Do you prefer VA or NC?

urbanvb

Which do you prefer, NC or VA?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which state do you prefer and please specify why

• North Carolina
    • Virginia

I think a got a grip...lets see history...I think all of you need to thank NC for that...I lived in Hampton Roads and it is nice but really Hampton in a city comparison I'll put High Point on it...there is no equal to Asheville and you guys are still trying to play catch up to the RTP. NOVA and Charlotte are a push. Big sister no way especially when NC outpopulates Va. I'd say more like twins but hey don't hate emulate!!!! :thumbsup:

A bigger population is only a minor part of what makes these two states seem different. Sure, Ill give you Charlotte with all those tall glass buildings, but it wont amount to the cultural and historical background of Richmond. As far as geographical features, Id say we are both and even push when it comes to mountains and beaches. Charlottesville and Roanoke match Asheville and Winston-Salem. As for Raleigh Durham. Id like you to meet Va Beach and Norfolk :D

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a got a grip...lets see history...I think all of you need to thank NC for that...I lived in Hampton Roads and it is nice but really Hampton in a city comparison I'll put High Point on it...there is no equal to Asheville and you guys are still trying to play catch up to the RTP. NOVA and Charlotte are a push. Big sister no way especially when NC outpopulates Va. I'd say more like twins but hey don't hate emulate!!!! :thumbsup:

:rofl: He thinks I'm hatin! You think a got a grip? Are you Canadien? Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the RTP.

Northern VA is traffic riddled and WAYYY TOO EXPENSIVE (Alexandria, Fairfax, etc). I lived there for 5 years when it dawned on me that if I wanted to live in suburbia, I might as well relocate back home to Raleigh/Durham. Less expensive and no where near the traffic hastle. No DC, but it's only a couple hours away for a weekend trip (didn't spend much time in the city anyway...most people in NOVA don't unless they work there or someone is visiting to do the tourist bit...too much of a hastle to get back there once you get home).

I've worked in RTP and NOVA, two different beast as RTP was designed as a concentrated business park (no building structure can be taller than 5 stories) that employees nearly 40,000 people in 100's of office bldgs nestled in pine trees (can't see most of them without access).

NOVA is the product of government contractors lined up along the beltway ("beltway bandits" as commonly known) with no form of concentration (you can throw a rock through any office bldg window and nail a retired general or colonel.....ties to the pentagon to leverage military related contracts). Probably x00,000 thousand of workers (Not just VA but all around the Beltway into MD). As for Fairfax, Vienna and Reston, they forked up with the Orange Line ending in Vienna (I-66 traffic is miserable hopefully they with extend the metro out to loudon county).

NOVA is very ethnically diverse with ABSOLUTELY some of the best shopping destinations in the south (pentagon city, crystal city, tysons corner, etc), however, NC is catching up with a quickness.

Both VA and NC have tons of history (VA wins hands down). From a business climate perspective, NC is more diverse as NOVA and the tidewater area are heavily government/military dependent and probably the reason why NC is growing at a quicker pace (although NOVA's growth is throught the roof).

My favorite part of trip from Durham to DC is the Richmond skyline. It's not very "tall" relatively speaking in terms of big cities (tall for Durham), but very balanced with bldgs that seem appropriately placed.

Both NC and VA are too similar in geographics to detect many differences.

I would not classify either as one's little sister or brother....definitely a push with DC being the X-factor. By the way, don't forget about Annapolis and Baltimore being within an hour or so drive from NOVA....very nice places.

Wow! That little sister comment sure hit a nerve. Sorry for any negative vibe. I live so close to the NC line that the state has always seemed a part of the family. I have been through many urban areas of both states and that is just my opinion.

Wow! That little sister comment sure hit a nerve. Sorry for any negative vibe. I live so close to the NC line that the state has always seemed a part of the family. I have been through many urban areas of both states and that is just my opinion.

What urban centers have you been to living in the southeastern part of VA...There is not that much urbanity in northeast NC.

What urban centers have you been to living in the southeastern part of VA...There is not that much urbanity in northeast NC.

I think he must be talking about the Hampton Roads Metro. Which is Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Chesapeake and Newport News :thumbsup:

For me, it depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about natural and scenic beauty, I think NC wins hands down. We have a much larger coast line with barrier islands and the mountains in the west.

