Do you prefer VA or NC?

urbanvb

Which do you prefer, NC or VA?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which state do you prefer and please specify why

• North Carolina
    • Virginia

Well in that case - Arlington, Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell, Ashland, Short Pump, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Atlantic, Cape Charles, Williamsburg, FairFax, Alexandria, Crystal City, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Wynesboro, Danville, Winston-Salem, Fredricksburg, Colonial Beach, and Emporia.

How about that.

Were did you live, in the country. I live in Richmond, The Fan.

I'm from the Mid-Atlantic South.

WTF?? Man, you are off 'yer rockers. As others have said, Winston-Salem is located ENTIRELY within North Carolina. On the other hand, a small portion of the Hampton Roads metro actually extends down into northeastern NC.

And historically speaking Virginia is actually more southern than North Carolina even though it is NC's northern neighbor.......Capital of the Confederacy, seceded before NC, etc. Besides, we all consider ourselves southern here. My mom's family is all from NC, but she was born and raised in Danville. If you want to try to claim Winston-Salem (which you cant), we could certainly claim little 'ole Danville as it sits on the NC-VA border. And I have been there, and let me tell you....that town is as southern as it gets! I like both states quite a bit, so I'm not gonna vote.

Plus, we have a larger population and are growing faster. And we are doing it without the aid of Washington, DC or a large port town. All of our large cities are inland....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opps I said W-S I meant Bristol. Yeah it was in Va in Richmond where I live but, history is not the people, the people are history. That was then this is now. Virginia is not Southern or as southe as NC. bout 45 to 50% of Va's have a northern accent. Virginia cities don't grow as fast because we have independent cities. Charlotte ive been there its like MS. Reighle or whatever is souther i have family there. And for your information virginia is growing faster by outsiders not the same people who have been living here for the past 100 years and having 50 kids. Our population has booms since 2000 and Londoun, Chesterfield, Virginia Beach, Henrico and Fairfax are examples of this.

WTF is a rocker, that must be souther because I've never heard it before on in VA, NY, anywhere north of Petersburg!

Virginia is not as southern we are more mid-atlantic dude!

Many people think southern and backwards as the same thing. To me southern is all about culture, good and bad. If someone holds the door open for you that is southern. If you hear yes mam and no sir that is southern. If you hear good morning, good afternoon, or good evening that is southern. If you go to a restaurante and the menu has collards, blackeye peas, cornbread, and sweet tea that is southern. This is what I think of when I hear southern. Trust me there is alot of southern in both states. I hope we never lose the good parts of being southern.

Opps I said W-S I meant Bristol. Yeah it was in Va in Richmond where I live but, history is not the people, the people are history. That was then this is now. Virginia is not Southern or as southe as NC. bout 45 to 50% of Va's have a northern accent. Virginia cities don't grow as fast because we have independent cities. Charlotte ive been there its like MS. Reighle or whatever is souther i have family there. And for your information virginia is growing faster by outsiders not the same people who have been living here for the past 100 years and having 50 kids. Our population has booms since 2000 and Londoun, Chesterfield, Virginia Beach, Henrico and Fairfax are examples of this.

WTF is a rocker, that must be souther because I've never heard it before on in VA, NY, anywhere north of Petersburg!

Virginia is not as southern we are more mid-atlantic dude!

No offense "dude" but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Most of our population growth is precisely due to transplants moving here.......moreso than Virginia. Charlotte like MS?? You are clueless. About half of Charlotte's population is from NY, NJ, PA. You have CLEARLY not been there. If you had been to Charlotte, you wouldn't have made that ridiculously stupid comment. There are so many people from Buffalo, NY that live in Charlotte, one guy from Buffalo, NY said: "You could call Charlotte 'New Buffalo'". He said this on another website. Charlotte is NOTHING like MS. The native Virginia accent is very southern (except DC).

You must be like 15. :whistling:

Dude I'm not from Buffalo, I'm from Manhattan.

Buffalo is abit country in the first place have you been there? Oh also that's the reason I like going to Buffalo too.

And my cousins are from virginia they sound like they're from Philly, what part of virginia do you go to, the Southwast part (thats the country come to the eastern more urban parts of Virginia.) First of all I also have family that live near Charlotte they have a good country accent.

You must be like 5, 10 somewhere round there, because you must not get around much.

