Memphis Tams and Memphis Sounds

flotown

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody remember these pre Grizzlies ABA teams from the 70's?

http://www.remembertheaba.com/Memphis-Tams.html

http://www.remembertheaba.com/Memphis-Sounds.html

It makes me wonder why the Grizzlies never changed their name to something with a more local flavor. How about the Memphis Tops (named after the bar-b-que joint).

lol what is that??

I know the Memphis Sounds as a drumcorps from the area... i believe div I or II

Personally, I like the sound of "Memphis Grizzlies" especially when the PA announcer says it. Weren't the southernmen also known as the grizzlies? Thats a local connection. Anyone know the explaination of that? Also the grizzlies were thinking about Fedex changing the name to the "Memphis Express" but the NBA doesn't allow teams to be named after companies.

lol what is that??

I know the Memphis Sounds as a drumcorps from the area... i believe div I or II

Memphis Sounds were GREAT. Legendary. I think Larry Finch played for them. Made famous on the underground basketball scene in the 90s with the Li'l Penny "action figure" with the #1/2 Sounds jersey.

I wish the Grizzlies changed their name to reflect the town; but, hey, maybe that just means we need to wait for another major league team to name. For a basketball team I always liked the name Legends for some reason; it seemed appropriate for the city, both sportswise, musically, and culturally.

Archived