasonable because:

1) the cities are more urban, so bus depots wouldn't be too far away if you lived in the city.

2) the distance is greater, but not too big either.

Still, who in Conway would drive to a bus depot to begin with, then wait for a bus and PAY to go to Little Rock........when it only takes 30 min to get to Little Rock from Conway.

In the time that person was traveling to the bus depot, waiting for the bus, and finally travelling to LR, he or she could have already travelled back and forth from LR.

Little Rock and Memphis seems more reasonable because:

1) the cities are more urban, so bus depots wouldn't be too far away if you lived in the city.

2) the distance is greater, but not too big either.

Yeah a rail system might be a better option if you were looking at some sort of Little Rock to Conway option.

...Actually I don't think either would be feasible....

Well I know it's certainly not likely. But I was just curious to see what people had to say. That and it had been getting quiet over here again so I thought I'd see if I could liven things up a bit. :D

I can't believe that NWA is considering a "light-rail" system. I mean, really. That's the most sprawling, non-urban fabric metropolitan area out there. Light-rail intended as a "mass-market" mode of transportation is only well suited to high density population centers - like that found in the northeast - where attempting to travel by car is difficult due to traffic and parking concerns. Traveling by car from Rogers to Fayetteville couldn't be any more convenient. In 50 years? Maybe. But even then, it won't have grown to a size substantially different from LR, and I don't believe that its feasible or practical here.

A "local" rail system - like that being developed in the urban core of LR-NLR to spur development, tourism, and to reinforce an urban lifestyle, might make more sense - perhaps in Fayetteville between the campus, Dickson Street, and the square.

I can't believe that NWA is considering a "light-rail" system. I mean, really. That's the most sprawling, non-urban fabric metropolitan area out there. Light-rail intended as a "mass-market" mode of transportation is only well suited to high density population centers - like that found in the northeast - where attempting to travel by car is difficult due to traffic and parking concerns. Traveling by car from Rogers to Fayetteville couldn't be any more convenient. In 50 years? Maybe. But even then, it won't have grown to a size substantially different from LR, and I don't believe that its feasible or practical here.

A "local" rail system - like that being developed in the urban core of LR-NLR to spur development, tourism, and to reinforce an urban lifestyle, might make more sense - perhaps in Fayetteville between the campus, Dickson Street, and the square.

Exactly. Light rail systems exist in areas that are densely urbanized to the point that it makes more sense to use them than automobiles. No amount of wishful thinking will make them necessary or feasible here in Arkansas. I whole-heartedly agree that rail systems can successfully enhance the urban fabric of a city, as Little Rock is seeing. Notice that the River Rail follows areas of development; it is not used to attract development. Hence, there is no route on Main Street, as of yet.

• 3 years later...

I didn't know where else to put this, and didn't think it justified its own thread (yet), but:

Today, President Obama announced a high-speed rail initiative, and I found a document online outlining the potential route corridors, which listed Little Rock in the South-Central corridor (Tulsa, OKC, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock).

All a very big "what if" but the fact that Little Rock bears enough weight to play into a route (among the 55 cities listed) is interesting.

I didn't know where else to put this, and didn't think it justified its own thread (yet), but:

Today, President Obama announced a high-speed rail initiative, and I found a document online outlining the potential route corridors, which listed Little Rock in the South-Central corridor (Tulsa, OKC, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock).

All a very big "what if" but the fact that Little Rock bears enough weight to play into a route (among the 55 cities listed) is interesting.

Archived