News & Observer mixed-use project

GARNET&BLACK

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is great news!

can't wait to see renderings. 140,000 square feet on that site could mean a building as tall as 10 or 12 stories, depending on the design & configuration.

One slightly disappointing bit is that it looks like the County plans to take down the funky 60's building as part of its plans (which I don't really mind all that much, but I know others on the board like that bldg). A pair of buildings at 6 and 9 stories is great, but I really wish they'd just stack them up and create a 15-story landmark building on the parking deck site.

Also, looks like we'll get yet another parking deck on the convention center end of downtown. Looks like the intent is to keep some street-level activity and/or mix it up with other uses- hope that comes through; it would be even better if all those parking spaces were completely integrated within the interior of other uses (condos, office, etc.)

Awesome news. I'm glad to see the parking deck just won't be a parking deck. Condos and retail will help that area out a lot, as I don't believe there are any condo projects near the Convention Center (Park Deveraux would be the closest).

Also good to see the News&Observer ramping up their presence downtown. Their lot across from Nash Square would be prime real estate for condos if you ask me...Nasy Square really is beautiful, I think it might actually be one of the nicest places downtown, much better than Moore Square at least. What were they thinking using asphault as the sidewalks??

...good to see the News&Observer ramping up their presence downtown.  Their lot across from Nash Square would be prime real estate for condos if you ask me...Nash Square really is beautiful, I think it might actually be one of the nicest places downtown, much better than Moore Square at least...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agreed!

Hey, N&O guys, how about topping your office project with some condo units? Ground-level retail would be perfect at that location, too. Really bring the square to life!

Over looking Nash square...hmmm, that seems to be a great spot for some condos over or next to N&O office space. That would really take advantage of the nice view a la Park Devereaux and the 7-story project next to the Dawson. I could see the south part of Nash Square being redeveloped after this area takes off.

Count me as one of those opposed to the demolition of the Garland Jones building.  I like progress like the next guy, but I'm afraid we'll be stuck with a non-descript building that has none of the character of the building that it is replacing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto

Over looking Nash square...hmmm, that seems to be a great spot for some condos over or next to N&O office space.  That would really take advantage of the nice view a la Park Devereaux and the 7-story project next to the Dawson.  I could see the south part of Nash Square being redeveloped after this area takes off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With you all the way, JoJo. Bring it on!

of all the articles over the years I have read about Raleigh, this article (and the first article about the Carolina Hurricanes coming to Raleigh) sent chills up my spine. Not sure why? This article shows not only city and small private developers investment, it shows investment by a larger international business like RBC. It also shows county government (wake) and large out of state business ownership (N&O).

But the biggest benefit and the most important task to make Fay St. work, (outside of development on the street) is there must be a connection between the warehouse/Depot district and Fayetteville Street.

So when this N&O/Wake Co buildings are completed along with the convention center, the

• 4 months later...

I still don't understand the courthouse project. Are they planning on tearing down the old Wake County Courthouse. How would they do that? Where would you hold court in the interim? Sounds very fictional to me unless they build a new one on another location off of Fayetteville St.

Here’s a link a WRAL story on the proposed new courthouse addition.

WRAL story

Here are a couple of photos of models showing the proposal.

This first photo shows the current Wake county safety center (jail) on the left, the current courthouse on the right with Salisbury Street running in between. The new courthouse is in the middle.

large.jpg

This photo shows the safety center front and center with the new building to the left, which would put a parking deck cattycornered to Nash square. (Boo)

56191900.jpg

I don't like the design. If you take a look at the first picture, it looks like an out of place 6-story office building stuck in front of the new courthouse. Why not integrate the two and make it taller with a more prominent facade and entry plaza?

I also do not like the location of the parking deck. It looks horrible facing Nash Square. I would say put it underground, but there may be security reasons behind that. If anything, they should construct additional parking levels behind the detention center and put that out of place office building on the backside.

I don't like the design. If you take a look at the first picture, it looks like an out of place 6-story office building stuck in front of the new courthouse. Why not integrate the two and make it taller with a more prominent facade and entry plaza?

I also do not like the location of the parking deck. It looks horrible facing Nash Square. I would say put it underground, but there may be security reasons behind that. If anything, they should construct additional parking levels behind the detention center and put that out of place office building on the backside.

I agree; what a waste of public open space to have a parking deck fronting on a park like that.

I say build retail on the Nash square side at street level, and then build the courthouse as a wrap-around with an interior parking deck, whether its underground or not. Also, it should be combined with the ROD and other office space to push it up a few mor stories. Something with a dome on the top like good public buildings oughta be.

The current plan is uninspired and detrimental to downtown revitilization efforts. Booooooo.

WOW!! what a terrible addition that will be.... No architectural innovation, coupled with a parking deck facing Nash Square.. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Raleigh will not propose buildings that will beautify the space they occupy.. isn't that what the architect's job is? The design looks like a 1980's hospital in suburbia.... Whenever I see renderings of courthouses in other locales (i.e. Greensboro, Orlando,

Charlotte) the design far outdoes this, is that b/c they are Federal Courthouses built with federal funds? If it wasn't for the desperate need for space I would say delay this project as long as humanly possible....

WOW!! what a terrible addition that will be.... No architectural innovation, coupled with a parking deck facing Nash Square.. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Raleigh will not propose buildings that will beautify the space they occupy.. isn't that what the architect's job is? The design looks like a 1980's hospital in suburbia.... Whenever I see renderings of courthouses in other locales (i.e. Greensboro, Orlando,

Charlotte) the design far outdoes this, is that b/c they are Federal Courthouses built with federal funds? If it wasn't for the desperate need for space I would say delay this project as long as humanly possible....

Agreed. Totally uninspired architecturally speaking. I agree that a dome of something more "classic" in design would be more fitting. The current courthouse is horrendous. Orlando's courthouse is really nice and I haven't seen Charlotte's or Greensboro's. Afterall, we are the state capital and in my opinion, government facility should be made to last and not go out of style. Maybe they will put more thought into it.

This isn't so terrible. The Old Courthouse could be knocked down and replaced with a tower much more befitting of that space on Fayetteville street. Currently it's just another box. And while the new Courthouse lacks anything urban whatsoever about it, at least it has good windows.

Archived