The only real southern part of Va is the southside and the southwest dude. It must be only in the cities of NC is where there is no country accent or culture. Virginia trys to keep that culture and remeber our history back to 1607(Jamestown). We still are the south, DC is the south, Maryland is the South, but that doesn't say that we are all southern like the dirty south. Virginia seems more southern because we love to keep our, how you say "southernisity" around so we can teach our kids and there kids about the bad and the good that happened in this state.

And to me NC is still very southern. I remeber hearing about the KKK still down there a minute ago. Not a very long minute but like a few mouths ago. We don't have that problem anymore.

And to me NC is still very southern. I remeber hearing about the KKK still down there a minute ago. Not a very long minute but like a few mouths ago. We don't have that problem anymore.

Trust me, there are still remnants of the KKK in every Southern state, Virginia being no exception. And although this incident occurred 8 years ago (which is not that long ago in the grand scheme of things), it demonstrates that no matter how many Northern transplants you get, that doesn't sever you from your history.

Im 40 minutes southwest of Manhattan

Buffalo is abit country in the first place have you been there? Oh also that's the reason I like going to Buffalo too.

I have been there. Country? With any city, when you leave teh suburbs, of course its the country. The city of Buffalo IS NOT COUNTRY

And my cousins are from virginia they sound like they're from Philly

You get that mid-atlantic accent between south jersey and tidewater/eastern shore.

The only real southern part of Va is the southside and the southwest dude.

Incorrect. You can still go all the way up to Winchester and still hear & experience southern accents and the southern culture. That is changing though with the DC suburbs pushing further and further out.

It must be only in the cities of NC is where there is no country accent or culture. Virginia trys to keep that culture and remeber our history back to 1607(Jamestown).

Ever heard of Guilford Courthouse (Greensboro), Biltmore Estate (Asheville), Old Salem (Winston-Salem)??

We still are the south, DC is the south, Maryland is the South, but that doesn't say that we are all southern like the dirty south.

Your giving me a headache

I remeber hearing about the KKK still down there [N.C.] a minute ago. Not a very long minute but like a few mouths ago.

Why is this even an issue?

We don't have that problem anymore.

And wheres that? Manhattan? When did the KKK ever stroll through Broadway or 42nd St???

And my cousins are from virginia they sound like they're from Philly, what part of virginia do you go to, the Southwast part (thats the country come to the eastern more urban parts of Virginia.) First of all I also have family that live near Charlotte they have a good country accent.

You must be like 5, 10 somewhere round there, because you must not get around much.

The only real southern part of Va is the southside and the southwest dude. It must be only in the cities of NC is where there is no country accent or culture. Virginia trys to keep that culture and remeber our history back to 1607(Jamestown). We still are the south, DC is the south, Maryland is the South, but that doesn't say that we are all southern like the dirty south. Virginia seems more southern because we love to keep our, how you say "southernisity" around so we can teach our kids and there kids about the bad and the good that happened in this state.

Well, of course we are very southern. I didn't say otherwise. But I did get offended when you said that our population growth was due to the people that have been here for 100 years having 50 kids each. Our growth is mostly due to people moving here from other states.

As far as accents go here is a nice little website for most US states, Canada and the UK:

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?...anguage=english.

Seems to me Virginia's accents are very southern like North Carolina's.

• 2 weeks later...

NC's European history goes back farther than VA's. Ever hear of Roanoke Island?

But I agree with Jerseyman, this whole conversation has become nauseating.

Haha yeah but back then, it was Virginia!

It didn't really help in your case, It was not as country as the people from NC dude.

You are freaking deaf "dude" :rofl:

Listen to the Virginia samples: english 5 (the guy sounds like Dubya), english 15, english 16, english 17, english 18 all sound very country. I'd even go as far as to say they sound MORE country than the NC speakers

North Carolina examples:

English 20, english 44, english 46 (hardly any accent), english 97 (doesn't even sound remotely country).

You are obsessed with accents.

We will let the people decide by the link I gave. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to check your hearing......

• 4 weeks later...

The Wilmington guy had zero detectable accent.

The Winston-Salem woman had some kind of hybrid.

All the Virginia speakers had varying types of southern accent.

I pick North Carolina, but my reasons for liking North Carolina have nothing to do with its Southern accent (or lack thereof). And as neutral as we may think our accents are, I'm sure someone from up north or out west could out us in a second as Southerners.

Archived