MTV Real World

voyager12

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the top floor of Epicentre would be great....but Charlotte is dull compared to all the previous places I think (haven't watched it in 6 years). There are lots of places (Atlanta) that will get it before Charlotte......or the other option is to legalize every vice known to man.

I think the top floor of Epicentre would be great....but Charlotte is dull compared to all the previous places I think (haven't watched it in 6 years). There are lots of places (Atlanta) that will get it before Charlotte......or the other option is to legalize every vice known to man.

Charlotte may be dull compared to the previous spots, but its the real world. i mean, what do they do other than get drunk, have sex, and do some stupid job the studio execs hook them up with. you can do that in Kalamazoo. :P

Thanks to whoever made my topic and tagline more concise! I was a little tired earlier and had not had enough coffee. I also think Charleston would be a great place for Real World either downtown or out on Folly Beach. Real World may be juvenile and mindless but cities do compete and benefit from the exposure. Charlotte may not be large enough to host yet and if it does in the future hopefully McCrory will be gone because I am sure he and all his neanderthal provincial cronies would fight to block it on "moral" grounds.

I could see them doing Charleston more than anywhere in the Carolinas, but if anywhere in NC has a chance to get a Real World season it'd be Asheville, Wilmington, or Chapel Hill, although all seem long shots. Charlotte...not so much.

Charlotte would probably be embarassed to have RW anyway. They'd constantly be getting into trouble, and local news would give a lead story "Couple fist fights and then makes out on the streets of uptown, new police division is formed to combat lascivious lashings. We'll be back with airstar footage after these messages."

I don't think it has much to do with the size of the city as much as the culture or feel of the city. The new season is in Key West. Charlotte is just to corporate to work for the Real World however we must be doing something right since we're attracting boatloads of recent college grads. I think the city could eventually land it years and years from now if we continue to see neighborhoods like Plaza-Midwood, NODA, and SouthEnd continue to grow into fun and exciting neighborhoods. For the record I think Charlotte isn't a boring place but I can see why Real World folks would see it that way. I think it all has to do with city branding and Charlotte's brand doesn't mesh with MTV right now, Austin's does. For the record, I don't think San Diego's brand meshed either but SD got it. I haven't watched it in a while and maybe I'm just starting to get too old to enjoy it anymore but I can see other North American and even foreign cities getting it before us. They haven't done DC, Atlanta, Denver, Vancouver, Toronto, and outside of North America they still have options like Sydney, Melbourne, I can see them doing another city in the UK outside of London, Rome, Venice, Berlin etc. This may be something we just won't ever get but, that's ok.

I don't think it has much to do with the size of the city as much as the culture or feel of the city. The new season is in Key West. Charlotte is just to corporate to work for the Real World however we must be doing something right since we're attracting boatloads of recent college grads. I think the city could eventually land it years and years from now if we continue to see neighborhoods like Plaza-Midwood, NODA, and SouthEnd continue to grow into fun and exciting neighborhoods. For the record I think Charlotte isn't a boring place but I can see why Real World folks would see it that way. I think it all has to do with city branding and Charlotte's brand doesn't mesh with MTV right now, Austin's does. For the record, I don't think San Diego's brand meshed either but SD got it. I haven't watched it in a while and maybe I'm just starting to get too old to enjoy it anymore but I can see other North American and even foreign cities getting it before us. They haven't done DC, Atlanta, Denver, Vancouver, Toronto, and outside of North America they still have options like Sydney, Melbourne, I can see them doing another city in the UK outside of London, Rome, Venice, Berlin etc. This may be something we just won't ever get but, that's ok.

I think Charlotte would be a great Real World location in about 4-5 years when all the construction is complete on the up-&-coming projects (light rail, Epicentre, Bridges of Mint Hill, etc.) The branding of image here is a clash...but if it worked in Austin, Texas then it can definitely work in Charlotte. I'm still disappointed that the next two seasons are in Key West (they already did a Floridian season in Miami - 1995) & Detroit. Cities such as DC, Atlanta, Houston, & Phoenix have DEFINITELY been bypassed for some strange reason.

Well Austin got it. Austin is smaller than Clt I think. A bit more fun/progressive maybe (at least the image is), but smaller.

Charlotte and Austin are relatively the same size, both in terms of municipal and metro populations. Austin obviously got the show because of its reputation as a young, hip, eclectic city. But as far as I know, it is the second smallest city that got the show (after Honolulu).

I think the show is only contracted out for another 5 or 6 years or so. Before it's all said and done with, I definitely think Atlanta and DC will land a season.

Charlotte and Austin are relatively the same size, both in terms of municipal and metro populations. Austin obviously got the show because of its reputation as a young, hip, eclectic city. But as far as I know, it is the second smallest city that got the show (after Honolulu).

I think everyone has forgotten one thing about Austin...it is home to 49,000+ students at the Univeristy of Texas. THAT is the reason they got the Real World. That is roughly the same amount of people that work uptown. Now imagine everyone in a suit uptown is 19, tan, wearing thier AF clothes, and having parties in their frat/soroity house up and down Tryon and Trade.

Now you understand why the Real World choose Austin. Charlotte wouldn't even be considered for another 10 years at least!

Redjeep is entitled to his opinion regarding RW but its symptomatic of the refusal of most Charlotteans to accept anything that is not conformist or conservative in this city. Hopefully this attitude will change as population grows and new innovative projects get completed.

I think everyone has forgotten one thing about Austin...it is home to 49,000+ students at the Univeristy of Texas. THAT is the reason they got the Real World. That is roughly the same amount of people that work uptown. Now imagine everyone in a suit uptown is 19, tan, wearing thier AF clothes, and having parties in their frat/soroity house up and down Tryon and Trade.

Now you understand why the Real World choose Austin. Charlotte wouldn't even be considered for another 10 years at least!

Let's hope it never is if that is the qualification. There are some of us who believe that good city living goes well beyond the pomp and pretense that comes with the made of world of MTV.

Redjeep is entitled to his opinion regarding RW but its symptomatic of the refusal of most Charlotteans to accept anything that is not conformist or conservative in this city. Hopefully this attitude will change as population grows and new innovative projects get completed.

Are you saying we need to conform to your non-conformist views?

I consider this a personal attack which we all know is against the rules here. I could just as easily make a similar statement about people who think the RW has some relevance in the scheme of things, but I won't as it is a quick way to send a thread to the garbage pile. I really recommend that you go and refresh yourself with our rules again before you make any further broad statements about how backwards the people are in Charlotte. This isn't the first thread where you have done this. I won't bother to remind you again in the future.

Archived