When it comes to cities, I think VA has the slight edge, especially with NoVa. Cities like Richmond, Norfolk, Williamsburg, and Alexandria have a lot historic charm to them, that I just don't see much of in NC's cities. I think VA is more progressive with planning. Many of the counties around Virginia limit sprawly development by either restricting the number of new housing permits, creating growth boundaries with large lot zoning (good example, Loudoun County), and creating TOD around transit stations. Although, I think both states have problems with sprawl, I think it's far worse in NC. It's like the developers get whatever they want. The University Area in Charlotte is really oversaturated with apartment complexes and strip malls, and it's taking a hit on property values in that area. Property values in VA (and not just NoVa) are much higher because of the restrictions on growth.

VDOT has HOV lanes w/ state maintained commuter lots, toll roads, commuter train, heavy rail (shared with DC), a planned light rail in Hampton Roads, and overall better quality roads (IMO). I won't even get started on NCDOT's botched job of I-77/I-85 interchange and I-485 in South Charlotte.

In terms of attracting more businesses and more economic growth, I think NC's doing a better job, and actually managed to do it without relying on a major port like Hampton Roads or being in close proximity to DC.

As to which one I prefer, umm, that's a hard decision, because I have two favorite metros in each state, Charlotte and NoVa. :shades:

VDOT has HOV lanes w/ state maintained commuter lots, toll roads, commuter train, heavy rail (shared with DC), a planned light rail in Hampton Roads, and overall better quality roads (IMO). I won't even get started on NCDOT's botched job of I-77/I-85 interchange and I-485 in South Charlotte.

HOV lanes are along I-77 in Charlotte.

For one thing, NCDOT is way better than VDOT on secondary 2 lane roads. NCDOT secondaries are wider, few curves and posted at higher speed limits, they are just about given teh same treatment as the numbered state highways. VDOT secondaries are narrow/barely fit two cars (lot of the times with no PAINT markings), curves you have to slow down and the speed limits are posted generally at 45mph. Otherwise, the DOT's are almost neck to neck with each other on quality.

Mass transit, VA wins by a landslide over NC at this time. Eventually, NC will catch up.

^ Yeah, but that's only on one stretch, Virginia had HOV lanes long before NC in both NoVa and Hampton Roads, as well as toll roads, which NC is now getting also. I agree though, about the secondary state roads. NCDOT does a better job of maintaing them.

I'm not sure about mass transit, I hope NC does catch up, but recently, I believe the rail system in the Triangle got rejected for federal funding.

:huh: My car goes farther than just northeast NC! I've been through Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Greensboro, and Elizabeth city. In Virginia, I have visited just about every urban city.

^ Yeah, but that's only on one stretch, Virginia had HOV lanes long before NC in both NoVa and Hampton Roads, as well as toll roads, which NC is now getting also. I agree though, about the secondary state roads. NCDOT does a better job of maintaing them.

I'm not sure about mass transit, I hope NC does catch up, but recently, I believe the rail system in the Triangle got rejected for federal funding.

Charlotte is getting light rail, and so is Norfolk.

Nova has the Metro and VRE commuter rail, which are set for expansions in coming years. I know of no commuter rail service in NC (please point out some if there are).

Overall both states are nearly entirely auto-dependent.

What if u took DC metro, The Triangle, Charlotte, The Hampton Roads-Norfolk Area, Ashville, Wilmington, Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg & The Triad out of the picture. Now which state would pick? HAHAHAHAHA Hard huh!!!

That would be ridiculous! Then theyd just be the same :rofl:

What if u took DC metro, The Triangle, Charlotte, The Hampton Roads-Norfolk Area, Ashville, Wilmington, Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg & The Triad out of the picture. Now which state would pick? HAHAHAHAHA Hard huh!!!

Either West Virginia Or South Carolina. :D

I'd still pick Virginia because you forgot Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Buena Vista, Bristol, Danville, Fredericksburg, Orange, Gordonsville, Mineral, Luray, Emporia, Blackstone, Chincoteague, Farmville, Tangier Island, the Northern Neck, heck, even Norton!

I'd still pick Virginia because you forgot Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Staunton, Buena Vista, Bristol, Danville, Fredericksburg, Orange, Gordonsville, Mineral, Luray, Emporia, Blackstone, Chincoteague, Farmville, Tangier Island, the Northern Neck, heck, even Norton!

Well in that case I'd say Hickory, Concord, Boone, Elizabeth City, Nags Head, New Bern, Manteo, Hatteras Island, Bald Head Island, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Greenville, Lexington, Roanoke Rapids and even Jacksonville!!!

Archived