Hartford #3 Market Nationally for Major League Sports Expansion

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connecticut is ranked #1 (or #2 fightning with NJ) in household income per capita. You will certainly find many interested season ticket holders of all price ranges to meet the minimum to win over a sports team in comparison to many other metro areas in the country. The downside to Hartford and the rest of Connecticut is that its not a sunbelt state seeing a surge in population gains and new development. This is why you see a lot of new professional teams of all sports relocating/expanding to the southern half of the USA.

thats good news, however I don't really see any sports leagues expanding anytime soon.

Well, we're really eyeing teams ripe for relocation at this point, because you are right the leagues will not be expanding for a while. We are looking for undersupported teams in markets that may be 1) oversaturated or 2) just not offer the right fit for the sport e.g. Hockey in many of the Southern markets

Well, we're really eyeing teams ripe for relocation at this point, because you are right the leagues will not be expanding for a while. We are looking for undersupported teams in markets that may be 1) oversaturated or 2) just not offer the right fit for the sport e.g. Hockey in many of the Southern markets

funny, considering the whalers moved south... maybe you'll get them back?

although i don't know if i see a NHL team coming in while you still have the wolfpack... are there any other cities like this that have both?

Well, the Wolf Pack would relocate. MSG already said they'd step aside if the NHL came back to town. Besides, rumor has it they'll be gone next year anyways, since all the recent Whalers talk lately, no one really cares about the Wolf Pack anymore. And yes, there are some cities with both NHL and AHL, Philly, Chicago, and Toronto come to mind, though Hartford would not be like those cities...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Wolf Pack would relocate. MSG already said they'd step aside if the NHL came back to town. Besides, rumor has it they'll be gone next year anyways, since all the recent Whalers talk lately, no one really cares about the Wolf Pack anymore. And yes, there are some cities with both NHL and AHL, Philly, Chicago, and Toronto come to mind, though Hartford would not be like those cities...

The WolfPack might be leaving town next year? I would rather the NHL come back first before they depart just to keep some kind of hockey going in town as I do frequent some WolfPack games every year.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you guys, Larry Gottesdeiner the head of Northland Investments, wants to buy either an NHL or NBA team with the plan of moving them to Hartford once a new arena is built. I'm not out to steal anyone's team, but if it has to happen so be it.

Developer Hints at Moving NHL's Penguins to Hartford

April 7, 2006, 02:11 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A Massachusetts developer wants to buy the Penguins and either keep the hockey team in the city or move them to Hartford where he is trying to get state officials to build a new arena, according to media reports.

Lawrence Gottesdiener told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he owns a great deal of property in Hartford, so moving the team there makes sense for him.

WFSB Story

Hartford suitor ready to woo Penguins

Pittsburgh slots

Click here for complete coverage

Tools Print this article

E-mail this article

Subscribe to this paper

Larger / Smaller Text

By Andrew Conte

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, April 7, 2006

Penguins fans could have something new to worry about.

First it was Kansas City, and now it's Hartford, Conn., that wants the team if it can't get a new arena in Pittsburgh.

Lawrence Gottesdiener, CEO of Massachusetts-based real estate developer Northland Investment Corp., said Thursday he's looking to buy the Penguins, either to keep them in Pittsburgh with a new arena -- or move them to Hartford, where he is lobbying state officials to build an arena.

Pittsburgh Tribune Review Article

Archived