Bush Administration to Sell off SC National Forests

monsoon

In an effort to make a little money to counter the huge spending and resulting budget deficits of the the Bush Administration, the 2007 Bush Budget includes a provision to sell off our national forest land to private development. In Sorth Carolina the proposal so far is:

• Sumter National Forest - 3,569 acres

• Francis Marion National Forest - 1,095 acres

The total selloff, all states, is supposed to net the federal government $800M dollars. To put this number in perspective this is about 3 days of federal spending in Iraq. And keep in mind, there are $300M in Fema trailers sitting unused and sinking into the mud that were purchased for Katrina victims. These trailers will be a total loss.

This sell-off will hurt SC plans to link together various state and national forest land into continuous tracts across the state. My guess is that most of this pristine land will be converted to more sprawl.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible, horrible, horrible plan. This is why I voted for Kerry. Also, this doesn't really involve this but why do people drive SUV's if they are gas hogs. I mean why would you pay more for a SUV that uses more gas than a car? People in Europe and Canada don't drive SUV's because they are smart. This is why I own a Toyota Prius and I am proud of it. :)

ANYBODY BUT BUSH!!!! NO MORE BLOOD FOR OIL!!!! :)

People in Europe and Canada don't drive SUV's because they are smart.

Comparing the US to Europe is like comparing apples and oranges. There's completely different lifestyles going on across the ocean. SUV's aren't a good idea over there number one because their streets are narrower. They have high speed rail to get places with a much better passenger rail system in general. They don't have the need to travel in their cars with luggage... I hardly think it's fair to call Americans stupid.

Thats not in South Carolina. You may be thinking of Sandhills State Forest?

You are correct, that was a typo on my part which has been corrected. It is the Francis Marion National forest where the land will be sold off. A horrible plan given the already bad development that runs from the NC Border down past Charleston.

The budget still has to be approved, so it can still change. Hopefully our representatives will recognize this is a bad thing and remove this portion of the bill.

I am a fan of using creative alternate funding, but I think they can do better than selling off our national forests. I am usually defensive of Bush, but when it comes to environmental issues like this that seem pretty clear cut to me, I have to question his motives here.

All in the name of what? Making up for something that was cut from the federal budget in order to curb spending by an administration whose superfluous spending is out of control... I guess we now know the definition of "sound fiscal policy" that is taught at Yale and Harvard.

'Tis a great legacy that W is leaving behind. Teddy Roosevelt is rolling over in his grave.

:angry:

All in the name of what? Making up for something that was cut from the federal budget in order to curb spending by an administration whose superfluous spending is out of control... I guess we now know the definition of "sound fiscal policy" that is taught at Yale and Harvard.

'Tis a great legacy that W is leaving behind. Teddy Roosevelt is rolling over in his grave.

:angry:

Sounds like we might need Sanford to run for Pres.

Sounds like we might need Sanford to run for Pres.

That is not out of the question. There are rumors that he may do so, and there are many who would support him. These sites say 2008- But I'm thinking a little further out.... Sanford 2012.

http://www.republicanliberty.org/Sanford08/

http://www.petitiononline.com/msan2008/petition.html

Now, I realize that many of you will be vehemently opposed to this- however, I only mention it because you have to admit that regerdless of other policies that he has, Sanford is very good with his budgeting, and is a true fiscal conservative. IMO, a strong fiscal convservative would do a lot to sole this nation's financial woes whether it is Sanford or not.

.....IMO, a strong fiscal convservative would do a lot to sole this nation's financial woes whether it is Sanford or not.

As we had with the Clinton Administration. Clinton finally balanced the budget that was again in a mess from 12 years of Reagan/Bush Sr spending excesses, and we finally had a surplus that was paying down the principal on the national debt. It is atrocious the amount of debt that Bush, his cronies and the Republican congress has burdened the American taxpayer with since 2000. Our economy of prosperity created by the Clinton administration has disappeared and been replaced by bone crushing debt that will have to be paid off at some point. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that taxes are going to have to be raised once this bunch of idiots is out of office.

Republicans - Borrow and spend, let your children pay it off.

As we had with the Clinton Administration. Clinton finally balanced the budget that was again in a mess from 12 years of Reagan/Bush Sr spending excesses, and we finally had a surplus that was paying down the principal on the national debt. It is atrocious the amount of debt that Bush, his cronies and the Republican congress has burdened the American taxpayer with since 2000. Our economy of prosperity created by the Clinton administration has disappeared and been replaced by bone crushing debt that will have to be paid off at some point. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that taxes are going to have to be raised once this bunch of idiots is out of office.

Republicans - Borrow and spend, let your children pay it off.

I agree. Clinton was good at that. I do take issue with HOW Clinton was able to do that. (Rasing Social Security taxes for one thing). But its well established that the prosperous economy under Clinton had peaked and was starting to decline when Bush took office. That doesnt give any excuse for Bush's mismanagement. Bush is not a good republican at all. This very issue is of critical importance to me. I, for one, plan to vote for the candidate that will do the best job in rectifying the debt situation.

In an effort to make a little money to counter the huge spending and resulting budget deficits of the the Bush Administration, the 2007 Bush Budget includes a provision to sell off our national forest land to private development. In Sorth Carolina the proposal so far is:
  • Sumter National Forest - 3,569 acres

• Francis Marion National Forest - 1,095 acres

I hope everyone has written to their congress members.

Archived