News & Observer mixed-use project

GARNET&BLACK

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, the N&O is not that bad of a paper. I am a 7-day a week subscriber and have to get my dose of newspaper every morning. They do a pretty good job talking about downtown developments for the most part. The only thing that sticks out in my mind is the week long series on the the anti-TTA campaign. Other than that, they do get some off the wall, bonehead responses from individuals opposing downtown projects giving off a feel of negativity.

I do think that the N&O comments about downtown being the heart of the community and their intentions of rebuilding down there does speak volumes. I think DwnTwnRaleighGuy put it best regarding the controversy. They can't be one-sided or they would lose readership. They are a business afterall...

• 3 weeks later...

On the new Justice Center... RFPs were out and design teams are being assembled on the project as we speak (my friend is in construction). It's going to be 450k sf and over $200M.

Here's a link to the item with a schedule at the bottom.

I bet the new Justice Center is going to be an ugly box, just like they showed in the first renderings? :(

I bet the new Justice Center is going to be an ugly box, just like they showed in the first renderings? :(

Don't get too down on it just yet. There was a presentation link provided above and it doesn't look like they are going to finalize any design until 2008 or later with completion in 2013. I would like to see this sped up a bit given the overcrowding at the current courthouse. Anyways, this area will be drastically different in the next few years and they may have to think bigger by then.

Don't get too down on it just yet. There was a presentation link provided above and it doesn't look like they are going to finalize any design until 2008 or later with completion in 2013. I would like to see this sped up a bit given the overcrowding at the current courthouse. Anyways, this area will be drastically different in the next few years and they may have to think bigger by then.

Agreed! :D

Just writing without thinking to much, sorry!

Also, what do you think about the fact that the county is updating there currect building on Fay. St. and not adding to it? They say that they wanted just to add another building just like they did in Charlotte. Wouldn't it be cool if they would totally renovate the current building,(esp since it's on F.ST.), and add maybe 10+ more floors? Maybe something like the courthouse in Los Angeles, really cool! :thumbsup:

Agreed! :D

Just writing without thinking to much, sorry!

Also, what do you think about the fact that the county is updating there currect building on Fay. St. and not adding to it? They say that they wanted just to add another building just like they did in Charlotte. Wouldn't it be cool if they would totally renovate the current building,(esp since it's on F.ST.), and add maybe 10+ more floors? Maybe something like the courthouse in Los Angeles, really cool! :thumbsup:

I'd rather see them build the new building and look to completely raze the old building and build anew in the next 10-20 years. The old building is not worth adding onto and the new annex is desperately needed now. I still would like them to build larger than 9 floors as they are currently discussing. They said that the 9 floors would still be the height of the current courthouse though due to higher ceilings.

Even better would be to build a completely new structure to house everything and sell the land on Fayetteville Street. I'm sure it would attract a buyer in no time. Probably not in the budget though.

Does anybody know how large, square-footage wise, the current courthouse is. I'm trying to imagine how much larger the new judicial center will be

Not sure but I just read this and it calling for the new courthouse to be 340,000 square feet and an administrative building should be constructed next to it with 100,000 square feet of space. Maybe they will lump the two together?

I'd rather see them build the new building and look to completely raze the old building and build anew in the next 10-20 years. The old building is not worth adding onto and the new annex is desperately needed now. I still would like them to build larger than 9 floors as they are currently discussing. They said that the 9 floors would still be the height of the current courthouse though due to higher ceilings.

Even better would be to build a completely new structure to house everything and sell the land on Fayetteville Street. I'm sure it would attract a buyer in no time. Probably not in the budget though.

The site of the County Courthouse was given to the County by the Gales family I think (have to look up the family again). The County may not ever sell it or it reverts to the families descendants.

The site of the County Courthouse was given to the County by the Gales family I think (have to look up the family again). The County may not ever sell it or it reverts to the families descendants.

I actually think it was the Bloodworth family (iirc) and it was stipulated that the site must always be used as a courthouse, or the land must be reverted back to his heirs.

Does it preclude eminent domain, or NC auctioning the property off? Or is it an unwritten agreement?

I am not sure if one government body can invoke eminent domain over another....NC does not own the property so I am not sure what you mean by them auctioning it off.....I would assume this was a condition of the title transfer possibly with a court as witness instead of a modern day notary.....I read a similar title and court order that applied to a cemetary in what is now Wakefield Subdivision that said the cemetary was to forever remain in the John Martin family(from the 1740's...documents dated to teh early 1800's.....that of course did not stop its removal, I think because I was one of only two people that knew about that particular document....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

McClatchey Interactive/Digital/whatever is housed in the Pilot Mill north of Capitol Park/Halifax Court. They are moving to Raleigh because it is cheaper here vs. San Jose and McClatchy bought out Knight-Ridder, and to the victor go the spoils. I worked there (then NandO.net) when they were based in the building on the southeast corner of Hargett and McDowell. Most west coasters quit to stay put in San Jose, so McClatchy may do some hiring to make up for the losses.... No one has called me yet though LOL.

I don't know if they would move back downtown to the "new" N&O offices down the road, or just expand where they are.

Archived