Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weill

Roanoke Sports

70 posts in this topic

I will start keeping you up to date on the Roanoke Dazzle (Basketball), Roanoke Valley Vipers(Hockey), and Salem Avalanche(Baseball). Feel free to add anything.

Roanoke Dazzle

The Washington Wizards have re-assigned PJ Ramos back to the Roanoke Dazzle

Feb. 10 Results

Fayetteville Patriots 104 at Roanoke 111

(Attendance: 2,823)

Feb. 11 Results

Roanoke 96 at Austin Toros 106

(Attendance: 2,233)

Roanoke Valley Vipers

Roanoke fires Coach Jim Wiley in current 9-game skid, Assistant Coach and former professional hockey player Daniel Berthiaume was named interim Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations, and has resumed the position as of today(Feb. 6)

Feb. 11 Results

Roanoke 0 at Quad City 7

Salem Avalanche

For the first time ever the Salem Avalanche will play in a major league facility on May 21st when the Avalanche head to RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. to take on the Potomac Nationals. The game will follow a 1:05 interleague tilt between the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles

Roanoke Dazzle

Feb. 14 Results

Roanoke 117 at Austin 121

Feb. 15

Roanoke 128 at Tulsa 121

Roanoke Valley Vipers

Feb. 15

Richmond 8 at Roanoke 1

Attendance 1,253

Salem Avalanche

The Salem Avalanche will be holding a Job Fair on Saturday, March 4th from 11AM-2PM at Salem Memorial Baseball Stadium. The Job Fair will be held to accept applications and conduct interviews for seasonal positions.

Salem Avalanche

The Avalanche starts the "Hit the books" program. The Salem Avalanche are kick-starting their 2006 Reading Program,

Roanoke Dazzle

Roanoke Dazzle Cancels Friday nights Game

On Friday, the team's traveling party split into two groups, with half making it to Cincinnati and the other half to Newark. While the players in Cincinnati were expected to arrive in Roanoke late Friday afternoon, the ones in Newark were put on hold again by a high-wind advisory on the east coast that was keeping planes seating 50 or less passengers on the ground.

The two teams will play their regularly scheduled game Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Roanoke Civic Center. All tickets for Friday's game will be honored at today's game. Kids favorite SpongeBob SquarePants, who was scheduled to appear Friday, will be on hand Saturday.

Source: The Roanoke Times

I could have put this in several different topics so I just chose this one.

It appears that an exciting competition will take place in the Roanoke Valley, taking advantage of the abundant mountainous terrain.

Full article: roanoke times

In terms out access to the outdoors, Roanoke could soon adopt "Asheville Light" as its new slogan. :rofl:

The exposure to high powered executives sure won't hurt. Hopefully the city and county will do all they can to highlight and showcase what we have to offer in terms of quality of life. You never know when one of the companies these folks run may want to expand and if they had a great time here...... Stuff like this rarely has much short-term payoff but in the long term the more exposure we get to the outside world (rather than trying to close ourselves off from it) the better the chance of development from the outside coming in. Roanoke has a tremendous amount to offer naturally and if we just make a few upgrades from an urban perspective, it really can be a first class place to live. Otherwise, it will remain a nice place to visit but not a place most would think "man, I'd really like to move there". Unfortunately, many native Roanokers just simply can't understand why people who have lived other places don't think Roanoke is as great as they think it is. They don't have any perspective from not actually having lived anywhere else. It makes the feel around here VERY provincial at times. In that recent study that was released from Carilion, one of the things that struck me was that we have the smallest percentage of people who are from out of state living here by quite a lot (only 8%) when compared to other similar size cities. Still, I see small movement around here that continues to make me hopeful for significant change. Currently, people visit and think it's pretty, but that's about where it ends. Hopefully, that will not be the case with these execs.

The D-League will no longer operate the Roanoke Dazzle, Now that doesnt mean that its will be kicked out of the league, but that means if it doesnt have someone that will buy it soon, then the Dazzle are gone forever.

If you choose to, please sign the Save the Roanoke Dazzle Petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/roadaz/petition.html

Roanoke Valley Vipers

Next week, owners will meet to determine if the Vipers will be here in Roanoke next year. Roanoke lost the Dazzle last week. Both had lack of fan support. Vipers, who finished their 1st season in Roanoke, a few weeks ago, have a 3-year lease with the Civic Center. Callahan and community relations director Amy Webb are the only employees left working in the Vipers' office. Radio broadcaster Matt Rosen said he was "let go" last week.

Salem Avalanche

Game one of a three-game series between Salem and Kinston was suspended due to rain on Friday Night at Grainger Stadium in Kinston, NC. The game will be made up Saturday as part of a doubleheader at 5PM.

Salem Avalanche

May 6th results

1st Game: Salem 1 at Kinston 13

2nd Game: Salem 1 at Kinston 5

Salem Avalanche

May 8th Results

Winston-Salem 1 at Salem 3

Attendance: 1,252

Salem Avalanche

Sunday afternoon's contest between the Salem Avalanche and Wilmington Blue Rocks has been postponed.

Roanoke Valley Vipers

Team terminated by the UHL.

Why were they terminated?

Because attendance was a little over 1,500 a game. They had hoped for 3,000. But the head coach argues that it isnt the people of Roanoke that messed up, it was the UHL. Head coach Daniel Berthiaume said these were the reasons, "Price-wise for the tickets at the beginning, and the team was not the kind of team that Roanoke wants. Roanoke fans want to see a tough team."The Vipers went 17-53-6, changing coaches and general managers but never improving on the ice or off. Some local businesses were dismayed to discover that the game-day program for which they bought advertising was never printed. Other businesses conflicted with the Vipers over unpaid bills.Three team members, all annoymas, said that they had not received pay for the final two weeks of the season.

I have emailed the commissoner of SPHL, the leauge Richmond is in (They left the UHL), and he said, "The SPHL does not pursue teams that are members of other leagues(Roanoke was a part of the UHL at this point in time). If Roanoke is ever without a hockey team, if an ownership group is available, and if the building deal is reasonable, our league would certainly consider admitting your city into the SPHL."

Can someone please explain why noone goes to sporting events in Roanoke other than Avalanche games?

Steven, The conclusion I have came up with is this, If they are not locally owned, then they do horrible in the front office. The Roanoke Valley Vipers owners were in Ohio, The Dazzle was owned by the NBA, in New York and Greenville, SC. Salem however, is owned by people in town. I also believe that because baseball is one of the most favorable sports in America, that more people would come and watch. Maybe its the grass, the hot dog, you know, the overall atmosphere. That's just my thinking....

Todays score...

Salem Avalanche 3 at Winston Salem 1

I remember going to Express games that had 7-8000 people in attendance. I don't know what happened since then, that was probably 6-8 years ago. Personally, I'd rather watch a hockey or basketball game than a baseball game. Baseball is just too slow to hold my interest most of the time. I went to a Nationals/Braves game at RFK, and that was great, but hey, I got the ticket for free.

I remember going to Express games that had 7-8000 people in attendance. I don't know what happened since then, that was probably 6-8 years ago.

Yep, when hockey moved to the Civic Center from that craphole The Lancerlot, attendance was really strong for a while. I guess the novelty wore off.