Do you prefer VA or NC?

urbanvb

Which do you prefer, NC or VA?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which state do you prefer and please specify why

• North Carolina
    • Virginia

What's wrong with NC possibly being "more Southern" than VA?

Here we go with some people from VA claiming there is no southern culture present. Trust me I lived there for 4 years and they are just as country as their NC cousins. I think the trend is that it is cool to say you are from the south. I hear it all the time how someone knows someone who moved to NC, SC, GA, FL etc...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in that case - Arlington, Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell, Ashland, Short Pump, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Atlantic, Cape Charles, Williamsburg, FairFax, Alexandria, Crystal City, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Wynesboro, Danville, Winston-Salem, Fredricksburg, Colonial Beach, and Emporia.

How about that.

Were did you live, in the country. I live in Richmond, The Fan.

I'm from the Mid-Atlantic South.

Well in that case - Arlington, Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell, Ashland, Short Pump, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Atlantic, Cape Charles, Williamsburg, FairFax, Alexandria, Crystal City, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Wynesboro, Danville, Winston-Salem, Fredricksburg, Colonial Beach, and Emporia.

How about that.

Were did you live, in the country. I live in Richmond, The Fan.

I'm from the Mid-Atlantic South.

Newport News if that is country enough for ya...I have an uncle in Richmond and visited him many times. Richmond is nice but come on it is just as southern as any city south of DC. Emporia, Suffolk, Danville you can't be serious.........

Well in that case - Arlington, Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell, Ashland, Short Pump, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Atlantic, Cape Charles, Williamsburg, FairFax, Alexandria, Crystal City, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Wynesboro, Danville, Winston-Salem , Fredricksburg, Colonial Beach, and Emporia.

No moravian cookies & krispy kreme for you :P

NC you got to be kiddiung me, And Richmond is not the country I've lived here for 8 years and I'm from New york so what are you talking about, I'm not even counry. And the niegborhoor I live in is mostly Jamaican or Korean.

I know no one was talking about me in particular, just thought I'd point that out. At any rate, as far as "Southern" goes, I think NC and VA are just about even here. As for both states' two largest metros, one is more Southern than the other (Charlotte, Richmond) and the other is home to a lot of transplants (Hampton Roads, the Triangle). The other metros are pretty much Southern (Asheville, with somewhat of a liberal bent).

NC you got to be kiddiung me, And Richmond is not the country I've lived here for 8 years and I'm from New york so what are you talking about, I'm not even counry. And the niegborhoor I live in is mostly Jamaican or Korean.

Could you explain yourself better please? Again, how did Winston-Salem make a Virginia list?

Its just that to some people country is a bad thing, well not realy bad, just don't want to be it.

How is it bad?

Well accually Virginia has 3 large metros RIC/TC, HR, and NOVA.

about all the major cities in virginia are liberal.

I forgot about NOVA, but even it has its conservative tendencies, since the whole area is comprised of DC suburbs.

Also "Southern" doesn't necessarily equal conservative. I made sure to steer clear of that designation, as it opens a whole 'notha can o' worms.

half of it is in Virginia, you didn't know that its a border town?

Thats kind of a stretch. It's metro approaches the border but just barely. I don't think any part of the metro is considered to cross into Virginia though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know no one was talking about me in particular, just thought I'd point that out. At any rate, as far as "Southern" goes, I think NC and VA are just about even here. As for both states' two largest metros, one is more Southern than the other (Charlotte, Richmond) and the other is home to a lot of transplants (Hampton Roads, the Triangle). The other metros are pretty much Southern (Asheville, with somewhat of a liberal bent).

To be fair, Richmond is the 3rd largest metro in Virginia behind Nova/DC (NOVA alone is stil bigger than the Richmond metro by population) and Hampton Roads.

As for the country thing... I looked at it as rural (country) vs. urban and for the most part, Richmond is the latter.

HAHA... NC can keep Winston-Salem, I used to work for Krispy Kreme and I will never work for them again! I'll still buy doughnuts though... But JWCJ, the cities and towns I mentioned were what are some examples of cities left out of this post:

What if u took DC metro, The Triangle, Charlotte, The Hampton Roads-Norfolk Area, Ashville, Wilmington, Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg & The Triad out of the picture. Now which state would pick? HAHAHAHAHA Hard huh!!!

You restated some of them. And I counted Williamsburg along with Hampton Roads, the Tri-Cities with Richmond, no need to mention Crystal City (not really a city) since he mentioned the DC metro. Virginia still has many more places up its sleeve so beware tarheels!

HAHA... NC can keep Winston-Salem, I used to work for Krispy Kreme and I will never work for them again! I'll still buy doughnuts though... But JWCJ, the cities and towns I mentioned were what are some examples of cities left out of this post:

You restated some of them. And I counted Williamsburg along with Hampton Roads, the Tri-Cities with Richmond, no need to mention Crystal City (not really a city) since he mentioned the DC metro. Virginia still has many more places up its sleeve so beware tarheels!

Tri-cities with Richmond?? I thought the tri-cities were Bristol, Johnson City, and the other one. :huh:

Archived