ALDOT Traffic cams

jmanhsv

I thought this was interesting....

The Birmingham News reports that traffic cams in Birmingham, Mobile and Tuscaloosa will be available this summer on ALDOT's website, www.dot.state.al.us. I'm sure Huntsville and Montgomery aren't too far behind. Full article

I hope they make the website like Tennessee's SmartWay or Georgia's Navigator.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about darn time they give people ready access to the cameras. The cameras will be streaming cameras too, which means that you will be able to see traffic moving (or not moving, depending on the time of day).

Now let's get the message boards to say something other than "Please Reduce Driving" on ozone alert days.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that ALDOT will mostly have something along the lines of SCDOT cameras page. I don't think anytime in the next 5 years (coincidentally that's how long it took for them to execute this traffic cam website) will they embark on displaying live traffic conditions. The ALDOT has yet to install the fiber optics system to monitor roadway travell speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

^Maybe they'll start cleaning the cameras now that people are looking at them. Or there just hasn't been enough rain lately.

BTW, Mobile will be the next city to be linked to the site, which will probably be later this year, followed by Tuscaloosa and then Huntsville in late 2008/early 2009.

^Maybe they'll start cleaning the cameras now that people are looking at them. Or there just hasn't been enough rain lately.

BTW, Mobile will be the next city to be linked to the site, which will probably be later this year, followed by Tuscaloosa and then Huntsville in late 2008/early 2009.

I did not know that ALDOT had traffic cameras installed in Huntsville. I guess if they have not, they will roll ou the ITS system here soon.

They don't. However, the city has just released their ITS plan. The Huntsville Regional Intelligent Transportation System (HRITS) phase 1 plan includes:

61 Traffic cameras on the Parkway, 53, 72, Governors, and the 565 ramps

10 message signs on 53, 72 East and West, North Parkway, Governors

Speed detectors to determine traffic flow

3 "smart" railroad crossings at Pratt, Meridian, and Oakwood

More smart traffic lights (the ones w/ cameras on them)

a traffic info website

highway advisory radio for the Parkway, possibly for 72 east and west as well

a Traffic Control Center (under construction)

and this is all coming before 2009... the city has long-term plans for:

144 Traffic cameras

34 message signs

170 speed detectors

Incident Response Teams

reversible lanes (HOV, Truck)

expansion of phase 1

Source:

HRITS Plan

Recommended reading: Operations Assessment and Implementation plan and Regional System Inventory (shows locations of cameras and message signs)

They don't. However, the city has just released their ITS plan.

I wonder how much of this the state is reponsible for funding? That will probably determine when it will be built. I am happy that traffic signal improvements are set to begin in 2007.

Archived