Do you prefer VA or NC?

urbanvb

Which do you prefer, NC or VA?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which state do you prefer and please specify why

• North Carolina
    • Virginia

Ok, so I decided to make a new poll. The SC vs VA poll was interesting but I feel NC and VA have a lot more in common. Both states have roughly the same population (NC may be a little larger), both have large metro areas - Charlotte, Raleigh, Hampton Roads, Richmond, Nova/DC. Both have high tech and growing areas (Raleigh and Nova especially) and more importantly both states are connected together, which may even make this more difficult. Both also offer the Atlantic Ocean and the mountains. So, what is your choice? :whistling:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good comparison. I decided to go with Virginia on this one for the urban factor. Richmond reminds me of Charleston (peer cities back in the colonial days), and I really like parts of NoVA (e.g., Ballston). Norfolk is a cool, underrated city with a great downtown. Roanoke is a jewel of a town as well.

I moved to Charlotte from Richmond, and I'd have to say I favor NC. Overall, I think NC is a little less conservative than Va, and I frankly got tired of central Virginia's romance with the Olde Confederacy. The area was too smug for my tastes and not as forward-looking as Charlotte. I think Virginia was appealing as a whole. but NC is better poised to grow and thrive over the next 25 years.

This poll is actually a bit difficult for me which is interesting because I created it. I grew up in a small rural town in NC but never actually lived in a NC city. I have lived in VA Beach now over 10 yrs and now know about city living. I have traveled a little to Raleigh and like it fairly well but I really love Alexandria which is in Nova. It has a lot of charm and Old Town is just a great place - though very expensive to live there. It would be difficult for me to make an informed decision for either state because of this.

I lived in VA for 22 years and, surprisingly, I know little about NC outside of the Outer Banks. I've never been to Raleigh or Charlotte.

So for cities: I only know VA cities, so I cannot say

Beaches: NC

Mountains: I can't say

But one thing that is very important to me is Virginia's connectivity to the Northeast. The fact that you can hop on a train in DC and be in NYC in less than 3 hours wins me over.

I chose North Carolina. The beaches are nice. (Myrtle included because everytime i travel there i see more people from NC then SC or any other bordering state) The mountains are gorgeous and the metros are growing in postive ways. The balanced population throughout the state is great too. I live in Greensboro which is the main destination for people in the bordering counties of VA such pittslyvania,caroll etc.. Danville was a destination for Lotto. Both states are good... VA benefits from a better connection to the North East Corridor though.

Archived