What will put Greenville on the map?

g-vegasman

I know downtown is already recognized as a great downtown, but what will really put Greenville on the map?

I mean Orlando is known for it's tourism and theme parks...

New York for Time Square and it's shopping...

Boston for it's history...

Miami for it's clubs and beaches....

Atlanta for it's shopping and attractions....

San Antonio for the river walk...

Memphis for Elvis and Beale Street...

Myrtle Bech, well, for the beach and attractions...

New Orlans for Mardi Gras...

Daytona for spring break and bike week...

Las Vegas no explanation needed...

I think you get the drift. Each City has become a desitnation for people becuase of some reason.

What could Greenville get to make it a destination for folks to want to come here and Vacation for a week or two?

Could it be a major bicycling event each year? Turn fall for Greenville into a huge week long party attraction?

Any ideas?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is simple, IMO, since Greenville is already on the map for everyone who first witnesses it for themselves.

In terms of a major event or attractions, I'd definitely say the BMW Charity Pro-AM golf tournament at the Cliffs, and the US Pro Cycling Championship races to be held here. For some it is the entertainment venues, the shopping, the atmosphere, the high-level education. In any case, I've witnessed too many people's jaw drop upon first visiting our city, and to me that means we're already in the ideal position to attract more. New places and things will continue to come, but it is the charm and beauty of the city you see today that will not only keep Greenville on the map, but also in the hearts of everyone who's visited her. :wub:

This is simple, IMO, since Greenville is already on the map for everyone who first witnesses it for themselves.

In terms of a major event or attractions, I'd definitely say the BMW Charity Pro-AM golf tournament at the Cliffs, and the US Pro Cycling Championship races to be held here. For some it is the entertainment venues, the shopping, the atmosphere, the high-level education. In any case, I've witnessed too many people's jaw drop upon first visiting our city, and to me that means we're already in the ideal position to attract more. New places and things will continue to come, but it is the charm and beauty of the city you see today that will not only keep Greenville on the map, but also in the hearts of everyone who's visited her. :wub:

Although, I agree Greenville is somewhat on the map, I don't believe it is on scale like the cities mentioned above. Although, most of 'em have much larger populations. However, most folks dont come ot Greenville to vacation or spend a whole week here. That is more of what I was talking about. What could get them here and keep them in the City all week?

Apart from building a large tourist attraction or plastering advertising everywhere around the nation, their isn't much we could do today to greatly increase our chances of what you're refering to. I know many people who have visited and returned many times since, because they love it here. We'll continue to grow rapidly and that will bring the greater noteriety and desireability, but Greenville is incredibly blessed with infectious attraction for a city/metro its size. Add time and that'll get even better. We are seeing a snowball effect in real estate construction and already have the region's biggest and best everything. The addition of the national cycling championship will help boost this effect even faster. I'm excited! :D

I know downtown is already recognized as a great downtown, but what will really put Greenville on the map?

I mean Orlando is known for it's tourism and theme parks...

New York for Time Square and it's shopping...

Boston for it's history...

Miami for it's clubs and beaches....

Atlanta for it's shopping and attractions....

San Antonio for the river walk...

Memphis for Elvis and Beale Street...

Myrtle Bech, well, for the beach and attractions...

New Orlans for Mardi Gras...

Daytona for spring break and bike week...

Las Vegas no explanation needed...

I think you get the drift. Each City has become a desitnation for people becuase of some reason.

What could Greenville get to make it a destination for folks to want to come here and Vacation for a week or two?

Could it be a major bicycling event each year? Turn fall for Greenville into a huge week long party attraction?

Any ideas?

Notice anything in common with these cities? They are all a great deal larger than Greenville. These cities are known because they have made a name for themselves in the past, and generally without the intent of make a new for itself, with the exceptions being the extreme tourist cities like Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, Orlando.

I would like for Greenville to be something more like Memphis or San Antonio. A place with a solid core and quality urban development, suburban areas, and not primarily a tourist destination. Greenville won't ever get rid of the suburbs, but I would like to think that downtown will be a real living location choice for anyone in the city, with multiple urban neighborhoods in addition to Main St.

Oh this is easy! Greenville will be on the map when it hosts the Olympic games in 2036! Get excited people! Tell your friends, and family; also you might want to start investing in the Greenville area... Build a hotel, open a resturant, gift shop, or such... you know! :D:D:D

And here I thought the Worlds Fair was a stretch....

I do agree that we need a master plan for creating an even better city. This is where I would like to implement my International Village idea. Now that would be a major attraction! :yahoo:

I would argue that Vision 2025 is our master plan:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/11/01/Vision2025.pdf

(I couldn't find a link to the brochure version of this plan or to Greenville Forward => the new organization funded by the Communty Foundation to guide Greenville toward the goals in Vision 2025).

And notice it does call for an international center on page 48. (again, brochure version is much easier reading)

(I couldn't find a link to the brochure version of this plan or to Greenville Forward => the new organization funded by the Communty Foundation to guide Greenville toward the goals in Vision 2025).

And notice it does call for an international center on page 48. (again, brochure version is much easier reading)

Thanks for that EDPro.

I haven't looked at this document for some time. Your reference will get me to look it over again. :thumbsup:

I have several copies of this document with color renderings and photos. Yes, there is a large international center on one of the pages, but I would like to see something more authenticly modeled after traditional architecture in the various countries. ;) I'll scan a copy of the one on the document later today, if I have a chance.

Piggly Wiggly's new world headquarters. Maybe a 20-30 story building with a giant pig's head on top. Just imagine the Gaffeny Peach as a pigs head on top of the landmark building. At the holidays we could even shine green and red spotlight on the pig head.

Lake Placid got the Olympics, is it reall that much of a stretch?

This is true, but those games were awarded to Lake Placid in 1974, during an era when few cities actually wanted to host the winter olympics. The economics of hosting the games has changed quite a bit since then. As I recall, Lake Placid had two things going for it: 1) They had a history of hosting the games previously (1932) and 2) their only competition (Vancouver) withdrew prior to the final vote.

An interesting trivial tidbit: Denver was awarded the 1976 winter olympic games; however, voters came out against hosting the games (due to environmental concerns and expenses), so the IOC was left scurrying to find a city to host the 1976 olympics. They called on Innsbruck, Austria, which had hosted the successful 1964 winter games.

If we just had mountain ski resorts nearby and an ample supply of snow during February, I think maybe we could pull off hosting the winter olympics; however, the summer olympics are just too far out of reach considering our size, transportation infrastructure, number of hotel rooms, and available facilities. OK. Now that I've said it's never going to happen: prove me wrong. :thumbsup:

I'm all over it! :lol:

I think we can definitely begin to look at hosting more international sporting events with ties to the IOC. Afterall, the newly acquired cycling race is affiliated with the organization. The next step will be to host a week-long international cycling race. Then take the next step, and so on, up the ladder. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I have some doubts about it. Like how will all of these people get around during the games? Can you imagine the congestion? Yikes. Atlanta had a hard enough time, I'd hate to think how it would be in Greenville. Of course, the Olympics could be so unpopular by that future date that it wont be an issue :rolleyes:

The Olympics are also a regional event. The entire Upstate and probably western NC would benefit from them as the various events are spread around.

Archived