Latest on the North Shore connector?

TheGerbil

Last I heard the bids were coming in about 10% over budget, and no one was really saying what this would mean for the fate of the project. Has anybody heard anything since? I am dying to know. I don't want this to die, because then we'll lose that federal money. All arguments about sending light rail to the east end aside, at least this was SOME kind of extension. I want to see it happen and I hate sitting here wondering.

So if anyone knows something, please post here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I heard the bids were coming in about 10% over budget, and no one was really saying what this would mean for the fate of the project. Has anybody heard anything since? I am dying to know. I don't want this to die, because then we'll lose that federal money. All arguments about sending light rail to the east end aside, at least this was SOME kind of extension. I want to see it happen and I hate sitting here wondering.

So if anyone knows something, please post here.

I don't know, but last week it was announced that the 06 Federal budget had money marked for this project.

Yeah the feds have earmarked $$ but there are contingencies, we have to use the money in a certain period of time, all this bidding crap (the project itself not getting off the ground) is wastiing valuable time, and if my facts are still right congress can reappropriate the funds to another city in a year or so. :(

Yeah the feds have earmarked $$ but there are contingencies, we have to use the money in a certain period of time, all this bidding crap (the project itself not getting off the ground) is wastiing valuable time, and if my facts are still right congress can reappropriate the funds to another city in a year or so.

That's true with Federal agencies etc. If they leave money hanging at the end of the year, it gets reappropriated, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) it's not unusual with transportation projects to be a mix of Fed, St, and local funds and not all funded at the same time, meaning that money is commonly on received, but held until there's enough to start the project.

Archived