Greenville Dog Park

EDPro

Leadership Greenville Class 32 is currently raising funds to construct a dog park in Cleveland Park. The Dog Park will be located at Woodland Way and Woodland Way Circle (and the Reedy River).

Looks like it will be a pretty large fenced-in area with new patio area. I don't believe there is any website for it yet, but if you'd like more information emailed to you in a .pdf form, please email [email protected]. They are selling $100 bricks to honor your own dog(s).

If this class does half as good of a job on the Dog Park as an earlier class did on the Children's Garden at Linky Stone Park, Greenville's in for a real treat.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leadership Greenville Class 32 is currently raising funds to construct a dog park in Cleveland Park. The Dog Park will be located at Woodland Way and Woodland Way Circle (and the Reedy River).

Looks like it will be a pretty large fenced-in area with new patio area. I don't believe there is any website for it yet, but if you'd like more information emailed to you in a .pdf form, please email [email protected]. They are selling $100 bricks to honor your own dog(s).

If this class does half as good of a job on the Dog Park as an earlier class did on the Children's Garden at Linky Stone Park, Greenville's in for a real treat.

Great stuff EDPro!

Leadership Greenville is a true asset to the city. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

The sign is up at Cleveland Park announcing the bark park! :thumbsup: Looks like the detail of the park will make my dogs happy! :D It's going to be located in the park across the street from the stables. Another one of those great quality of life issues being addressed by the city. Here is a photo of the sign:

CIMG4601.jpg

Thanks gsupstate.

Looks like they need to refill the info box. :D

They really just need someone to stand there 24-7 and pass out the brochures. This part of the greenway is very busy with dog owners. In the few minutes it took me to take the picture, 5 or 6 people with their dogs came by. Of course their dogs and my dogs did the "meet and greet" thing. :D A couple of people chatted about how excited they were the dog park was happening. One girl ask me why I was photographing the sign.....a great window of opportunity that I jumped through to tell her about UP! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the city is planning to have "Pooch Passes".....a little tag or registration for the dogs that shows they are up to date on their shots. I know this may sound like a small detail, but lots of dogs in one park.....just like little children in daycare. Infections can be spread. Other cities I've lived in required that your dog be up to date on shots and obtain a permit from the Parks and Recreation board (Pooch Pass) for your dog to use the park. Haven't heard anything on this. Hope Greenville is following the same procedure.

• 5 months later...

Since the dog park is now open, I assume at least some of you have checked it out. I personally have mixed reactions towards it. Although, I am not a dog owner myself I do love dogs.

What are your reactions towards the park? I'm interested to hear what others are thinking about it.

We've taken our dogs twice now to Canine corner - the last two Sundays.

No additoinal tags are required, though the sign says your pets are supposed to be up to date on all their vaccinations, etc.

My dogs seemed to enjoy themselves quite a bit, most of the owners were very friendly as well. However the first week we were there an owner whose dog seemed quite aggressive, was too busy talking on the cellphone to try and control his dog, and clean up after his dog - which is a shame.

All in all I think the park is a good thing.

Since the dog park is now open, I assume at least some of you have checked it out. I personally have mixed reactions towards it. Although, I am not a dog owner myself I do love dogs.

What are your reactions towards the park? I'm interested to hear what others are thinking about it.

I am a HUGE fan of this park. It is so great a place for our community and provides wonderful opportunities to mix with other locals when the weather is nice. I wrote down a couple interesting quotes by users of the park recently, but have misplaced the pad. I'll try and find it soon. The comments have been positive all around. :thumbsup:

Hubby and I took our two dogs to the park a couple of Fridays ago. We were surprised how many people were there with their dogs on a Friday afternoon (we were there between about 3-5pm). I'd estimate 30-40 dogs and owners. For about the first half hour, our dogs stuck pretty close to us and just watched what the other dogs were doing, and then they gradually warmed up to running and playing with the other dogs. The park provided a great opportunity to let our dogs socialize with other dogs--they don't get to do that as often as we'd like.

The other dog owners there were friendly. One lady I spoke with briefly was concerned about what would happen if someone showed up with a clearly aggressive dog. I also noticed several dogs pooping and their owners not cleaning it up. Overall, our dogs had a terrific time at the park and we will definitely visit it again.

• 1 month later...

Just a note to weigh in on the all the positives this park has brought to the city. Besides the obvious aspect that my dog loves this place, the park has also become another social setting for people. My partner and I usually go the same time every week and we have met some great people. One couple in particular we would see over and over, enjoyed the conversation and actually met them for dinner a few weeks back....now get together on a regular basis.

I must say, this park has been a great addition to the city for both dogs and their owners! :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For other fans of the dog park, a note I received on e-mail:

All:

A head's up. We are planning a 1 year anniversary celebration to "unleash" our new sculpture High Four. Last year's event was a big success thanks to the participation and work of many of you on this e-mail list. The event will be on September 15th from 10am-2pm and be very similar to the Grand Opening Celebration.The plan is to have a vendor fair, demonstrations, children's activities and of course the unleashing of our sculpture. Other activities that weekend include Art in the Park and Southern Exposure. We feel the sculpture will add beautifully to Art in the Park.

If you'd like to participate, or just need more information, please send an e-mail to this address. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Archived