Will backward fundamentalists stop economic progress again?

Jerseyman4

More on the article from WFMY

"I'm a Christian first and foremost," says Reverend Kenneth Reaves, Pastor of First Baptist Church in Randleman. "And I beleive the Bible teaches against alochol."

People like that really piss me off and certainly can deter a lot of economic activity wanting to locate to Randolph County! When i was in Asheboro for a summer, I had to drive to Randleman at the Wal Mart to buy booze since Asheboro and the county is under prohibition. Asheboro could really end up being a city the size of Hickory or Rocky Mount or even bigger if they could simply legalize alchohol sales by drink and in the store. A city, full of potential with an excellent highway system in the county, in between Raleigh and Charlotte and the North Carolina Zoo attracting tourists, it could do so much better. I dont know if teh fundys are going by the bible as an excuse that alchohol is evil or scared of change? (or both).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do wonder how much of effect such laws do have on growth though.

They do effect growth. Grocery stores which can sell beer/wine locate inches over the county line in adjacent counties or municipalities, taking their tax revenue with them.

Let them ban the booze, fine. Let's just not spend any more state money trying to lure economic development to their county.

They do effect growth. Grocery stores which can sell beer/wine locate inches over the county line in adjacent counties or municipalities, taking their tax revenue with them.

I am in favor of alcohol sales for several reasons, but the ability to serve/sale alcohol in eating establishments or stores will not ensure a big growth in economics for the city.

My basis for that statement is my former home; Thomasville. Once we finally were able to vote in alcohol sales, we thought this would bring better restaurants to Thomasville. After several years of alcohol sales, that still has not happened. Thomasville is the 26th largest city in North Carolina, it has 1 bar; which is a private club, other than Hardees-McDonalds-Burger King, it has no large chain restaurants. There are half-a-dozen or so pizza places that sell beer, and 1 steak house. The family type "homecooking" restaurants do not sell alcohol.

Thomasville has 2 ABC stores which do a lot of business, so the city does receive tax revenues from them. Naturally, any place that sells alcohol must purchase the appropriate license from the city which brings in some tax revenue. But, the total tax revenues taken in from alcohol sells is not as much as you would think.

I am in favor of alcohol sales for several reasons, but the ability to serve/sale alcohol in eating establishments or stores will not ensure a big growth in economics for the city.

Randleman is situated where I-73 and I-74 will split so theres a good chance commerce & industry may be interested of locating there. Asheboro needs the alchohol legalized more than Randleman because many tourists visit the NC zoo. Its not unusual tourists go to Greensboro or High Point to dine out and thats tourism revenue lost right there for the city of Asheboro/Randolph County.

Thomasville has 2 ABC stores which do a lot of business, so the city does receive tax revenues from them. Naturally, any place that sells alcohol must purchase the appropriate license from the city which brings in some tax revenue. But, the total tax revenues taken in from alcohol sells is not as much as you would think.

The ABC is such a rip off and so are NC alchohol taxes. Anytime i am up north and coming down to NC, i always stock up on booze from NJ or VA before entering the state. I dont feel so bad getting my gas in NC because i feel that the gas tax goes to the highways that NCDOT does a good job with maintience statewide but alchohol, fughetta about it.

I don't have a problem with having a discussion on the merits of whether alcohol sales are good for bad for a community. However I do have an issue when the thread starts out by attacking people's religious beliefs. There were better ways to have started this and making personal attacks against those who disagree with the free flowing sale of booze is not what we want to see here at UrbanPlanet. If it were up to me, religion would not be discussed on this site at all because everytime it is brought up, it upsets someone.

Archived