Bush Administration to Sell off NC National Forests

monsoon

In an effort to make a little money to counter the huge spending and resulting budget deficits of the the Bush Administration, the 2007 Bush Budget includes a provision to sell off our national forest land to private development. In North Carolina the proposal so far is:

• Croatan National Forest - 895 acres

• Uwharrie National Forest - 2,317 acres

• Pisgah National Forest - 2,780 acres (unknown how much of this is on the Blueridge Parkway)

• Nantahala National Forest - 3,835 acres

The total selloff, all states, is supposed to net the federal government $800M dollars. To put this number in perspective this is about 3 days of federal spending in Iraq. And keep in mind, there are $300M in Fema trailers sitting unused and sinking into the mud that were purchased for Katrina victims. These trailers will be a total loss.

I personally consider this an outrage and is another example of a corrupt Republican government taking away from the public sector to enrich private individuals. And also the failed economic policy of this admistration.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sky is not falling... yet!

On Feb. 28th the US Forest Service will publish maps showing just where these parcels are. Everybody needs to ask questions about this potential sell off. Will the monies from the sale of these lands go directly to the Secure Rural Schools Program or will it go to the general fund?

Who cares about the Croatan? It's nothing but those unnatural tooth pick looking pine trees anyway. That forest had to have been cleared in the past. It's ugly and not real...I lived there...I know

Natural or virgin forests consist of predominately hardwoods

I do not know anything about the other forests...but if they are hardwood I am against any destruction. But I hate Pine trees and have no problem if they cleared all of them.

Who cares about the Croatan? It's nothing but those unnatural tooth pick looking pine trees anyway. That forest had to have been cleared in the past. It's ugly and not real...I lived there...I know

I do not know anything about the other forests...but if they are hardwood I am against any destruction. But I hate Pine trees and have no problem if they cleared all of them.

What about the spruce firs on top of Mt Mitchell, or any other tall mountain in the Pisgah/Nantahala forests? (Well, Mt Mitchell is protected by the state, so I guess it'll be fine anyway). This is not good news. The state should step in and rebuy whatever they sell, if this gets through Congress.

What about the spruce firs on top of Mt Mitchell, or any other tall mountain in the Pisgah/Nantahala forests? (Well, Mt Mitchell is protected by the state, so I guess it'll be fine anyway). This is not good news. The state should step in and rebuy whatever they sell, if this gets through Congress.

Isn't Mt. Mitchell already completely scarred by acid rain that gets blown in from Atlanta and points west? Where is NC's Congressional representation on Bush's proposal? Are Senators Dole and Burr and Congressmen/women like Foxx being Republican lapdogs or are they putting the interests of the state first?

[*]Croatan National Forest - 895 acres

[*]Uwharrie National Forest - 2,317 acres

[*]Pisgah National Forest - 2,780 acres (unknown how much of this is on the Blueridge Parkway)

[*]Nantahala National Forest - 3,835 acres.

All of the forests do not need to be clearcutted and open to developers! Its protected land for generations to enjoy open space.

I am against the destruction of the other forests mentioned.

It's the Croatan I don't like. The Forest is made up of either White Pines or Loblolly Pines. The Forest has been cleared and then replanted in tight almost organized lines. For that reason the trees are very skinny because they did not have much room to grow. The entire area is like that.

So lets talk about the Croatan for a second. It's located in eastern Craven, eastern Jones, and Western Carteret Counties. I understand that we need to protect our wildlife. But the proposal only calls for the destruction of part of the forest anyway. (it's already been deystoyed in the past anyway)

What if this area was turned into something really nice....like a Hilton Head or something. That would be really cool. If they deystroy it for the typical subdivision and trailor park..then I am against it. I wonder if part of this will be so they can run the HWY 70 bypass through there?

I know there is not much water around the forest...so a Hilton Head type of thing is not likely, but the opportunities are endless and eastern NC is already Rural and the coast needs something really nice.

Again, I am against any destruction of the forests in the central or western part of the state. They are mainly hardwoods or evergreens such as Furs. I am against any destruction of Hardwood forests especially.

North Carolinas virgin forest from approximately U.S. 401 east was almost 100% Long Leaf Pine. It is fire resistant and loves sandy soil so natural wild fires overs thousands of years left only the long leaf. There happens to be a few stands of virgin long leaf left one of which is in the CNF.

My guess on how what sections of forest were selected for sell off is directly related to various donor contributions...but what do I know?

Isn't Mt. Mitchell already completely scarred by acid rain that gets blown in from Atlanta and points west? Where is NC's Congressional representation on Bush's proposal? Are Senators Dole and Burr and Congressmen/women like Foxx being Republican lapdogs or are they putting the interests of the state first?

Mt. Mitchell's pines mostly regrew. There are a couple patches with some dead trees, but the majority of the summit is pretty well covered now. Clingman's Dome, Black Balsam, Roan High, and the other tall peaks have the same situation basically. Dole and Burr never represented the interests of NC anyway. They would eagerly support this. I'm completely positive of that.

I've been alternately amazed and discouraged at the ineptitude of our administration for the last 5 years. Even if they were just selling off isolated "islands" outside the core forest, it would be yet another public relations blunder.

The problem with the current administration, is they never get any "wind". Normally this is the kind of thing you dish out when public approval is higher.

Generally speaking, national forests aren't clear-cut. Being national forests tends to prevent them from getting clear-cut. If we set a political precedent for it however, whenever we're in a pinch, we'll find that that protection means nothing.

This is only going to lead to more land to use poorly with sprawl, so even if they had been clear-cut, I would oppose selling the land on principle for economic purposes.

We need more pristine lands! I'm sick of this.

Bush needs to get the hell out of office before the world goes to hell. wait! It allready has because of him!

I can't stand to see beautiful lands turn into these sick tract housing for overpaid rich people with thier too many spolit kids running around and damaging people's cars (they did this to mine) We need pristine beautiful lands to keep our sanity. I hate seeing nice ares become tract housing for families that are too big, and shopping centers that have useless crap like 5 nail salons, 10 resteraunts and useless junk.

Bush is at fault for most of the crap that's going on. and he cant even say nuclear right! I don't know how the people voted for that crackhead of a president. Just becuase he was against abortion and crap like that and he was a gun toting hillbilly! grr I blame ohio for this again!

I am also sick of him blowing our money or Iraq! I think we shouldnt interfere with other countries and we should focus on US! Focus on making this country great and strong instead of blowin it on other countries!

Bush makes me sick and I hope the revolts happen to get him outta office and get someone in there with brains!

Archived