Downtown News Coverage

Justin6882

It seems to me the local media (WRAL, TVD, and NCN) all do a pretty good job of covering the revitalization of downtown Raleigh. Even if there isn't a large announcement - like RBC - they still seem to do pieces once a week or every two weeks with just a general update. I think this is extremely important, as this may be the only way people out at Wakefield ever see Downtown and what it has to offer.

What do you guys think...could coverage be better or are they doing a decent job?

Here are a few stories recently (within the past week):

WRAL: Face Of Downtown Raleigh Still Work In Progress

WRAL: Downtown Raleigh Tops $846M In Private Investments

WTVD: Downtown Development Skyrockets

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of News coverage and downtown I'd really love it if one of our local stations had a studio right on the street, kinda like ABC has in New York with the "Good Morning America" studios. A studio where right behind the desks and newscasters would be a view of street-level downtown, maybe a news ticker and a big screen which would show video feeds from the live newscasts with the date and the temperature also displayed. Everyone get the sorta thing I'm talking about? I know WTVD is getting a street-level studio in downtown but I'm talking taking it to the next level.

WRAL was going to put an office in RBC I think... Jim Goodman, owner of Capitol Broadcasting (WRAL, WRAZ), is a champion of DT Raleigh... I believe he contributed money to artwork for the new RCC. I think the coverage is pretty good overall, but I have to agree with the N&O--they seem to put a spin to everything and never take a stand (in editorials)... TTA, RCC, etc.

but I have to agree with the N&O--they seem to put a spin to everything and never take a stand (in editorials)... TTA, RCC, etc.

I have begun to notice too...they are developing a knack for putting inflamatory spin on stories without ever stating a position of their own.

Speaking of News coverage and downtown I'd really love it if one of our local stations had a studio right on the street, kinda like ABC has in New York with the "Good Morning America" studios. A studio where right behind the desks and newscasters would be a view of street-level downtown, maybe a news ticker and a big screen which would show video feeds from the live newscasts with the date and the temperature also displayed. Everyone get the sorta thing I'm talking about? I know WTVD is getting a street-level studio in downtown but I'm talking taking it to the next level.

How does WTVD's studio *not* "take it to the next level"? There isn't a "big screen" but there are smaller screens that show whatever's on tv at the time another one that shows weather radar (which has helped me several times during downtown walks). And there's a ticker that's been going for months, and hopefully won't be obscured by trees along Fayetville Street. They don't use it much now due to construction, but as soon as Fayetville Street opens up, I can see this studio getting a lot of use. They used to have a "newsroom" on top of the old Capital City Club building above China Market at the corner of Martin and Salisbury before the new studio.

How does WTVD's studio *not* "take it to the next level"? There isn't a "big screen" but there are smaller screens that show whatever's on tv at the time another one that shows weather radar (which has helped me several times during downtown walks). And there's a ticker that's been going for months, and hopefully won't be obscured by trees along Fayetville Street. They don't use it much now due to construction, but as soon as Fayetville Street opens up, I can see this studio getting a lot of use. They used to have a "newsroom" on top of the old Capital City Club building above China Market at the corner of Martin and Salisbury before the new studio.

It's always been a good start but it's never quite developed the kinda, I dunno, atmosphere I want. We'll just have to wait and see the end result but somehow I have a feeling it won't quite be what I have in mind.

^ I think that WRAL has had such a stranglehold on the market for so long, it would be hard for any relative newcomer (even though WNCN has been around for 10 years now) to break in and be successful. They do seem to change their news format a lot - I remember when they first started they all stood up and wore sweaters instead of suits. The "Next Generation of News" they called it.

WRAL does a pretty decent job, but they never go into much detail about anything on their broadcast or their website. Whenever something does break, the N&O is usually the first to cover it on their website although it ususally lack depth too. I agree that the N&O does have a knack for spinning things.

I saw WRAL aired a story tonight about the Glenwood South article in the NYTimes...they probably saw the story independantly and got it there, but anyone think maybe someone at WRAL is reading this board? Only the mods know for sure, I guess...

One thing that digs on me every friday is opening up the N&O to the "North Raleigh News" section. How's about a Downtown, or even ITB section on a separate day? Is there that much more going on in North Raleigh?

I was under the impression that North Raleigh News only went out to folks in north raleigh. Is this untrue?

I thought the N&O also had Cary and durham centric mini sections too.

They should have an ITB section....

• 2 weeks later...

I think all the networks are running stories on downtown Raleigh nonstop now. I saw three stories (on the 3 local news networks) on the new art installation for Fayetteville Street in a matter of about 5 minutes. Everyone interviewed seemed pretty happy with the project. They even did a story on downtown Durham redevelopment as well.

Archived