Metro moves to protect historic buildings

smeagolsfree

I think this is a great move on the part of Metro. We all want urban development I think, but not at the cost of our older most prized buildings. You have heard the saying; "They dont build them like that anymore", well I do believe that. There are a few exceptions but for the most part it is true. Just wanted to get the discussion going.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...s&news_id=47821

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think this may be a good way to preserve some of the older homes in the city. There are some really nice older homes that seem to be getting gobbled up by new developments at every corner. There has to be guidelines to keep some of the developers in line. When some people look at the development possibilities they see dollar signs and others see history. I think this is a good start to preservation of our history.

The one area of Nashville I am really concerned about is the area that the Free Will Baptist Bible College owns. I know they are building a new campus and hope those older buildings are not torn down. Maybe some of you all know a little more about the campus, but it is a great neighborhood with a lot of new development encroaching in.

I do think this may be a good way to preserve some of the older homes in the city. There are some really nice older homes that seem to be getting gobbled up by new developments at every corner. There has to be guidelines to keep some of the developers in line. When some people look at the development possibilities they see dollar signs and others see history. I think this is a good start to preservation of our history.

The one area of Nashville I am really concerned about is the area that the Free Will Baptist Bible College owns. I know they are building a new campus and hope those older buildings are not torn down. Maybe some of you all know a little more about the campus, but it is a great neighborhood with a lot of new development encroaching in.

The area around Free Will Baptist is in the Richland/West End Historic Preservation District. Contributing structures (generally, the older buildings) are somewhat protected from demolition. Any new construction must meet design criteria. That area is actually better protected from insensitive development than most parts of Nashville. (However, I don't think that the Historic Preservation overlay applies to the Free Will properties fronting West End Avenue.)

If anything new is built there, I sure hope it does not abut West End like that other project (West End Close?)... Anyway, I can't get used to the break in the sightline as you cruise out WE. Not sure about the architecture either (looks OK). Maybe you guys are used to it by now. Just seems out of place to me.

Archived