A Charleston question from a non-native...

redhead

I was browsing Charleston on Google Earth and I was wondering about the waterfront area at the northern terminus of East Battery Street. Could anybody tell me about it? I gather that it is a historic area and prime real estate so it baffles me that the space next to the park would be used as surface parking for boats. Did I just interpret the image incorrectly? Also are there any future plans for this space? Can someone clear up this mystery for me?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are referring to the area on the western side of the pennisula where the Battery, Ashley & Broad street meet, that is a US Coast Guard base. You are very correct in that the land is highly valuable now, but that base was built long ago when that wasn't the case. There was a time when houses in historic Charleston were not worth that much and people would put them up for stakes in card games.

If the Feds gave up the property, it would instantly become a multimillion dollar development.

I believe they are referring to the east side, just below the park at South Adgars Wharf. I'm pretty sure that is a private boat club and that adjacent building is their clubhouse. I don't think any really significant development would be allowed at that location as the famous "Rainbow Row" is right across the street.

Ok, I got confused by northern part as Battery street is further north on the west side. On the east side, which is really East Bay street, you have Battery Park heading north then the Charleston Port Authority. Charleston has two main port facilities, and the one on E. Bay is the older historic one as opposed to the newer one which is further up the river past the bridge.

So to answer that question, the land is again owned by the government and it would otherwise be very valuable if opened to private development.

OK, this area was owned by the Shriners for quite some time. One of the buildings on the property is an old Shriner's Temple which has basically been converted into a waterfront, multi-purpose meeting center. The surface lot is for parking. In addition, the Shriners sold the property to an exclusive club, I believe, and the club has allowed some slips for boat docking. It also has a fishing pier. Right next to this area is a ballpark/playground. It is usually used by DT churches and First Baptist school.

This land has stayed the same since I was born, which is about 32 years. I've never known the land to be any different, so maybe some older people here can remember any differences. :D The Shriners are really the only reason why the land was developed as it is, and since no one has really complained about it, there has been no initiative to redevelop it. Does that help?

Unless I'm looking at the map incorrectly, this area is owned by the Carolina Yacht Club, the second oldest yacht club in America. It basically is a private club, although it has a separate building that they rent out for events. The members are either from the Old Charleston elite, or have a lot of money and friends in the Charleston Elite. Ted Turner's son, for instance, is a prominent member. It's the sort of club that can afford to be located in a prestigious area, and I doubt they've ever seriously considered relocating.

The playground area is seperate from the Yacht Club. It may be a small city park, but I'm not sure. Either way, it is true that the playground has an over-looked quality to it. It's usually empty when I walk by.

Unless I'm looking at the map incorrectly, this area is owned by the Carolina Yacht Club, the second oldest yacht club in America. It basically is a private club, although it has a separate building that they rent out for events. The members are either from the Old Charleston elite, or have a lot of money and friends in the Charleston Elite. Ted Turner's son, for instance, is a prominent member. It's the sort of club that can afford to be located in a prestigious area, and I doubt they've ever seriously considered relocating.

The playground area is seperate from the Yacht Club. It may be a small city park, but I'm not sure. Either way, it is true that the playground has an over-looked quality to it. It's usually empty when I walk by.

^ thats the name of the club I was talking about....thanks

That's right...I knew the Shriners had sold the property to a club, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Carolina Yacht Club does sound familiar. Thanks lsgchas!

• 2 weeks later...

Many women love the city. The ratio of women to men in the College of Charleston is 9 to 1. Come on down, it is a great place to call home! :thumbsup:

Is USC-Columbia's ratio the same or close? 9:1 is a bit tempting to change my mind for a four year school

That must be why so many of my lesbian friends went to C of C. :P

I wouldn't doubt it! :D

I've heard that the ratio fluctuates from 9:1 to 10:1 for female:male ratio. When my college was all-male, that was the place you went to find your potential girlfriend. Go figure, I never met my wife there. My wife came from Lander University in Greenwood!

Archived