Maryland Suburbs

tombarnes

Doughoregan Manor

The seat of the Carroll family is endangered by the encroachment of suburban development. Sadly, the Carroll family is caught between the temptations of $$$ and their love of the magnificent estate. Is it fair to ask the state to pay more money to prevent the land from being chopped up into McMansion lots? The money issues make this a particularly thorny issue, but the place ought to be preserved as best it can. Once it has been carved away, there's no replacing the lost land. Article from the Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doughoregan Manor

The seat of the Carroll family is endangered by the encroachment of suburban development. Sadly, the Carroll family is caught between the temptations of $$$ and their love of the magnificent estate. Is it fair to ask the state to pay more money to prevent the land from being chopped up into McMansion lots? The money issues make this a particularly thorny issue, but the place ought to be preserved as best it can. Once it has been carved away, there's no replacing the lost land. Article from the Washington Post

It is very expensive to restore and mantain an 18th Century Mansion, even if you are descendents of one of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence. I am certain that some type of compromise will be arrived at. If they can use the right combination of current parkland, newly created parkland, and McMansion lots; the growth into Western Howard County can be limited and maybe more open space can be mantained. Since the Carroll's are very sensitive about their privacy. I am certain that they want to mantain as much of a buffer as they can. It is amazing that it hadn't been lost before now.

• 1 month later...

And just why is it that I should care about the need of a faded plantation family to preserve an undeveloped view from their ancestral manse? The perils of the rich... such a concern. If they want somebody to help them they should do as other planters in the area (Ridgelys and the other branch of the Carrolls) and donate the house to be a museum.

And just why is it that I should care about the need of a faded plantation family to preserve an undeveloped view from their ancestral manse? The perils of the rich... such a concern. If they want somebody to help them they should do as other planters in the area (Ridgelys and the other branch of the Carrolls) and donate the house to be a museum.

Because history is worth preserving. The McMansions built there will be slums in twenty years.

• 2 weeks later...

Because history is worth preserving. The McMansions built there will be slums in twenty years.

I'm fine with having it as a museum, just not subsidising the lifestyles of the rich. In spite of my own humble beginnings, I knew members of the Ridgely and Carroll family growing up and they basically ran into the same problem that the generations had spent the money and left them unable to support to support a huge property. The solution was to donate the property. Both properties (Hampton and Mt Claire) are now well preserved.

Crown Farm project moves forward in Mont. Co.

Developers of a $1 billion large-scale community in Montgomery County cleared another hurdle Tuesday.

The Montgomery County Council agreed to give Gaithersburg permission to annex the 180-acre Crown Farm property, where a group of developers wants to build 2,250 residential units, 320,000 square feet of retail space and a high school.

story

Lots of construction going on in MD. :)

Developers to break ground on University Town Center

Developers and Prince George's County officials will join together April 24 to break ground on University Town Center, a massive mixed-use project in Hyattsville.

Once completed, University Town Center, which is near the Prince George's Plaza Metro station, will include a 14-screen movie theater, a 57,000-square-foot Safeway, nearly 1 million square feet of office space, 1,760 residential units and 360,000 square feet of retail.

story

• 1 year later...

Doughoregan Manor- Retirement Home on Site?

A possible solution may have been reached with the problem of Doughoregan Manor, the vast estate of the Carroll family in Howard County. The family has reached a tentative agreement with a firm which plans to develop a life-care complex on part of the site, leaving the majority of it untouched. This solution is far better than fields of tract housing. While it is unfortunate to see any part of this magnificent estate compromised, this is the lesser evil. I hope that this may go through, if it assures the protection of the remainder of the property.

The Washington Post

question to the md guys... whats up with the purple line?? will it get built? same with the HOT lanes.. yes? no? i hope we can get the entire beltway on board with metro and HOT lanes!!

btw, looks like gaithursburg is getting a new 25 storier! that will be the tallest building in the DC outskirts in MD! congrats!! :lol:

I would love to see renderings of these buildings. The White Flint area has a lot of potential. The area has some density, but there is much room for growth. I have heard that the Twinbrook metro station will soon be getting a large development of residential/retail buildings.

Archived